Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mazda mx5 donor uprights and CV joint separation
Slimy38

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
mazda mx5 donor uprights and CV joint separation

I felt it was time that I did what was required of me. Up until now I had worked with the uprights and driveshafts being one single piece, it's been ok during build but I think it's now time to replace the bearings and CV joints.

The nut was the first task, a few hours with a powerfile managed to get that off (breaker bar and scaffold pole wasn't even getting close). Now I need to press the joint out. I have been reading that it's either a case of a 'quick tap' and they come apart, or they need 20+ tons of pressure to open. Mine seem to be in the latter camp unfortunately.

Considering I'm replacing the CV joint and the bearing, is there a way of being a little more destructive than normal? For example, I was thinking about some way of getting to the bearing circlip to release it, then press everything out at once. The last wheel bearing I did (on another car) just disintegrated under pressure, apart from the need to remove the outer race from the hub it actually worked quite well.

Is this possible or am I heading for trouble? I'm guessing the stub axle is hardened in some way.

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/20 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do I understand you want to pull the drive flange off the CV joint --- japanese cars are usually difficult it ends up needing real heat and a large press type puller as they use permanent grade "Loctite"

To pull the shaft out from the cv joint is usually easy but there is a reltively cheap puller for that job.

[Edited on 22/9/20 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 22/9/20 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I just want to remove the driveshaft from the upright. Probably the easiest way to describe it is to say I'm using one of these;

Bolted to the wheel studs.... unfortunately 30 years of UK weather have turned the hub and the splined shaft into one piece of metal.

britishtrident

posted on 23/9/20 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
On a Japanese car you will struggle with that tool. Generally because of the vibration screw type pullers work a lot better with an impact wrench than a long breaker bar.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.