Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec 3.0 V6 AJ30 Sump Dimensions
sheepish0001

posted on 2/7/21 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec 3.0 V6 AJ30 Sump Dimensions

Evening all,

For my project I need a new shorter sump that what i have on my S-type lump,

Ive seen one sell on here previously and have thought about making a simple low form factor steel sump Kit that might help others.

I have some of the dimensions of the other shortened sump and have an over all idea of what I want.

The problem I have is trying to get semi-accurate geometry for the sump flange, I have a gasket which im measuring by hand but thought I'd ask on here if anyone has the CAD of the 3.0 block or has access to a 3D scanner?

Any help would be appreciated and Ill post all the kits up on here incase any one else want one when I get that far

Cheers

Shaun

CosKev3

posted on 5/7/21 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a engine in bits you could borrow the lower crank case off to measure up if you want?
RWD Focus

posted on 5/7/21 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
And I've got an altered sump your welcome to borrow if it helps, it was modified to go over and behind a RWD crossmember
mgb281

posted on 5/7/21 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you need an unusual shape why not try some of the alternative Ford/Jaguar ones. I have three different ones, firstly the SType one, due to it being impossible to use I bought a X Type sump which is a traditional rear sump, from memory the shallow front is just 5cms deep and extends backwards about 10 to12 cms. I also have a Ford ST220 sump shallowest front(less than 4 cms deep) otherwise very similar to the X Type. I paid about £20 each off eBay. Due to these engines having a reputation for spinning crank bearings make sure you have plenty of oil capacity and baffles. The ST220 sump reportedly held more oil than a mundane Mondeo sump and was better baffled.
EDIT
Since posting this I had a look on eBay and the prices have shot up, about a year ago you could buy new Ford Cougar ones for £80!

[Edited on 5/7/21 by mgb281]

Oddified

posted on 5/7/21 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Or perhaps look at the sump off the ST220 which are a rear bowl (straight swap, you just need the ST220 oil pick up pipe). Might be an option...
sheepish0001

posted on 6/7/21 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ive tried looking for a ST220 Sump but think they must be like rocking horse poo,

My main aim is to get one as shallow as possible to aid ground clearance on my build and thought that offering something up might be usefull as i know the Jag sumps are difficult to package in smaller spaces.

The one im looking to use as insiration is one that was sold on here and was around 80mm deep

Ive had a couple of offers for digitising the current gasket as i think that would be the easiest way forwards then u can make a flange and test it on my engine.

Thanks for the offers for the block and sump I live up in the north so would be a challenge to sort out moving those but posting a gaskets seems straight forward.

Ill keep every one updated incase its of anyuse to any one in the future

Shaun

RWD Focus

posted on 6/7/21 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
The one I had modified was an st220 item, trial fitted but never used as went dry sump
mgb281

posted on 6/7/21 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that using an x type sump would be the easiest, slice it about a third of the way up from the bottom, mill both halves until you get the depth that you require and tig weld back together, bearing in mind the much reduced oil capacity.
spegru

posted on 20/7/21 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the use of the X Type sump, as I have discovered on my own project it has a different oil pickup from the S Type sort.
Not a big problem to obtain but it seems to use an extra mounting due the additional length and uses one of the main bearing cap bolts by means of a double ended M8/M6 bolt similar to the ones for the windage tray. The pickup appears to be connected using the M6 part just as the windage tray.
Unfortunately on my engine the relevant main bearing cap does not appear to be this double ended type and is just an ordinary single ended M8. I have thought of replacing the relevant bolt but am put off, by the relative difficulty in obtaining the correct part - which I believe is a single use, stretch bolt.
Instead of this I am wondering about fitting a simple M6 bolt from the opposite side of the windage tray. The pickup would then be fixed to that instead of the block - which could be ok. An additional complexity is that the windage tray is hard up against the head of the main bearing bolt so any such additional bolt will either distort the tray or it will need to be counter sunk and/ or welded on.
Alternatively I could just not bother with the additional bolt!

CosKev3

posted on 22/7/21 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
Regarding the use of the X Type sump, as I have discovered on my own project it has a different oil pickup from the S Type sort.
Not a big problem to obtain but it seems to use an extra mounting due the additional length and uses one of the main bearing cap bolts by means of a double ended M8/M6 bolt similar to the ones for the windage tray. The pickup appears to be connected using the M6 part just as the windage tray.
Unfortunately on my engine the relevant main bearing cap does not appear to be this double ended type and is just an ordinary single ended M8. I have thought of replacing the relevant bolt but am put off, by the relative difficulty in obtaining the correct part - which I believe is a single use, stretch bolt.
Instead of this I am wondering about fitting a simple M6 bolt from the opposite side of the windage tray. The pickup would then be fixed to that instead of the block - which could be ok. An additional complexity is that the windage tray is hard up against the head of the main bearing bolt so any such additional bolt will either distort the tray or it will need to be counter sunk and/ or welded on.
Alternatively I could just not bother with the additional bolt!

Just swap the bolt over from one hole to the other!

They are stretch bolts,but you will find most people reuse all the bolts that hold up the crank cradle when rebuilding these engines,but just don't follow the Ford specs for stretching them when new!

spegru

posted on 22/7/21 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks CosKev but of course that will leave one corner of the windage tray unsupported? I wonder about resonances.
From this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/3-0-l-main-rod-bearing-torque-values-37355/ it looks like the torque is only 25NM. Is that what you are suggesting (without the 90Deg bit)?
I suppose these bolts are different to the double ended sump bolts of which are there are two or three used to attach external cable clips.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.