Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: An IVA Fail ( as expected )
Deckman001

posted on 15/10/20 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
An IVA Fail ( as expected )

Hi all,

I had an interesting day at IVA yesterday. my original test was booked for the 15th, but on the 12th i received a call to cancel that appointment, but he then offered me the 14th instead but it would be a long test due to the examiner being instructed at the same time, I bit his hand off to get the test.
I wasn't confident for a pass as this is my first car build, and it went as expected. I'll get a list of failures in an email later today they said, that's due to the tester being instructed yesterday and at several points of the day I had three testers looking over my car.
They were though very good, and they talked about each and every issue, even to the point of explaining why the fail and what could be done to engineer away from the issue.
I managed to get a pass on things i expected to fail on and a fail on things I had expected to pass on.
Passed things like
noise,, only 88db @4100rpm !!
Frontal projections.
Complete interior including seats, mountings, seat belts, dash, steering column and wheel and arm foot and leg contactable areas.
Mirrors and vision.
Braking.

Some of the fail; points in order i remember them, not severity,

Pull wire left in place for high level brake light, never fitted so wire shouldn't have been left there.
petrol tank needs obvious earthing, not just the sender.
Petrol tank need securing in a better way, so as not to be able to move -D'oh
Fuel pump needs a different way of being padded and or secured.
Fuel tank breather pipe had a small crack in it and no markings.
Hand brake cable (off side) needs re-routing so as not to rub/foul on anything.
exhaust clamp needs rotating slightly.
Bonnet cut out for exhaust needs rounding off to 2.5mm radius at the front as it could be contacted by the impact ball.
Off side rear arch lower edge needs a 2.5mm radius.
An engine water pipe needs to be stopped from rubbing/chafing on fitting.
two brake tee joints needs confirming of fixings.
brake pipes from reservoir to master cylinders need extending to cover the fixed pipes correctly.
Starter motor cable needs re-routing so as not to rub/chafe on an engine mount.
Bias brake bar couldn't be inspected for correct locking of both ends of the bar due to obstructions.
Brake bias system needs an extra label at the reservoir explaining not to tamper with the brake bias bar.
Manufacturers plate not shown.
Chassis number plate not welded in on all four sides.
Engine is a 1979 x/flow so needs a slight emissions test, failed on the H/C level, engine ran like a pig while there for some reason.
4" Dominator headlights had a kick up on the wrong side, three cars the day before failed for the same reason using the same lights.
Rear fog light was able to be put on with only side lights tuned on. Should be dipped or main beam only.
Reverse switch cable connections need insulating.
Front uprights top ball joints need different nuts so as to show a full thread protruding the nuts.
Speedo stopped working once up to third gear !!
Self centering worked on one side, but not the other.

There will be some more but I can't remember them at the moment.

As you can tell, most are me being dumb and not doing things properly or checking correctness, and some things have already been put right as two minute jobs.

I'll take my time and work through the list when received to make sure things are done properly and a re-test can be done within the next 6 months with no upper limit of attempts except financial ones.

Over all, i am very pleased with passing so much of the test and it was a great experience doing the IVA.

Slater

posted on 15/10/20 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
At least you now have a clear list of jobs to do, most of them easy fixes too.

Must have been a bit nerve wracking having 3 examiners looking at your build, looking at some of your fails seems like they went over it with a fine toothcomb, but I guess they need to set an example for the new chap.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

steve m

posted on 15/10/20 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Jason

That does not seem to be a bad fail, and pretty well most of the issues appear to be a very easy fix

I can not fathom, how self steering works on one side, but not the other, as you tuned them both at the same time with my tool, and assuming the results were the same

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

40inches

posted on 15/10/20 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater

Must have been a bit nerve wracking having 3 examiners looking at your build, looking at some of your fails seems like they went over it with a fine toothcomb, but I guess they need to set an example for the new chap.

My thoughts exactly.
With regard to the Dominators, that is a known problem, there is a notch on the bezel, you need to file another one so that the beam
kicks to the left

Deckman001

posted on 15/10/20 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by Slater

My thoughts exactly.
With regard to the Dominators, that is a known problem, there is a notch on the bezel, you need to file another one so that the beam
kicks to the left

Very interesting thought, I did consider this, but the 'kick-up' was a bit hazy so I'm not convinced they would accept it as a flat level beam ? Also, the main flat beam was a good long level line of light and the kick up is a lot smaller so just turning them to get the kick up would only give a small level line and a big kick up to the left, making the most light shine go away from the road where it's needed. They might be an MOT pass but can't imagine they'll ever get an IVA pass

Yeah as have said, the list is long, but most things are easy to sort ( so should have been spotted by me before ) Have already sorted 4

Steve, I only checked one side as I assumed they would be the same each side. Steering effort was assessed to be acceptable, but it is a bit stiff if the ball joint nuts are done up really tight, does that sound like the ball joints could do with being replaced before I start the set up again?

Yes a bit nerve racking to start with, but once I knew the fail list had started, I relaxed nicely and we all had a great day to be honest have a good laugh at some things car related and sharing lots of motoring tales along the way, Very decent chaps and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Gillingham test centre for a fair assessment of your build.

Jason

[Edited on 15/10/20 by Deckman001]

Deckman001

posted on 15/10/20 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Jason

That does not seem to be a bad fail, and pretty well most of the issues appear to be a very easy fix

I can not fathom, how self steering works on one side, but not the other, as you tuned them both at the same time with my tool, and assuming the results were the same

steve

Yeah their assessment exactly, we chatted about it for quite a bit of time, them asking questions, me giving my answers and then more head scratching to find a resolution from them. As said before, these were really top blokes who wanted to help me all the way through.

