Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any MR2 Mk1 owners? Need a favour!
russbost

posted on 27/8/20 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Any MR2 Mk1 owners? Need a favour!

It's a bit of a cheeky ask, but I know we have some great guys (& gals) on here, so hoping someone can bail me out!

I have a F reg MR2 4AGE engine in a kitcar - at some time in its life the plugs that connect the loom to the distributor have been discarded & the wiring soldered together, I have strong suspicions that they may be incorrectly connected. Sometimes when you start the car it runs completely normally, absolutely fine, but sometimes it's as tho' it has started in a different "ignition mode" - it sounds as tho' timing is really retarded & if you try to rev, it won't rev out, just sounds really flat, turn it off & restart & everything is fine again, it rarely takes more than a couple of starts b4 everything returns to normal. All other wiring & sensors are standard, hence my suspicions of this distributor wiring. The odd thing is that the wiring colours don't match - from the loom I have 3 wires a black, a white & a red, the black & white go directly to the ECU, (but don't match the pins on a wiring diagram I found!)
unsure at present where the red goes. At the distributor the wiring colours are red, blue & white, the way it's currently connected (dist to loom) is red to black, white to white & blue to black.

Is there any possibility one of you wonderful people could peel a bit of loom back adjacent to the plug (plug is 3 wire plug right near the distributor) each side & tell me which wire is connected to which?

I have tried various combinations &, weirdly it seems to run in each of them, but I need to know which is correct so I can then proceed to set timing up correctly etc.

Checking the wiring to the distributor, I know it has 2 different types of sensors, one of which generates 4 pulses & the other generates multiple pulses (12 or 24 per revolution IIRC), the white wire shows 160 ohms between it & the blue & the same 160 ohms between it & red, so I assume they share an earth & the red & blue relate to the 2 pickups, just to make things more confusing, go inside the distributor itself & the wiring colours are just black & white! no red or blue in sight, they must change colour within the actual moulded connection into the distributor!!!

Any assistance much appreciated, I've looked at the manual & various wiring diagrams but nothing really helps!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 27/8/20 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have an mr2, but...
it sounds like it is going into a valet parking mode, which when I look it up, some toyota's limit it to 4000rpm

russbost

posted on 27/8/20 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a bit sophisticated for something of that age?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 27/8/20 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh it's going back years now to when I megasquirted my 3SGTE of the same era, and the toyota ignition module, if it doesn't get accurate feedback from the cam/dizzy VRs, flat refuses to rev over 5500rpm. It will still start and run, but runs like a bag of spanners.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/8/20 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh it's going back years now to when I megasquirted my 3SGTE of the same era, and the toyota ignition module, if it doesn't get accurate feedback from the cam/dizzy VRs, flat refuses to rev over 5500rpm. It will still start and run, but runs like a bag of spanners.

Ah hang on, not the same ignitor I don't think. Ignore me, I did spend forever fighting a 5500rpm limit due to this but it looks like you don't have the same sensor/wiring setup.

[Edited on 27/8/20 by coyoteboy]

JonBowden

posted on 29/8/20 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 4age from an MR2. it will use standard injection.
I have taken a picture of the loom side of the distributor connector but can't upload it

I could email it to you

The wiring goes:

Dist Red --> Loom White
Dist Black --> Loom Black
Dist White --> Loom Red

So the wiring is not what you'd expect.

If it helps, I have quite a bit of 4age documentation, PDF manuals and wiring diagrams

[Edited on 27/2/24 by _luke]

Jon

russbost

posted on 29/8/20 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
I have a 4age from an MR2. it will use standard injection.
I have taken a picture of the loom side of the distributor connector but can't upload it"

I could email it to you

The wiring goes:

Dist Red --> Loom White
Dist Black --> Loom Black
Dist White --> Loom Red

So the wiring is not what you'd expect.

If it helps, I have quite a bit of 4age documentation, PDF manuals and wiring diagrams

Hi Jon, thanks for the info, if you could email it to russbost@googlemail.com would be handy. Are your colours at distributor definitely red black & white, I have red blue & white?

I've now discovered that the reason I couldn't find where the red wire in the loom went back to is that it had a break in it! I now find it does go back to the ECU as you would expect

What pins on the ECU does your manual show the distributor wiring going back to as the only decent wiring diagram I can find defo doesn't match the pins my 3 wires go to!

[Edited on 27/2/24 by _luke]

JonBowden

posted on 29/8/20 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have sent the photo to your email.
The distributor wire probably is blue - but it was a dark blackish colour.
I'll look up what diagrams I have and get them to you.

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 29/8/20 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
ok, a bit more digging.
There is a 4age manual at http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/4A-GEManual.pdf
There seem to be a few different ECU pin-outs.
If you open the ECU, the pins will be labeled in tiny writing
The pins you want will be labeled G, G- and NE
I will send you a simple ignition wiring diagram by email

Jon

russbost

posted on 30/8/20 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jon, not had a proper chance to look at it all yet, but I think that's exactly what I need, particularly knowing if I open ECU can get the pins identified, you defo seem to have a black wire where I have blue, but I'm guessing as the other 2 wires are the same the ble is the same as the black, I think the wiring diagrams you've sent will confirm anyway, much more comprehensive than anything I'd found

I will post findings when I get a look at it Tuesday/Wednesday in case it's of any use to someone else in future

russbost

posted on 3/9/20 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
OK, all sorted, many thanks!

In case anyone has similar issues. on my ecu labelled Denso 89661-17140 & 175700-1042

G- is pin 3, loom wire is red connects to the distributor white wire which is common to both sensors
G is pin 4 Black wire in loom connects to blue or black wire at distributor which is the 4 pulse sensor
NE is pin13 White wire in loom connects to red at distributor which is the multi pulse sensor

Totally bizarre system & can't work out how it was even running b4 as the red wire was broken within the loom which you would expect to kill both sensors!

Once restarted & checked timing was a fair way out, but all working fine now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.