Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How not to buy a dog...
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/21 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
How not to buy a dog...

Oh dear so one of our closest family friends is in a total mess.

After her beloved dogs died and then two cats in a row got run over. She decided to buy a new puppy and with prices now reach truly idiotic levels she put down a very hefty £1300 deposit on a £1800 puppy. That's right she sent them a bank transfer for a dog she's never seen to someone she's never met.... It's a real shame she didn't mention that to us before she did it.

Yeah it was a scam and they've vanished. She's in bits, had to explain to the kids their not getting the puppy and she still has to face the husband when he returns from offshore. My wife was going to go round to comfort her but she's went to bed in tears.

There's no shortage of scumbags that's for sure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 1/4/21 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
That's awful.
coyoteboy

posted on 1/4/21 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bank will attempt to reverse the transfer if she's got evidence it was fraudulent. Police will attempt to find the account registered address.

ReMan

posted on 2/4/21 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
You feel bad for them don’t you, that they dint mention it and now it’s too late for you to stop them

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

steve m

posted on 2/4/21 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I am sorry shes thrown her money away, but who in their wisdom, would bank transfer £1300 to someone they have never met, nor seen the dog ??

A fool and there money are easily parted

I doubt the banks will do a thing as Certainly with our Bank accounts, once you have agreed to all the terms and conditions, in transferring money, thats the end of it, there is no redress

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mash

posted on 8/4/21 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
All too common I'm afraid.

Crazy that you should have to spend that sort of money on a dog, but with a Labrador puppy now costing over £3k form anywhere half decent, people are fooled into parting with money for a "bargain".

Sadly, the old adage applies, "If it looks too good to b e true, it probably is"

I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was just someone with a torch bringing me more stuff to do

spiderman

posted on 8/4/21 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
There are rescue kennels full of dogs and puppies needing a forever home and a second chance. If people are prepared to spend that sort of money for a dog then you can see why puppy farms and dog thieves exist and why scumbags will take advantage of vulnerable people.
I empathise with your friend as she must be feeling at a loss for having lost so much in such a short space of time and that's possibly why she has made some bad judgements.

Spider

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/21 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
We got our dog from a rescue kennel, and it cost us about £30 as a contribution to the kennel's costs. We estimate that he was around 12 - 18 months old, and he lasted until he was around 15 years old. Best value!

The added advantage of a mongrel is that they (usually) don't suffer from any of the ailments that in-breeding cause.

quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
There are rescue kennels full of dogs and puppies needing a forever home and a second chance. If people are prepared to spend that sort of money for a dog then you can see why puppy farms and dog thieves exist and why scumbags will take advantage of vulnerable people.
I empathise with your friend as she must be feeling at a loss for having lost so much in such a short space of time and that's possibly why she has made some bad judgements.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/21 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
We got our dog from a rescue kennel, and it cost us about £30 as a contribution to the kennel's costs. We estimate that he was around 12 - 18 months old, and he lasted until he was around 15 years old. Best value!

The added advantage of a mongrel is that they (usually) don't suffer from any of the ailments that in-breeding cause.

quote:

Have you tried adopting any dog from a rescue center lately? Yes there are loads of dogs needing rehoming but the hoops people have to jump through to get one end up putting people off, No wonder people go to puppy farms and pay extortionate fees or foreign rehoming centers

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/21 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Have you tried adopting any dog from a rescue center lately? Yes there are loads of dogs needing rehoming but the hoops people have to jump through to get one end up putting people off, No wonder people go to puppy farms and pay extortionate fees or foreign rehoming centers

The first place we went to was the local RSPCA - and we would never go there again. Some snooty girl asked us if we'd owned a dog before and, when we said no, looked down her nose at us and brushed us off. Then she quoted chapter and verse about all the hoops we'd have to go through before they'd deign to allow us to have one of their dogs, and finally told us what their fees were - high, of course.

After that we went to a smaller-scale kennels in Ipswich, run by The Dogs' Trust, I think. I phoned them first, and told her that we wanted "a general-purpose, medium-sized, short-haired mutt", at which she laughed and said that she had the perfect dog. He'd just come in, was freaking out in the kennels, probably had been treated roughly in the past, and she really wanted him to go to a good home ASAP. We turned up with the kids, fell for him immediately, had a home inspection a week later and then he was ours.

