Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis identification - STM Locost?
Mike Wood

posted on 28/11/21 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis identification - STM Locost?

Hi

Are there any identification features of a Stuart Taylor Motorsport (STM) built Locost chassis please? I purchased an old unregistered rolling chassis that looks like it might be a STM Locost. For example it has a round tube hoop support (across the car) for the upper steering column just under the scuttle and front wishbones from curved round tube (and an even less conclusive none cone with STM number on it and grp scuttle panel). Anything else to look for?

Just curious really, whether my chassis was jig built in a limited production run, rather than a DIY build. If it is STM I suppose it would make sense to register it as such; might help a sale in the future as a bit more of a known, not necessarily superior, quality?

I do realise an STM Locost chassis would have been built down to a price and the limits of the Locost design, rather than one of Matt’s Procomp Locost chassis or a lovely bronze welded older Caterham or Mallock chassis from Arch Motors. I seem to remember comments on here years ago about the quality of some STM fabrication, e.g. pedal boxes. I do recognise some DIY builders have produced excellent Locost chassis which are dimensionally correct, not twisted and properly MIG welded.

Or could it be an MK Engineering chassis from the Martin Keenan days? Were the curved tube wishbones MK?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 28/11/21 by Mike Wood]

TimC

posted on 28/11/21 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember that the very back of the car at floor height was all square - hard to put a replacement back panel on!

This might help...
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=169527

Mike Wood

posted on 29/11/21 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Tim

Many thanks, just the info I needed, will check in the garage but looks like my chassis from memory. Oddly my chassis might actually be the one pictured, wonder if the seller in 2012 sold it to the late Mick Heyes?

How you doing? How is the Autotune Gemini build/operation?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 29/11/21 by Mike Wood]

procomp

posted on 1/12/21 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
if you have pics of chassis i can id if it is an STM chassis or not.

cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike Wood

posted on 15/12/21 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tim and Matt

Many thanks for your helpful reply. Should get a chance to take some pics this weekend of the chassis.

Cheers
Mike

BenB

posted on 15/12/21 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
If I can wangle some garage time I can take some photos of mine once I've seen your pics. See if looks similar.
Mike Wood

posted on 4/1/22 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all

I have taken some pictures of my chassis, see: http://austinhealeyspritemk2.blogspot.com/2020/07/locost-new-project.html

What do you think - STM?

Thanks
Mike

procomp

posted on 5/1/22 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi. That is an STM chassis.
A few key items on chassis confim.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 5/1/22 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second that. Looks awfully familiar!!!
Mike Wood

posted on 18/1/22 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, that is very helpful. What were the giveaway signs?

Any pictures of the back panel of an STM chassis that has been ali panelled? I am wondering how I deal with the right angles at the bottom corners compared with the rounded top?

Cheers
Mike

BenB

posted on 19/1/22 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'll try and do some photos next time I'm in the garage. The bottom of the rear panel just had a 90 degree bend on it with slots then riveted. The top I had to dress the Ali round the circular tube with a leather hammer.
Mike Wood

posted on 19/2/22 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all

What a bunch of knowledgeable and helpful folk. Thanks so much.

I have updated the pics and info at: http://austinhealeyspritemk2.blogspot.com/2020/07/locost-new-project.html

I managed to track down an earlier owner who supplied more info and pics of my car.

Cheers
Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.