Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helpful IVA guide from Caterham link
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/9/20 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Helpful IVA guide from Caterham link

I'm sure they don't mind me sharing this, but this guide pointed out a lot of things I hadn't even considered, like covering the alternator and starter terminals.

Their build manuals are also very interesting

linky



[Edited on 24/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Mr+Whippy 's Aim
Deckman001

posted on 24/9/20 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for this, It's raised a few concerns that i need to check before I get any further with my application.

Jason

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 24/9/20 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting. How come Caterhams can get away with a 'spring' type clip as the front fastening for the bonnet? Is it because it's "behind" the front wheel?
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 24/9/20 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
If only my car was going to be that easy....
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 24/9/20 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what thread type and size harness bolts are as std, as per the link above, my top mount bolts don't protrude below the welded in threaded sleeve as it's about 60mm long so I'll need over 80mm long bolts to be able to see them below the tubes

Jason

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 24/9/20 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Does anyone know what thread type and size harness bolts are as std, as per the link above, my top mount bolts don't protrude below the welded in threaded sleeve as it's about 60mm long so I'll need over 80mm long bolts to be able to see them below the tubes

Jason


7/16ths UNF is one standard for harness bolts, but there is a metric option too. A quick Google will turn up the details I am sure.

My understanding is they need to be secured - e.g. with a nyloc on the end - hence they need to prortude. If the sleeve is threaded you could have a plain nut at the bottom (?) or I would think you could use a nordloc washer or similar.

[Edited on 24/9/20 by jps]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 24/9/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have got one of those washers at the top just below the top hat washer allowing the triangle to spin when the bolt is tight.
I measured the bolt i took out and the gauge said 3/8 for the outside, I guess I need to take it to a specialist nuts and bolts supplier for them to make sure what it is before I splash out on 4 of them for my mounts ?

Jason

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 24/9/20 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Why would top harness mounts need to have a secondary nut, they can't possibly rotate when the harness is connected? Or am I missing something again. Never going to get this thing finished. Every time I come on here there is something else to sort out.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 24/9/20 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Why would top harness mounts need to have a secondary nut, they can't possibly rotate when the harness is connected? Or am I missing something again. Never going to get this thing finished. Every time I come on here there is something else to sort out.


Yep that's how I feel at times, but keep going, it should be worth it in the end matey.

Jason

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/20 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the IVA manual I can't see anything about requiring a second nut on threaded sleeves or the requirement for a self locking nut be used. I have welded on harness nuts for the lower mounts just as all production cars use and it would be impossible to use a nyloc nut in that situation. My top mounts in the roll bar are through welded in tubes (no thread) and do have long bolts with nyloc's on them as with plain nuts they could in time become loose and the nuts fall off. I seem to mind a 3 threads past the nyloc rule my MOT inspector once told me. Deckman001 tbh I think what you have will be fine.

Looking at Caterham's example they will have used a nyloc because the bolt goes through the floor and it's not captive so could work loose over time and drop off and you'd be none the wiser.

[Edited on 25/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Mr+Whippy 's Aim
40inches

posted on 25/9/20 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Looking at the IVA manual I can't see anything about requiring a second nut on threaded sleeves or the requirement for a self locking nut be used. I have welded on harness nuts for the lower mounts just as all production cars use and it would be impossible to use a nyloc nut in that situation. My top mounts in the roll bar are through welded in tubes (no thread) and do have long bolts with nyloc's on them as with plain nuts they could in time become loose and the nuts fall off. I seem to mind a 3 threads past the nyloc rule my MOT inspector once told me. Deckman001 tbh I think what you have will be fine.

Looking at Caterham's example they will have used a nyloc because the bolt goes through the floor and it's not captive so could work loose over time and drop off and you'd be none the wiser.

[Edited on 25/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

Exactly my thoughts. A locking nut is only required if a captive thread isn't used.
There are weld/rivet on nuts for use on sheet metal eBay Item

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 25/9/20 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Here: https://www.tillett.co.uk/shop/documents/downloads/seat-belt-fitting-information-2012.pdf

It instructs you to use either spring washers or Loctite 243 to secure any bolts. I can't see why you wouldn't do one of these, and mark the bolts so you could see if they were coming loose.

This is an interesting watch too - although obviously marketing and whether the vibration levels/bolt size/torque values map across well to a 7 is another question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

[Edited on 25/9/20 by jps]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 25/9/20 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, all your comments are very welcome, I'll put the original one back in using the correctly as supplied washers and see how it goes.

So last thing now is to tether my petrol cap,,,, hmmm. lol

Jason

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/20 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps


This is an interesting watch too - although obviously marketing and whether the vibration levels/bolt size/torque values map across well to a 7 is another question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

[Edited on 25/9/20 by jps]


Just for your info that vibration test rig sat on a BEC with solid engine mounts

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Mr+Whippy 's Aim
harmchar

posted on 26/9/20 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I was maybe too hasty with my question about top harness fixing requiring a retaining nut. I am using eye bolts for my top mounts, screwed into a bush that goes right through my rollover bar and welded both top and bottom. Hope this is still allowed with eye bolts.
I suppose if someone uses the bolt type, they could back off eventually.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.