Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fake NGK Spark Plugs
r1_pete

posted on 8/5/21 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fake NGK Spark Plugs

Is anyone familiar wit the latest fake NGK plugs, I know they exist and have searched the web, but can't find any that resemble my issues.

The plugs lasted about 10 minutes in my 289ci Ford V8.

The writing doesn't look quite right.

The screw on tips have clearly been forced on incorrect threads, as they 'tear' off.

I have messaged NGK but cannot include photographs, so in the meantime what do the collective here think?

NGKPlug1
NGKPlug1

NGKFake2
NGKFake2

NGKFake3
NGKFake3

NGKFake4
NGKFake4

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 8/5/21 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Look like shite to me. Where did you buy them? Cheap on the 'net I'd guess.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

r1_pete

posted on 8/5/21 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Look like shite to me. Where did you buy them? Cheap on the 'net I'd guess.

Online yes, local factors didn't stock them....

Company called the green spark plug co.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 8/5/21 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Online yes, local factors didn't stock them....

I dont know who you use, but Cafco motor factors, or even Halfrauds, or Europarts, would get the right ones in for you, but not necessarily from stock

Something like this from fleabay or the like is possibly not the right place

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

40inches

posted on 8/5/21 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
These ok Pete? https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ngk-spark-plug-ap6fs-ngk-ap6fs
obfripper

posted on 8/5/21 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a look, i did have some nos pinto plugs knocking around, they were either bosch or ngk.

I haven't got anything pinto engined anymore, so if there are enough I can sort you out a set.

I have a feeling the plugs you have are genuine ngk, but ngk brazil, not japan. I'm not sure if the japanese made ones are available from ngk anymore anyway.
The original japanese plugs have the plug number stamped into the body and have machined bodies, yours have forged bodies with no plug number, but do have a batch code on the hex flank which is an ngk thing.

It's not just ngk, bosch and denso are also making their cheaper plugs in india, china, brazil etc, and the quality control has suffered. I've fitted denso platinum plugs that have only lasted 1000miles ,and when removed the platinum tip has fallen off the electrode on 1 plug - the supplier replaced them, but you expect platinum plugs to last 40-60k miles.

Dave

r1_pete

posted on 8/5/21 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
These ok Pete? https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ngk-spark-plug-ap6fs-ngk-ap6fs

Cheers Dave, I think I'm going to steer clear of NGK, especially after reading Dave (obfripper) reply.

I've put the old Autolites back in and its fine, will get a set from Mustang Maniac, about 3 x the price but if they work.....

big_wasa

posted on 8/5/21 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve bought a fair few ods and sods from green spark plug and found them to be a legit firm. But it does make you wonder what crap is out there.
r1_pete

posted on 9/5/21 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I’ve bought a fair few ods and sods from green spark plug and found them to be a legit firm. But it does make you wonder what crap is out there.

Yes I've used them for parts a few times and been happy with the service / items....

ianhurley20

posted on 9/5/21 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Steve_M said
I dont know who you use, but Cafco motor factors, or even Halfrauds, or Europarts, would get the right ones in for you, but not necessarily from stock

I have used Eurocarparts for rear wheel bearings under the brand name - Lucas - the first set failed in about 60 miles so they gave me another set which lasted about 10 miles, didn't have another set but it seems even the known brands are not immune. The chepo set that I got from MDP for less money have lasted thousands of miles!

adithorp

posted on 9/5/21 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Eurocarparts selling dodgy parts? Surely not.

Own brand Chinese crap in Pagid branded boxes resulting in 2 police traffic car crashes? Surely not...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JMW

posted on 10/5/21 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
The Green Spark Plug company are a reputable, legitimate firm.

Did you go back to them? What did they say?

r1_pete

posted on 10/5/21 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Just heard back from NGK, the plugs are genuine, and they're the correct grade for my engine...

He confirmed they supply the Green Plug Co.

No point going back for more of the same, just chalk it up to experience.

One ex NGK user...

[Edited on 10/5/21 by r1_pete]

[Edited on 10/5/21 by r1_pete]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.