Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Adjustable passenger footrest
John G

posted on 3/8/21 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Adjustable passenger footrest

I have an angled aluminium passenger footrest. Has anyone any links to a means of making this adjustable? rather than moving the seat back and forth?
Regards Jon

SteveWalker

posted on 3/8/21 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of slim seat sliders?
nick205

posted on 4/8/21 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Failing the seat slider idea you could try some holes in the car floor, holes in the foot rest and metal pins dropped through secured with R clips under the car. If you ground out you'll risk damaging the pins and R clips though and may make them difficult to get out.

On balance I'd probably stick with using the adjustability of the seat if it's already there.

Slimy38

posted on 4/8/21 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
My Skoda has footrests for the rear passengers, it's attached to the floor by velcro, and it works perfectly fine. I'd be tempted to do similar in your case, a couple of velcro strips on the floor and the matching strip on the footrest. Velcro is surprisingly strong when attached to flat surfaces and subjected to lateral forces.
pewe

posted on 4/8/21 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
My Skoda has footrests for the rear passengers, it's attached to the floor by velcro, and it works perfectly fine. I'd be tempted to do similar in your case, a couple of velcro strips on the floor and the matching strip on the footrest. Velcro is surprisingly strong when attached to flat surfaces and subjected to lateral forces.

That's what I did with mine - loop side onto the ali floor, hook side on the rest so its less likely to collect dirt. You need to use a fairly wide velcro though to resist passenger pushing it free. I attached the velcro using Evo-stik - other adhesives are available.
From memory I bought a shoe rack from IKEA which is perforated galvanised thin steel which already has an angle bent into it so sits at a good angle.
Cheers, Pewe

David Jenkins

posted on 4/8/21 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
You can get velcro-like stuff made by 3M - both sides are identical, but the grip is amazing.

3M dual lock

It comes in tapes, pads, etc.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/8/21 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
You can get velcro-like stuff made by 3M - both sides are identical, but the grip is amazing.

3M dual lock

I can confirm this stuff holds - have used it previously on headlight protectors on motorbikes, as well as securing a GoPro (with a backup tether, before anyone suggests being unsafe!) to a helmet. Never had anything come adrift!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

David Jenkins

posted on 5/8/21 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I can confirm this stuff holds - have used it previously on headlight protectors on motorbikes, as well as securing a GoPro (with a backup tether, before anyone suggests being unsafe!) to a helmet. Never had anything come adrift!

I used to use it for fastening LiPo batteries to the underside of multirotor aircraft - I did also have a retaining strap but it was never needed, despite many crashes!

[Edited on 5/8/21 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 5/8/21 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

3M dual lock

3M do make some pretty good stuff - better performaing than other brands.

We use it at work to secure assembly jigs to work benches - the jigs simply don't move - it prevents having to drill holes in the jig and the bench to bolt the ji to the bench (saves time too).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.