Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good builder in the Blackpool area
obfripper

posted on 18/11/21 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good builder in the Blackpool area

My sister has a bit of a dilemma, she has some water leaking into one of the window surrounds, so stripped back the plaster to find no lintel above the upvc window, no soldier bricks, just a piece of wood that doesn't even span the gap and loose bricks behind the render.
I don't know how that came to be, i'm guessing it may date to the upvc window installation, where the old wooden window frame was the support as it's a 1920's house, and nothing was put in to replace its strength.

It needs attention asap but she's struggling to find a decent builder in the Blackpool area who is able to repair in anything less than 6 months time, is anyone on here in the area who could repair, or know someone trusted who could?

Dave

nick205

posted on 19/11/21 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help with a builder.

It sounds like a failure of the uPVC windows fitters not have spotted this on removal of the original wooden window frame if that was supporting the wall above. That said I'm no builder and only know of windows/doors (gaps) having lintels of some form to support the above structure.

Worth your sister reading through her buildings insurance?

Don't speak to the insurance broker/underwriter to alert them, just read through first to see if there's anything covered.

Sometine there may be an excess to pay, but if it's covered in some way it may work out cheaper than her funding the work outright.

obfripper

posted on 19/11/21 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
It appears that the insurance company may dismiss the problem as ongoing maintainance requirement, she's going to check the rics survey from pre purchase, but it appears there is no liability for such faults being missed unless you have the top 2 levels of survey, the mortgage only requires the lowest level survey and she's not sure which was done at the time.

I wasn't aware of window frames being used for a structural purpose, but it is apparently common on houses of its age and type, the installers should have fitted lintels when the windows were replaced - she is going to look and see if there is a fensa certificate from the install, but the windows may pre-date that requirement.

Dave

nick205

posted on 19/11/21 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
It appears that the insurance company may dismiss the problem as ongoing maintainance requirement, she's going to check the rics survey from pre purchase, but it appears there is no liability for such faults being missed unless you have the top 2 levels of survey, the mortgage only requires the lowest level survey and she's not sure which was done at the time.

I wasn't aware of window frames being used for a structural purpose, but it is apparently common on houses of its age and type, the installers should have fitted lintels when the windows were replaced - she is going to look and see if there is a fensa certificate from the install, but the windows may pre-date that requirement.

Dave

Sounds like your sister's pretty well on the case with looking into the history and requirements. I wasn't aware of window frames being used as supports, but I'm not a builder. My current house is timber frambded/brick clad with steel lintels spanning ground floor doors/windows and timber lintels (if that's what you call them) spanning 1st floor windows. House built in the 1970's.

Slimy38

posted on 19/11/21 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I apologise in advance as I also can't recommend a builder, but I wanted to give you another view as I'm in the same boat. Builders all over the country are like rocking horse p00 at the moment, or rather I should say 'available' builders. We've had three builders quote for a piece of work, and none have actually got through to booking us in. They can pick and choose their work, and price it how they see fit. Some are really taking the mick, others are staying with their normal pricing but having to turn away work just to have some sort of social life in the evenings and weekends.

I did find out that window companies are sometimes able to install lintels themselves, so it might be worth expanding your search to double glazing companies as well as regular builders?

David Jenkins

posted on 19/11/21 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
It might be worth asking around friends and neighbours - we have a few local tradesmen who could be called "odd-job men" but have a tremendous reputation. They do enough to make a living, but can't be arsed to 'go public'.

I've had one local bod who refitted my downstairs loo, and I have zero complaints about the quality of his work - but he only does stuff for people he knows, and won't take on work for 'strangers'. He's a good friend - the only problem is that I have very few teabags left once he's left my property!

jacko

posted on 19/11/21 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It might be worth asking around friends and neighbours - we have a few local tradesmen who could be called "odd-job men" but have a tremendous reputation. They do enough to make a living, but can't be arsed to 'go public'.

I've had one local bod who refitted my downstairs loo, and I have zero complaints about the quality of his work - but he only does stuff for people he knows, and won't take on work for 'strangers'. He's a good friend - the only problem is that I have very few teabags left once he's left my property!

All builders are like that tea tea tea 😎👍

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 19/11/21 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dave

So the timber frames as lintel is very common, have it in my 60's house in places.

Unfortunately, shitty window companies smashing in flexible PVC in place of nice stable timber is also very common.

It was done in my house by the Rock Apes of Windsor Windows before I knew better and also at my mother-in-law's where the bricks are dropping above the patio doors as a result and one of the panes actually shattered with the weight of it all!

Are they less than 10 years old? If so, I believe that there is insurance via FENSA (assuming the rock-ape fitters were FENSA registered).

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 19/11/21 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 20/11/21 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Dave

So the timber frames as lintel is very common, have it in my 60's house in places.

Unfortunately, shitty window companies smashing in flexible PVC in place of nice stable timber is also very common.

It was done in my house by the Rock Apes of Windsor Windows before I knew better and also at my mother-in-law's where the bricks are dropping above the patio doors as a result and one of the panes actually shattered with the weight of it all!

Are they less than 10 years old? If so, I believe that there is insurance via FENSA (assuming the rock-ape fitters were FENSA registered).

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 19/11/21 by James]

James

Good input and you seem to have direct similar experience of the issue.

As above I was unaware timber window frames were used to provide support. Always learning something new.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.