Not the brightest mutt in the world, but very good-natured. He was slim, well-fed and healthy, and I reckon that dog did between 3 and 5 miles a day, until he got too old!

spiderman

posted on 9/4/21 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I know that some re-homing centres can be quite an ordeal and expensive. However if you are looking for a dog that will be with you for years it is worth doing some research, shop around and don't buy the first one you see. The internet can turn up some surprising results and sites for all kinds of breeds, charities etc..(not all good) but seek advice before jumping straight in. I find it a bit sad when some people put more effort into buying a car or a kitchen than they do a dog, especially as a dog will give back so much more fun and enjoyment (and stress and heartache, dogs aren't all fun) than any material items. but will enrich your life so much more if you take the time to find the right dog.

I have given more consideration to adopting a dog than I have choosing partners, that's why I am divorced/single and now have 4 dogs. and probably a better person for it. Two I rescued from being drowned (along with 6 of their siblings, now rehomed ) I also inherited or was adopted by their mother and a farm guard dog when the owner passed away.

I know it is not easy these days to adopt a dog but worth the effort if you find the right place and the right dog.

[Edited on 9/4/21 by spiderman]

Spider

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/21 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ours ended up as a valued family member, and was sadly missed when he went. He could be a total PITA as he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, but he was loved.

James

posted on 9/4/21 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

After her beloved dogs died and then two cats in a row got run over. She decided to buy a new puppy and with prices now reach truly idiotic levels she put down a very hefty £1300 deposit on a £1800 puppy. That's right she sent them a bank transfer for a dog she's never seen to someone she's never met.... It's a real shame she didn't mention that to us before she did it.

Yeah it was a scam and they've vanished. She's in bits, had to explain to the kids their not getting the puppy and she still has to face the husband when he returns from offshore. My wife was going to go round to comfort her but she's went to bed in tears.

What a sh!tty thing to happen!

I don't get the dogs thing myself but people I care for greatfully, seem to absolutely love them and they treat them like an extra child so I can see how your friend is upset!

It's not inconceivable the bank/police might be able to do something so I would definitely suggest she tell them.

That fact that people fall for 419 scams shows how easy it is to fall prey to these scum so she shouldn't feel too bad. There's literally thousands of cases a year!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

spiderman

posted on 9/4/21 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ours ended up as a valued family member, and was sadly missed when he went. He could be a total PITA as he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, but he was loved.

Loosing them is the hardest part of being a dog guardian, I have come to accept the loss by rethinking that I gave them the happiest life I could although it is still painful and I have more to come, but would not change a thing.

They certainly can be a PITA and not all are that bright (that's character ) but they give back more than they receive, unconditionally.

Spider

spiderman

posted on 9/4/21 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

My heart goes out to your friend and I hope all will become resolved for the better.
If I can be of any assistance with advice on how to find a dog please feel free to passing on my details and I will do what I can to help.

Spider

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/21 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
They certainly can be a PITA and not all are that bright (that's character ) but they give back more than they receive, unconditionally.

The bright ones can be the hardest to deal with - border collies, jack russells, etc. are all extremely intelligent and can be a nightmare if they're not kept busy during normal waking hours.

Ours was quite happy to keep himself amused most of the time!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/21 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
So an update on this as a lot came out over the next few days and there was a resolution if a very expensive one...

It turned out that our friend had made multiple payments through bank transfers after the scammer kept coming up with reasons for payments such as kennel club fees, deposits etc and at one point she asked her dad if it sounded legitimate. Sadly he also thought it was and she payed them £1300 upfront. They then drove the 260 mile round trip to collect the puppy, only for the person at the given address to explain that they knew nothing about any puppies.

They then went to the local police station to report it, where the police threatened to charge both of them for breaking covid restrictions by travelling well outside their region without a valid reason. Fortunately they were let of with a bollocking.

Her dad felt bad for offering bad advice about sending further money so ended up driving down to Edinburgh (obviously the warning from the police fell on deaf ears...) and he bought a real puppy for £2400! which after seeing it I have to say is a rather timid unremarkable puppy and not really worth the £3700 spent getting it.

As others have said one from the cat and dog home would have been just as good.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 9/4/21 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The bright ones can be the hardest to deal with - border collies, jack russells, etc. are all extremely intelligent and can be a nightmare if they're not kept busy during normal waking hours...

^^ my parents have had 3 border collies in a row - all bred from working stock, so 'pure bred' rather than pedigree (and every single one of them a totally different size & coat type)
All of them have been brilliant - but they do have whole small holding they can run free round all day every day
I'd love to have one, but living in the town and being at work all day would just be cruel to that kind of dug

so we ended up with a pair of rescue cats instead (bog std. generic black short hair type) one is a bag of nerves and will only let my eldest handle her - but the other is huge and dumber than a sack of rocks and acts more like a lab half the time.... (including the eating till he's sick trick)

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.