Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Oval tube
maurof74

posted on 9/10/21 at 03:35 AM Reply With Quote
Oval tube

Hello,

Does anyone knows where to source the oval tube used, for instance, in the MK wishbones? It's about 32x16x2 mm

Thanks

hellbent345

posted on 9/10/21 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/mild-steel/mild-steel-tube/oval-tube/9127-p

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/10/21 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
1.5mm wall thickness seems too thin. 2 - 3mm would be more what I'd go for. I'm not sure what manufacturers are using?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sanzomat

posted on 9/10/21 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hellbent345
https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/mild-steel/mild-steel-tube/oval-tube/9127-p

If that's what the ones on the MK Indy use then it explains why they bend so easily! I put MK Indy classic front wishbones on my Locost (only 460kg total) and the one that takes all the load on mostly clockwise tracks (nearside) has a permanent slight bend already after just two trackdays. I reckon this might have more to do with how far inboard from the bottom ball joint the coilover sits but the oval tube, admittedly in its weak axis, doesn't seem very strong.

hellbent345

posted on 9/10/21 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I should say that I just showed a supply similar to the dimensions that were noted, OP what are you planning on using this for? I’ve used this for my headlight mounts.

This is ERW (I think most oval is..?) and as mentioned is a bit thinner than normally used for locost/Haynes dimensions (2-3mm 19/25mm OD CDS).

If you know your loads and can calculate all forces and directions, it’s possible the larger oval dimension could be sufficient to add enough strength to be ok with less wall thickness, but this is obviously entirely at your own risk.

maurof74

posted on 11/10/21 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
It is to repair a whishbone bent in a crush. I measured the tube by cutting a section and it is roughly 32x16x2.
Before the crush I didn't have any problem with these wishbones (the car is about 560 kg)

maurof74

posted on 11/10/21 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
It is to repair a whishbone bent in a crush. I measured the tube by cutting a section and it is roughly 32x16x2.
Before the crush I didn't have any problem with these wishbones (the car is about 560 kg)

maurof74

posted on 11/10/21 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
A higher thickness is not a big problem as the additional weight is not so huge... Concerning the external dimension I can accept few millimeters of difference... But I don't want a size/tickness combination that reduces the moments of inertia.
So far I was not able to find a supplier... and in MK they say that kind of tube is no more available

Neville Jones

posted on 21/1/22 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Try searching for "flat sided oval tube'

Originally made for shopping trolleys.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.