Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump Removal Issue on Zetec
Slater

posted on 9/4/21 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Sump Removal Issue on Zetec

Glad we are back!

I've been over a very large speed bump and came down on the ali sump heavily and caused it to leak. I can't see exactly where the hole is yet.

I have removed all 10 bolts from the sump (5 either side) but it's the end near the bellhousing that won't drop down, I have loosened the engine/bellhousing bolt by 1/4" and forced it apart with screwdrivers, but still can't get the sump off, seems to be catching on the plate.

Next plan is to unbolt the rear gearbox mount from chassis to allow the box to slide back a bit more or.....

Do I need to fully separate the gearbox from the engine to get the sump off? This means getting engine out/ hoist etc.....

1.8 Silvertop Zetec with type 9 box.

Then I'll need to find the hole and see if the ali sump can be repaired.... any advice?

[Edited on 9-4-21 by Slater]

[Edited on 9-4-21 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

John G

posted on 9/4/21 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Some have one bolt on each side that goes from the bottom of the bell housing through to the sump. I have a spare sump if you are interested.
Regards Jon

big_wasa

posted on 9/4/21 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's more a case of getting the lip past the flywheel.
Slater

posted on 9/4/21 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about to try and move the gearbox back a bit and see if that gives enough clearance. If not it will be an engine out job.......and flywheel off if big Wasa is right, he seems to know his Zetecs.

John G, thanks for the offer, if my sump can't be repaired I might take up your offer.

here goes.....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

nelmo

posted on 10/4/21 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Is it an ERA sump from Tiger? If so, I had the same problem - it was caused by the windage tray which has curved up edges that were too close to the sump wall. As the sump tried to drop, the edge dug into the wall - harder I tried, worse it got.

In the end, I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the sump and use a screwdriver to lever the edge away from the wall! Ball ache! 🤪

Build Blog

Slater

posted on 10/4/21 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
The ali sump came from MAC#1 who also supplied the engine, looks to have been shortened with some decent welding. I'm hoping to find a good welding shop that can do some repairs.....

Anyway, the engine will need to come out to remove the sump, I've already removed all the ancillaries. I'll be getting a chain hoist on monday, so will report back next week after it's out.

Slater

posted on 8/5/21 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just to follow up I got my sump repaired and engine mounts modified by a chap who works from his shed and used to work on aircraft so is a good ali welder. It's all been refitted with engine mounted 19mm higher and gearbox mounted 10mm higher, so has increased my ground clearance.

Testing the repaired sump
[img] Sump test 8may21
Sump test 8may21
[/img]

Modified engine mounts
[img] engine mounts 8May21
engine mounts 8May21
[/img]

I've had to extend the holes in the bonnet to allow for the raised exhaust and air filter, and the alternator to chassis clearance is very tight.

I'm planning to make a better skid plate to go under the sump so will give better protection than previous one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.