Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding courses (again)
Simon

posted on 25/11/21 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Welding courses (again)

Folks,

I've been welding for years and years but have no evidence of ability (could be I have none but nothing has fallen apart yet ).

There has been similar posts before so just thought I'd ask if anyone knows of any courses in Kent/Sussex/SE London area - though may be willing travel/residential for intensive courses.

Cheers

taylormade100

posted on 26/11/21 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Allied welding in Essex do a 1 day course which is very good, it gave me a lot more confidence with my welding.
nick205

posted on 26/11/21 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at the local colleges in my area (Hampshire) and many offer adult avening courss, including welding. Generally run over an academic term, an evening a week. Not massively expensive and the 2 colleges I looked at local to me were well kitted out with gas, MIG and TIG kit.

Another option is to speak to a few fabrication companies local to you and see if they have any recommendations.

MikeR

posted on 26/11/21 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
When did you look at colleges? I did mine in college about 20 years ago. About 10 years ago I looked at doing tig and they'd stopped all the evening classes. The funding or something changed
nick205

posted on 26/11/21 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
When did you look at colleges? I did mine in college about 20 years ago. About 10 years ago I looked at doing tig and they'd stopped all the evening classes. The funding or something changed

Admittedly I looked pre-COVID so I'm sure that may havechanged things. I looked at Basingstoke College of Technology (BCoT) as it's a walk away from where I work. IIRC it was under £300 for a 12 week evening course.

MikeR

posted on 26/11/21 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Glad I saw this thread. There back doing evening courses near me. £300 for a 16 week nvq level 1 course (free below a certain invoice level).
Simon

posted on 26/11/21 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers folks,

I've found some courses with City and Guilds that will give recognised qualifications but despite links on their website to local colleges, all the links are either broker or don't have the courses.

I'll email C&G over weekend and try and get some definitive locations

Thanks for input though

bi22le

posted on 27/11/21 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Let me know how you get on.

With a crack in my frame and some potentially serious upgrades coming on I could save a fair amount of money if I learn to do it myself.

I'm in Dartford BTW.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Sanzomat

posted on 28/11/21 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

With a crack in my frame and some potentially serious upgrades coming on I could save a fair amount of money if I learn to do it myself.

I'm in Dartford BTW.

Off topic - its long way from Dartford to Llandow (your avatar gif!)

bi22le

posted on 28/11/21 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

I'm in Dartford BTW.

Off topic - its long way from Dartford to Llandow (your avatar gif!)

Ha ha, good spot! I don't mind traveling to a track day, I was at Oulton last weekend.

That was actually a really special track day. I have a lot of friends who do bike track days. We managed to get a Saturday bike and then Sunday car day and as Llandow has a camp site right next to it we all camped together for beers for a few nights.

We have not managed that since, it was about 8 years ago.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.