Jason

nick205

posted on 15/10/20 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
quote:
Jason

steve

Yeah their assessment exactly, we chatted about it for quite a bit of time, them asking questions, me giving my answers and then more head scratching to find a resolution from them. As said before, these were really top blokes who wanted to help me all the way through.

Jason

As monetioned you seem to have a clear list to work through.

When I did SVA I failed first time around, but likewise I found the inspector (one guy for me) to be very helpful with comments and suggestions on what to do to get the car through on the re-test. I'm pretty sure most of them inspectors are keen to see people succeed.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 15/10/20 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the IVA failed club mate, glad you got your test date!

Looks like they should be fairly easy fixes - if you're like me, it's nice to have a list of things to sort rather than the pre-IVA guessing!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Deckman001

posted on 15/10/20 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thanks, I'm working through them, I think I'm just over half way through them already, But the email from Mr IVA hasn't arrived yet with the confirmed list, so I am just using my list to carry on. My biggest issues I think money wise will be new head lights like my 'Dominater' ones as i really like the small ones, and if i can't get my car happy with the bike carbs, I'll need a replacement inlet manifold and carb.

The Fog light fail is a strange one , I bought the wiring harness over 14 years ago and it uses a std illumination link to feed the fog light switch, instead of now needing a link from the headlights dipped and full beam cables instead. Am sure a couple of decent diodes can help sort this out

Jason

jps

posted on 16/10/20 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The Fog light fail is a strange one , I bought the wiring harness over 14 years ago and it uses a std illumination link to feed the fog light switch, instead of now needing a link from the headlights dipped and full beam cables instead. Am sure a couple of decent diodes can help sort this out

I could be wrong, but I think this is a requirement which has changed at some point in the last few years (certainly in the time i've had my project - which is less than 14 years!).

Other than that, it sounds like you're very close to the pass, and it must be nice to have a defined set of issues to work through - and i am sure LCB has lots of hints and tips in past posts about sorting issues!

40inches

posted on 16/10/20 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

I could be wrong, but I think this is a requirement which has changed at some point in the last few years (certainly in the time i've had my project - which is less than 14 years!).

Other than that, it sounds like you're very close to the pass, and it must be nice to have a defined set of issues to work through - and i am sure LCB has lots of hints and tips in past posts about sorting issues!

The crucial word is "OR"

4.The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam OR front fog lamps are lit (see alternatives in Notes 3and 4).

Deckman001

posted on 16/10/20 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

The crucial word is "OR"

4.The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam OR front fog lamps are lit (see alternatives in Notes 3and 4).

Yes that's right, my inspector read that part out straight away and i realised that my loom was installed many years ago and I didn't realise my mods to the fog light switch about not being able to turn back on when the lights get turned off and back on was all i had to do to sort it, my bad for not reading it correctly and just assuming I had done it right cos I didn't read it correctly before

steve m

posted on 16/10/20 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
jason

The mod to get the fog light to work is pretty easy, as long as your running two seperate relays for the headlights
From the relay switched on live terminal on the dip side, run another wire directly to the fog light switch as its own dedicated live feed,
Therefore, the fog light can only be on, on or off once the dip lights are switched on,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 16/10/20 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
jason

The mod to get the fog light to work is pretty easy, as long as your running two seperate relays for the headlights
From the relay switched on live terminal on the dip side, run another wire directly to the fog light switch as its own dedicated live feed,
Therefore, the fog light can only be on, on or off once the dip lights are switched on,

steve

Hi Steve,

I think I have already sorted that issue in my head. I already have a mod fitted that stops the fog light from automatically re lighting if the lights are turned off and back on. so all i have to do is for the initial feed to get power from the dip and main beam cables, and a diode in each line so as to stop any back feed from one light feed to the other .
This may not be the automotive way to do this, but as I work with low voltage controls I know how I can do it anyway

Jason

harmchar

posted on 17/10/20 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I pondered over the fog light issue for a while. Trying to avoid buying the device linked. https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/rear-fog-controller-for-new-iva-rules
I tried wiring up an Audi A4 light switch, but it got way too complicated. In the end I bought the device and was fitted easy enough.
That's a pretty good fail list to work on. Hope I get something similar when I eventually get round to it.

Deckman001

posted on 18/10/20 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
I pondered over the fog light issue for a while. Trying to avoid buying the device linked. https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/rear-fog-controller-for-new-iva-rules
I tried wiring up an Audi A4 light switch, but it got way too complicated. In the end I bought the device and was fitted easy enough.
That's a pretty good fail list to work on. Hope I get something similar when I eventually get round to it.

Yeah Carbuilder solution have been my saviour !! And it's their extra switch that I am using to give it the feed wire from the lights.

Most of the fails are old things I had forgotten about over the years of the build.
For example, forgot to remove a pull wire from the system, installed ready for a high level brake light. D'oh. Un-insulated and unsecured cable.
Fuel tank not properly secured, had just been put in place without the thought of can it move D'oh.
Fuel pipes not all showing the pipes are capable of carrying fuel.
Not all nuts on the end of bolts showing at least 1.5 threads past the nut.
Rear arches leading edge was cut to the shape of the car, so exposed the edge to the 2.5mm radius tool, edge trim has sorted that.
Bias set up couldn't be seen at one end due to the clutch pedal retaining bracket, and not having the 1.5 threads exposed after the nut.
As a Bias system is installed, an extra label is needed to inform next owner not to change the setting as this would invalidate the brake set up.
That sort of thing

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.