Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel
turbolag

posted on 28/4/05 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel

I'm a bit of a diesel fiend and whilst i'm planning my Locost in my head while waiting for the book to arrive, i'm loosely toying with the idea of a diesel powerplant.

3 questions;

1) Is the vibration likely to be a bit much for such a light car?

2) Any other unforseen issues (for example, making room for intercoolers etc might be fun)?

3) Anyone else done it?

Cheers guys,

Rich.

If it ain't broke, you ain't fiddlin' hard enough!

clbarclay

posted on 28/4/05 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
In theory vibrations will be more, but there are ways to reduce it.

Use a 2.3 sierra donor and then there no turbos etc. to cause hassel. Though performance might not match your desiers.

Haven't done it myself, might have done if family still had the old 2.3 sierra when I got into kit cars, then again a change of engine would have been just as likely.

smart51

posted on 28/4/05 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
There will be no cat to worry about at SVA.
My concern would be the weight of the engine. Most diesel engines are quite heavy, but then so are most pintos, from what I hear.

nick205

posted on 28/4/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
It's been talked about on here before, but I don't recall anyone actually doing it.

Things to consider other than vibration are...

weight - most diesel engines are slightly heavier than their petrol equivalents (someone will point out that a Pinto is akin to a boat anchor I'm sure)

Cost - old readily available/cheap diesels are not very good. Newer diesel engines tend to be sought after and therefore more expensive.

Noise - No diesel engine sounds as good as a petrol engine either at tickover or at full throttle.

Lag/boost - in such a light car, the lag might not be a problem, but the short sharp torquey nature of turbo diesels might not make for the best driving experience.

That said I would like to see something like an MK GTR with a 3L Audi TDi engine

Nick

I knew someone would comment on the weight of a Pinto

[Edited on 28/4/05 by nick205]

JoelP

posted on 28/4/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
i would recommend against using a diesel if you want a sportscar, but if you are building a tourer its not such an terrible idea (still bad, IMHO).

i like diesels too, but theres a time and a place.

the sierra 2.3 diesel is a dreadful engine - trust me, i drive one every day. reliable and strong, but simply not any performance to speak of. Plus it has crap loads of engine braking - the moment you lift off the accelerator, its like you have dropped an anchor.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

clbarclay

posted on 28/4/05 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
the sierra 2.3 diesel is a dreadful engine - trust me, i drive one every day. reliable and strong, but simply not any performance to speak of. Plus it has crap loads of engine braking - the moment you lift off the accelerator, its like you have dropped an anchor.

Thats why it made such a great family car (plus we had a bulk tank of derv at home)

One problem with deisels ias that they don't free rev like a petrol. I recon the family RR with a TDI engine accelerates better in 3rd gear than it does in 1st.

A deisel that probably would have been nice was the attempt at deisel variant of a Rv8, pitty they never got it right, could have been a very good deisel.

chrism

posted on 28/4/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
The guy I got my Sierra back end from was building a tiger cat with a diesel turbo engine in it.
I think he had a 2lt DOHC in before but got another Donor for cheap which had the diesel turbo and ABS brakes which he put in it tiger.
It was a work in progress when I saw it, but the engine was running, and with a cone filter and no exhaust it didn't sound to bad.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

turbolag

posted on 28/4/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Was thinking of a L series Rover as I know where I can get one. About 110ish as stock but 150 brake can be had cheaply. Yeah, it's cast iron block might weigh a teensy bit...though the shove that comes in at 1700 rpm out to be 'interesting' in a featherlight skate.

nick205

posted on 28/4/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay

One problem with deisels ias that they don't free rev like a petrol. I recon the family RR with a TDI engine accelerates better in 3rd gear than it does in 1st.

TDi in Roller surely not

Peteff

posted on 28/4/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
'interesting' in a featherlight skate.

