Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clarke engine hoist spares
dern

posted on 8/3/05 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Clarke engine hoist spares

I think I need some new seals for the ram of my clarke engine hoist. Anyone know where I can get them (I have the part numbers in the manual).

I'm pretty disapointed with the hoist to be honest. I've used it once to remove and then refit a ford 2.9 v6 with type 9 box to my tvr about 3 years ago and a few times to move my R1 engine about all of which would easily be within the tolerances of the lift and now it leaks fluid. I topped it up at the weekend and then have to top it up again tonight and even then it runs out of puff pretty quickly. Still, new seals should sort it I guess.

Thanks,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 8/3/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Machine mart?????
JoelP

posted on 8/3/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
mine doesnt seem to leak, but it takes ages to make it work after it hasnt been used for a while- you have to pump the handle many times before the arm starts to move.

cracking crane though, i lifted the entire back end of a sierra estate well high and sat it on stands with it.

[Edited on 8/3/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ned

posted on 9/3/05 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
James has a similar prob with his, we went to use it to lift the car off it chassis stands and we just pumped and pumped and nothing happened. I suspected the hydraulic ram/seals or something as it didn't appear to be generating any pressure when pumping.

Be interested to know the outcome of this one. Has certainly put me off buying one of their hoists though..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 9/3/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Joel and Ned.

Loosen the threaded plug, pump it to get the air out then tighten it up again. Works every time on mine. It's not a clarke one but they use the same ram. If all else fails read the instructions. .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 9/3/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
thats dangerous advice pete...

you should never read the instructions, who knows what might happen?!

i'll try the nipple thing next time though... cheers!

[Edited on 9/3/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

clbarclay

posted on 9/3/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Instruction manuals are great, they have almost sertainly bee translated from Chinese to Spanish by some one who speaks neither and then from Spanish to English by another person who speaks neither Chinese, Spanish or English.

The above laguages are just random examples.

The second thing that is common amongst all manuals is that they are for the base model and don't have the neciessery suplements for your model.

[Edited on 9/3/05 by clbarclay]

wilkingj

posted on 9/3/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
My clarke hoist did that. All pump and no lift!
I pulled the plug half way up the ram, and injected 1/2 pint of oil. (ordinary 15/40 engine oil, its all I had)
Works a treat now.

Clarke spare available from Machie Marts spares firm, phone orders only I think.
U have used them and quite good.

Ring M-Mart, and ask for their number.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

dern

posted on 10/3/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
My clarke hoist did that. All pump and no lift!
I pulled the plug half way up the ram, and injected 1/2 pint of oil. (ordinary 15/40 engine oil, its all I had)
Works a treat now.

Clarke spare available from Machie Marts spares firm, phone orders only I think.
U have used them and quite good.

Ring M-Mart, and ask for their number.

Thanks, I couldn't find any information on the site and have been too snowed under to call them... I'll drop them a line next week.

I tried topping up the oil with hydraulic oil but with no joy. I guess it makes sense that thicker oil would work better if a seal is the issue. I'll report back when I've sorted the problem (or not).

Regards,

Mark

James

posted on 10/3/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Loosen the threaded plug, pump it to get the air out then tighten it up again. Works every time on mine. It's not a clarke one but they use the same ram. If all else fails read the instructions. .

Nice one Pete- I'll give that a try!

Thanks for the heads-up Ned!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Peteff

posted on 10/3/05 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Engine oil has detergents in it which will accelerate the seal problem. If it's just smearing on the ram it's not too much of a problem. Buy a bottle of jack oil to top it up till you can fix it properly. Bleed it after you top it up and see if it works then.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.