Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gasket between exhaust manifold and header pipe
steppers

posted on 29/7/21 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Gasket between exhaust manifold and header pipe

Just a quick one really, I have an old fiat twin cam engine with worn manifold and header pipes that has been leaking exhaust gases since I have owned the car. I have replace the gasket in between the two offending items but the gases still escape, so should I;
A, get high temperature silicone and use that alone

Or

B, sandwich the gasket top and bottom with the silicone

Personally I am thinking of A, removing the gasket and just using the silicone

Any advice is much appreciated, I know I should replace both parts, but the header pipe is a bespoke part, and the minfold is worth more than a engine swap

Thanks again
Steppers

snapper

posted on 29/7/21 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
You can try and bodge it but in the end you need the manifold flange milled flat

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 29/7/21 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with snapper - you need the manifold machined flat and a new gasket.

Anything else will be a bodge and if it works will be very temporary before you're back to sort it again.

steppers

posted on 29/7/21 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I know it will be a temporary fixed, but I have no money in the pot.

Plus I know that with my MS worsening I will be looking to save for an automatic conversion and it needs a new loom, the list goes on. So it will be a temporary fix. I just want to get the thing on the road, just to have a little bit of fun before the poo weather come

[Edited on 29/7/21 by steppers]

indykid

posted on 29/7/21 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a flatness issue or alignment?

Plumbaflue made a leak free joint on the slip joints on my pinto manifold and normal bathroom silicone has sealed up a few silencers I've made repackable.

I'd say give it a go. You have very little to lose. Don't use silicone if you have any lambda sensors in the system but otherwise, give it a shot.

steppers

posted on 29/7/21 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
It was leaking when I bought the car, so it has burnt out in a couple of spots both on the manifold and header pipe, so they aren't completely flat. The silicone that I have is expected to work up to 1200 degrees

I do appreciate all the advice given

Cheers
Steppers

Fred W B

posted on 30/7/21 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have, or know anyone with a largish belt sander? Use that to get the flanges flat.

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

russbost

posted on 30/7/21 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Large sheet of glass, 80 grit sandpaper off a roll to the required length, a bit of spray adhesive & hey presto, your own flatbed milling machine, takes abit of elbow grease, but as long as you keep the manifold square on to it, it will take out the imperfections/misalignment unless it's huge.

If going the other route I wouldn't use HT silicon, I would use a thick exhaust paste like Gun Gum or similar - that would certainly give a temporary fix, again, unless the misalignment is huge

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jelly head

posted on 30/7/21 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Large sheet of glass, 80 grit sandpaper off a roll to the required length, a bit of spray adhesive & hey presto, your own flatbed milling machine, takes abit of elbow grease, but as long as you keep the manifold square on to it, it will take out the imperfections/misalignment unless it's huge.

^^Thats a good shout, it does work, and is good exercise.

If you go for silicone don't bother with expensive stuff, get the cheapest clear you can, so long as it's silicone and not acrylic. I've used it on quite a few manifold - downpipe joints and it has never burnt out, no one ever believes it though...

nick205

posted on 3/8/21 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

I've used this technique before(with finer grade sandpaper) to de-glaze bicycle disc brake pads with success. Make sure the backing surface is properly flat (glass works well). As "russbost" says keep the manifold sqaure on to the flat surface. If the surface needs a lot of work it may take some elbow grease/time, but it's a good and low cost solution.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.