I think he means a Strange Rover Nick. . With a lump like that in it, it's hardly going to be featherlight any more though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clbarclay

posted on 28/4/05 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay

TDi in Roller surely not

Not rolls royce, range rover. i'm just just a bit lazy and can't be bothered to type it out in full evry time.

zilspeed

posted on 28/4/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
The main problem - apart from the weight is the power band. Even the most modern turbodiesel has a powerband narrower than a gnat's G string. No power off boost - power comes thundering in at 2000ish rpm and it's shot it's load by 4500rpm. So - 2500rpm power band.
Even the naffest of standard pinto's will go from 1500 to 6500 rpm.

Seven type cars are all about nimble handling and screaming engines howling round to the redline, braking left to the last conceivable second, dropping down a gear or three then screaming up the next straight with the throttles wide open and the back end snaking.

If you think it's going to be any different, beg steal or borrow a passenger ride in one at a meeting somewhere so you can discover the truth.
If this isn't the experience you are looking for, go build a beauford and do wedding hires.

**Note**
A certain amount of this posting was tongue in cheek, but not a lot of it....

**edit starts here**
That was quite cathartic actually.....

[Edited on 28/4/05 by zilspeed]

colibriman

posted on 28/4/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Seven type cars are all about nimble handling and screaming engines howling round to the redline, braking left to the last conceivable second, dropping down a gear or three then screaming up the next straight with the throttles wide open and the back end snaking.

Zillly-John....

thought you weren't there seeing my driving on sunday.....

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 28/4/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Let me assure you.
I would be in no position to comment on anyone's driving.

You know what I mean.

P.S. I know I'm famous for repeating myself, but - 72 entries for Sunday. Pity you'll be at Stoneybridge ;-)

paulf

posted on 28/4/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one in my Rover 600, how would i get 150 bhp from it cheaply?
Its a good engine with loads of torque but also big and bulky, i wouldnt want it in a seven due to the noise and smell from it.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by turbolag
Was thinking of a L series Rover as I know where I can get one. About 110ish as stock but 150 brake can be had cheaply.

RazMan

posted on 28/4/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
It has got to be worth a try if you can find a suitable engine - didn't the VX220 come with a diesel option? IIRC it got a record for the fastest diesel car.

I actually toyed with the idea myself while wondering what to do with an old BMW 525 TDS engine ....... but went for a Mondy 2.5 V6 instead.

btw Diesels (especially turbo diesels) can be chipped very cheaply to get 30% more power - my 525 produces 175bhp with bucket loads of torque. Have a look on Ebay and you will find several versions.

[Edited on 28-4-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 28/4/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Deary me.....next it will be roof racks...
Triton

posted on 28/4/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels are kak the poo they leave on the roads is lethal......ban the bloody things
clbarclay

posted on 28/4/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Deary me.....next it will be roof racks...

Don't tell me you actually thought they where full roll cages.

Rorty

posted on 29/4/05 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
Don't laugh; about 4 years ago I saw a Locost near Heathrow with a ladder tied onto its full cage.
Many years ago, one summer, I saw a sevenesque in Devon towing a little caravan and it was all over the place.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

locost_bryan

posted on 29/4/05 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
how about a BMW 120D as a donor?

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

turbolag

posted on 29/4/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Ive got one in my Rover 600, how would i get 150 bhp from it cheaply?
Its a good engine with loads of torque but also big and bulky, i wouldnt want it in a seven due to the noise and smell from it.
Paul

Okay...wind up the boost at the actuator, de cat (the stock Slover CAT can be easily gutted), a nice remap, then contact Rover_Ron on www.MG-Rover,org and see if he'll sell you one of his MAF signal boosters. Much beyond 150 brake and the gearbox starts to suffer.
The L is a bit unrefined in this high pressure pump duse age, but is arguably about the toughest electronic TDi motor out there.

Rich.

Simon

posted on 29/4/05 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
And then there's the really noxious fumes about two feet from your face

ATB

Simon

tks

posted on 30/4/05 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
A3

i would take an audi A3 TDI engine,

problem would be hooking it up to a box...

but then you have a modern engine, diesel torque 4500 rpm..and 160Bhp
(chipped) even more if you trowaway cat and place bigger turbo..

TKS

p.s still it wil sound neither as sportive as a bike engine / petrol engine...

but more as an tractor...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.