Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pulsar Sportscars
lsdweb

posted on 21/11/20 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pulsar Sportscars

Hi All

I'm doing some digging into Pulsar sports cars and was wondering if anybody on here has one; there were only about 15 made and some other cars that used the bodywork I believe. I know the 'company' is up for sale hence my research :-)

Thanks

Wyn

Sam_68

posted on 21/11/20 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've not owned one, but I guess my first question would be what exactly it is you're buying.

IIRC (I could be wrong) the original project passed to MNR and the version that they built was based on their own chassis, with pushrod front suspension and IRS (whereas the original had a bespoke chassis designed by Rob Bicknell, with outboard front suspension and a Mumford Linked live axle at the back).

In other words, they were completely different cars, in engineering terms, just carrying the same bodywork and the 'Pulsar' name.

lsdweb

posted on 21/11/20 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Sam

I'm in lengthy discussions with the seller and pretty clear about what's on the table and the involvement of others. Still.early days though.

I was more interested to find some of the original cars.

Wyn

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
I've not owned one, but I guess my first question would be what exactly it is you're buying.

IIRC (I could be wrong) the original project passed to MNR and the version that they built was based on their own chassis, with pushrod front suspension and IRS (whereas the original had a bespoke chassis designed by Rob Bicknell, with outboard front suspension and a Mumford Linked live axle at the back).

In other words, they were completely different cars, in engineering terms, just carrying the same bodywork and the 'Pulsar' name.

femster87

posted on 21/11/20 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart Taylor developed the first chassis I believe. Great chassis and the fabrication looked good
SPYDER

posted on 21/11/20 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR engined live axle Pulsar at Pembrey. Watch Race 1 too. Mental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoy3zNKynI&t=201s

Sam_68

posted on 22/11/20 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
Stuart Taylor developed the first chassis I believe. Great chassis and the fabrication looked good

Stuart Taylor had the project several steps after Rob Bicknell - it was Bicknell who designed the first chassis. The project went through several hands before it reached MNR and, as above, about the only resemblance between the MNR version and the original was the bodyshell. Everyone who held the project dabbled with the chassis design along the way, hence my comment - if the OP wants to find owners of the 'original' cars, he will need to define 'original'.

I was under the impression that there were only two properly 'original' RBM cars built - a white one and a yellow one, neither road legal. The project then passed to Brace Engineering, who developed it for bike power as per Spyder's link. I believe that Midas Metalcraft in Bedfordshire and Caged over in Somerset have also had a hand in various generations of the chassis development/fabrication.

The original design was very nice indeed, hence I've vaguely followed the project from the outset, but it's one of those cars that has been passed from pillar to post with nobody every managing to sell more than the odd one or two, and with the design being progressively diluted along the way.

SPYDER

posted on 22/11/20 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I remember asking Tim Gray, the driver in the video, to name his favourite car. He named the Pulsar. It's obvious from the Pembrey race footage that he relished driving it.
lsdweb

posted on 22/11/20 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everybody.

It's true there have been a few iterations of the car, although the same could be said for other kit manufacturers I guess.

Ta

Wyn

TimC

posted on 23/11/20 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve always liked this Pulsar - nearly bought a STM kit when I instead built my Vortx.
procomp

posted on 23/11/20 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Original as you may know was Rob Bicknels project, Then taken over by Phill Second name escapes me. I did some work on the project with phill, infact he still has a diff unit here. Then friend STM motorport took it over When Tim Grey was driving one for Ian. The cars where mainly just pulsar body's over STM phoenix chassis. Hence there's a lot of cars but most are only Pulsar body's on various Sylvia / STM phoenix chassis.

The only thing that let the Pulsar down was its Aero, Tim Grey proved that by running car with Pulsar body and same track following week with striker body work. It was much faster in Striker form than Pulsar setup. the same was proved with the simalar shaped car i owned the moulds for the Westfield SS sports. I am not sure how many genuine Pulsar Robs chassis and body are actually out there but most are various Phoenix chassis STM / Sylva with pulsar body's fitted. Never straight forward in the kit car world.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 23/11/20 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp Then taken over by Phill Second name escapes me.

Phil Alcock?

But that was a LONG time after the project had moved on from Rob Bicknell.

lsdweb

posted on 23/11/20 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Phil Alcock bought the company in 2005 I believe.
Rich J

posted on 23/11/20 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
For sale over the water

Should have stuck with the Striker Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 24/11/20 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
That's the chap who's selling the business too Rich!

And yes, I probably should have stuck with the Striker although I made a couple of quid on it and I have the Fury ready to 'clean up for next season depending on lots of other factors. My funeral director is now in and up and running so I can, at least take a breather for a couple of days!

Wyn

[Edited on 24/11/20 by lsdweb]

SPYDER

posted on 24/11/20 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich J
For sale over the water

Should have stuck with the Striker Wyn

Am I right in thinking that the black car for sale and the blue car in the Pembrey video are one and the same?

procomp

posted on 24/11/20 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
The Blue car in Video with Tim driving is Phill's car one of the originals, after i had just fitted a better ratio diff for the engine. But was still lacking the straight line speed really needed for the longer tracks. Not much choice in BL ratios though.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 27/11/20 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've pulled out of any potential sale. The figures weren't adding up for me at the asking price and it had to be a 'sensible' financial decision.

There are others interested apparently though so, hopefully, the brand / cars will re-emerge.

TimC

posted on 29/11/20 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
The Original as you may know was Rob Bicknels project, Then taken over by Phill Second name escapes me. I did some work on the project with phill, infact he still has a diff unit here. Then friend STM motorport took it over When Tim Grey was driving one for Ian. The cars where mainly just pulsar body's over STM phoenix chassis. Hence there's a lot of cars but most are only Pulsar body's on various Sylvia / STM phoenix chassis.

The only thing that let the Pulsar down was its Aero, Tim Grey proved that by running car with Pulsar body and same track following week with striker body work. It was much faster in Striker form than Pulsar setup. the same was proved with the simalar shaped car i owned the moulds for the Westfield SS sports. I am not sure how many genuine Pulsar Robs chassis and body are actually out there but most are various Phoenix chassis STM / Sylva with pulsar body's fitted. Never straight forward in the kit car world.

Hi Matt,

Are you sure that you aren’t confusing Fulcrum aero story with Pulsar? I think you might be - the Fulcrum was apparently a brick. In fact, I’m sure Austen once told me that the usual slip-streaming benefit at Snetterton was greatly reduced when following the Pulsar as it cut through the air so well.

procomp

posted on 30/11/20 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
NO, i didn't have anything to do with the fulcrum setup. as i say i did a fair bit with the pulsar with Phil and then Ian took it on as a body to put over the Phoenix chassis. The Pulsar is basically to tall to blunt. There was 3 or 4 running in Sports specials, all reverted back to the Phoenix body hence there's many pulsar body's lying around un used.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.