Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for suggestions for pulling this out of a x/flow block [SOLVED]
David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/20 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for suggestions for pulling this out of a x/flow block [SOLVED]

Currently my x/flow engine has one of these where the crankcase breather box normally fits:

https://www.burtonpower.com/breather-elbow-23-5mm-ford-x-flow-691m-711m-ohv-kent-fp280a.html

Unfortunately, as the advertising says, it's an interference fit... and it doesn't want to come out of the hole. There's precious little room around it, so there's little chance of getting a great big pipe wrench in there. Destructive removal is acceptable as I'm not planning to reuse it, but I don't want any swarf going down into the sump. It's too close to the fuel lines to risk a blowtorch to "encourage it" out of the hole.

Any bright ideas? The only thing I can think of is an inertia puller, but I haven't got one of those - although I could make one at a push.

[Edited on 28/9/20 by David Jenkins]

[Edited on 28/9/20 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 28/9/20 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I put one in my Pinto some years back.

Can you get hold og the outlet pipe and pull that out of the turned Ally part?

If you can you may be able insert a metal rod into the hole and use that to try and turn the ally part in the engine block. If you can get it turning you should be able to force it up and out of the block. It'll take some time and effort, but avoid drilling and any swarf potential. From memory it wasn't that tight an interference fit in my Pinto block, your X-Flow may be different of course.

steve m

posted on 28/9/20 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem, and i put a 1/4 drive extension bar through the output hole, and twisted mine off in gradual stages

Once a gap appears between the breather and block, a srcewdriver can be used to help while still twisting

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/20 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
It is well jammed in!

It's been there for more than 10 years, so there may be some corrosion involved (but that's unlikely on a x/flow block, with all the oil that gets everywhere!).

I think I'm going to have to wait until I've got everything off that side of the block (carbs, etc) and see how much space I've got.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/20 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it - I might have the makings of a slide hammer somewhere - I put one together to pull the half-shafts out of my back axle. I wonder where I put all the parts...

rusty nuts

posted on 28/9/20 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
When I did away with my distributor the bung I made was drilled and tapped just in case. Freezer spray might help
David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/20 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Got the blighter!

Cleared everything out of the way, and *just* managed to get great big pipe spanner onto it. Couple of tugs and it came free...

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

nick205

posted on 28/9/20 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent - where there's a will there's a way!
jacko

posted on 28/9/20 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
They call him Dave not Will
G

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/9/20 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Will's my middle name!

Anyway, I thought it was "Where there's a will, there's a relative".

jacko

posted on 28/9/20 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Will's my middle name!

Anyway, I thought it was "Where there's a will, there's a relative".

👍👍😀

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.