Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coverting 1.6 to 1.8
FFMan

posted on 11/4/21 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Coverting 1.6 to 1.8

Just got my MX5 based 1.6 Locost out on track, and whilst i did have plans to go FI before it's first outing, I found that the balance etc was fun, and I don't think it needs 200hp, not sure it would actually improve it that much versus the cost and hassle and running.

So for a mild boost i thought i'd swap the 1.6 for a non-vvt 1.8. I found the excellent flying miata write up which is helpful.

I just wondered, are there any physical/dimension issues to be aware of that might make the swap harder ?

Will i need different engine mounts ?
Is the 1.8 taller ?

I saw recommended to use a Mk2 head on a Mk2.5 block, or could I just get the mk2 and deck/skim to improve compression ?

thanks

Nile_rt

posted on 11/4/21 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I did a similar swap in my old mk1 mx5. Went from a 1.6 to a 1.8 vvt engine.

Mounts are exactly the same but the engine is longer at the front. The vvt head is a bit taller because of the vvt gubbins but if you can get it to fit and have an ecu for it, it's a lot better than non vvt.

FFMan

posted on 11/4/21 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nile_rt
I did a similar swap in my old mk1 mx5. Went from a 1.6 to a 1.8 vvt engine.

Mounts are exactly the same but the engine is longer at the front. The vvt head is a bit taller because of the vvt gubbins but if you can get it to fit and have an ecu for it, it's a lot better than non vvt.

thanks - i was planning on non-vvt to keep the stock ecu, plus research seems to suggest vvt is worth about 3 hp but was mainly to meet emissions. Might be better but not worth a new ecu type better by most accounts.

longer is ok, there is space for that

Does it mate to same gearbox ?

Nile_rt

posted on 12/4/21 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
VVT makes lots more torque in the mid rpm range compared to non vvt. You could use the standard ECU from a vvt car.

Yes the gearbox patterns are all the same. Any starter motor will work but the later mk2.5 ones (maybe mk2 too) are a lot smaller and lighter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.