Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop snapped at HIGH speed
billy

posted on 9/4/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Prop snapped at HIGH speed

My god i was out in mine today and the prop sheared completely in half right at the front before the uj. the bang was huge and the prop tried to beat its way out of the tunnel. did alot of damage, cut thro brake pipe, fuel pipe, wiring etc. bent the chassis big time in the tunnel, lucky it wanted to come out thro the passenger side. i was on my own thank god. good old vauxhall prop eh

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

RogerM

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear, hop you will be having a right old rant to the company that did the prop for you, must have been marginal on the welding, balance or both.

I've run some silly power / torque through props in the past and that is why I always insist on all new parts, bushed joints with grease nipples and a read out from the balancing machine.

Don't think you'll have much joy in getting the company to compensate you for the damage unless you can prove that it was the way they built it that resulted in the failure. Do you know anybody in an engineering company that might have a metrology lab??? If so might be worth getting them to analyse the failure.

[Edited on 9/4/05 by RogerM]

billy

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
this is where it snapped Rescued attachment prop-snapped.JPG
Rescued attachment prop-snapped.JPG

billy

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
its a bit of a dark pic but you can see the beating the side got Rescued attachment prop damage.JPG
Rescued attachment prop damage.JPG

Hellfire

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance of a picture of the mating part too... with damage/risk on this scale you should tell us all who did the welding, one for us all to avoid.

Very glad you are ok - it could have been worse. Especially electrical, fuel and brake all joined... I think you were lucky.

billy

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
There is no welding at this point, its ok at the weld. it just sheared of before the uj. all i can think is the uj failed itself causing it to snap off where it did, there is half the uj missing on whats left of the prop. it eventuly dropped down and dragged along the road. My god the noise it made

Avoneer

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
as it a bought prop or a home made one?
It looks a lot narrower than most I have seen.
Cheers,
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RogerM

posted on 9/4/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a new joint?

I hope the damage isn't too bad mate.

I have seen a few failed shafts and that is why it's on my "extra caution required" component list.

Good luck with sorting it all out.

billy

posted on 9/4/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
im afraid it was not a new prop, it was a vx at the front to ford at the rear. and the moral of the story is........dont use second hand bits on your propshaft, they always look nice and strong but are they realy???? lesson lernt

Avoneer

posted on 9/4/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
That's what makes these posts worth while.
To inform others of any potential / actual problems so they occur less and less.
Bad news that it happened and I feel for you, but at least you're fine.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 9/4/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, maybe I'm being dumb, but does anyone use new propshafts ?
Can you even get them new ?

Jon

andy d (rizla)

posted on 9/4/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
mine was "new" from mnr
ned

posted on 9/4/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
there was another thread recently on th esubject fo props, a quick serach would find it. basically there are loads of places that will build you a custom prop new, based on whichever ends/fitment you require...

autoprop rings a bell as one place, but as i say there is a thread of suppliers mentioned recently..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

RogerM

posted on 9/4/05 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
They aren't in every town but I have never struggled to find a prop manufacturer within sensible distance.

There are some things that I always use new or recon'd properly. Brake calipers, driveshafts, propshafts and steering linkages / racks.

Only live once.

MikeR

posted on 9/4/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
only die once too !!!!!!
marc n

posted on 9/4/05 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Wow what a lucky escape,

This highlights the reason why every kit we sell we persuede people to invest in a new prop ( the only ones we sell are brand new with 12 months warranty )
the extra cost over modifying second hand bits compared to new in most cases is £ 60 is it really worth the risk !!!!!

glad your ok

hopefully this will be a wake up call for many others

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
colibriman

posted on 10/4/05 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
OMG...most builders nightmare.....glad your ok.

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dblissett

posted on 10/4/05 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
new prop

my new prop made to suite my 442 chassis only cost me £110
from propshaft tecnolgy
its not worth the risk
glad your ok
dave

Dillinger1977

posted on 10/4/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
this is one of my paranoid fears, even with a brand new one.
has anyone considered some form of collar at incremental points, to hopefully limit the movement of the shaft should a break occur?

-Rog

Northy

posted on 10/4/05 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
My other worry is the flywheel letting go, just next to my ankles

Glad your ok.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Danozeman

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
You were a lucky man mate. Makes you realise the importance of of things such as this. Makes u wonder whether we should plate the front end on the tunnel with thicker stuff..

Hope the damage aint too expensive mate..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear your ok, i think you may have a problem getting any passengers now though! It still suprises me that props tend to go at the box end (well, all the ones i have heard that have failed did). I would have thought that it would be more likley to go at the axle end where it gets a harder time. Anyone explain this?

The point about buying a decent prop makes sense but a freind of my fathers who bought a fireblade engined car new from a rather well known company makes you wonder if they are really worth it! His prop failed at the adapter flange where it seems, whoever made it, had decided to turn down the weld to practically nothing to make it look more neat!

Northy: I too have always wondered about the flywheel bolts failing. I wonder too whether it would actually escape the bellhousing?

Andy

omega 24 v6

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
i have seen flywheels on x flows shearing all the bolts but, as they are on a spigot, and the fact that there is pressure on the clutch plate, and the main gearbox shaft is in a bearing in the crankshaft all of these seem to prevent the flywheel from coming through the bellhousing. However if one was to split up then it would be crutches time maybe. Has anyone ever seen this. The F2 stockcar guys actually sit astride there flywheel/gearbox/propshaft and in my opinion they've got a lot of balls to do this sport
RogerM

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have only ever seen one flywheel failure. It was on a very high reving Mini engine (74mm bore, stroke reduce to give 999cc rather than the 1399 it would have had, can't remember the actual stroke). That engine ran a 16V head and could rev to around 10k. Shall we say that maybe we lightend the flywheel too much It destroyed the bellhousing and wreckedthe bulkhead too!!!!

If you are going for very light flywheels then go for machined from billet.

As for props I always have catchers of mine. Basically every 9" or so down the prop I form a ring out of 3x25 plate and size it to give about 10mm radial clearence. These rings are braced to the chassis with similar material (to top and bottom tunnel rails). In theory if it fails it should not be able to escape.

Just remember to bolt not weld the catchers on or else it will be a pig to do anything to the transmission!!

I have had too many "experiences" over 20 years of racing to take risks with road cars. Light is good but if the ultimate weight saving is that you are no longer able to get into it then it's not going to be fun is it!!

Northy

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen pictures of a flywheel that broke apart, it came out of the side of the bellhousing in little pieces!

Even worse if you've got an ali bellhousing, like I have!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.