Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Button Banned for 2 Races
andylancaster3000

posted on 5/5/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Button Banned for 2 Races

It seems that Mr. Button and Sato have been given a two race ban for running a car 5kg under the limit at Imola. BAR have also had 10 points deducted from their championship. I personally think they have been lucky with this punishment. Could have been a lot worse...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4517629.stm

Andy

MkIndy7

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Lucky!

From what I remember Benneton never got such severe punishments for fuel Irregularitys.

Unsuprisingly when a certain German driver was driving for them!.......

drmike54

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
FIA & F1 sure isn't NASCAR.

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Pants Pants Pants!!!!!!

If as BAR state the data shows that the car did not at anytime race under weight, its PANTS!!!!!
gazza285

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Coudn't really care.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Why the minimum weight anyway? Why not let the teams race as light as they want? A bit of competition never hurt anyone....

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

turbolag

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
The word is that BAR had a concealed 2nd tank that held 15 litres. They drain the dregs out of the main tank at the end for the weigh in, but the extra fuel still keeps the weight up and also potentially allowed Button to go further before pitting. Heard that yesterday from a mate who's a chassis engineer at Red Bull.

If it's true, it's more than just an irregularity - it's a nasty piece of downright cheating and they were lucky to get off so light. Ecclestone wanted them chucked out of this years championships.

If it ain't broke, you ain't fiddlin' hard enough!

turbolag

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
Why the minimum weight anyway? Why not let the teams race as light as they want? A bit of competition never hurt anyone....

Andy
To keep it affordable for the poorer teams. A 10mm titanium nut costs a tenner...

andyps

posted on 5/5/05 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Punishment given out by the Ferrari Internal Advisers again. The red cars can be illegal and proved OK, the others are OK and then proved illegal, strange isn't it

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Northy

posted on 5/5/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbolag
The word is that BAR had a concealed 2nd tank that held 15 litres. They drain the dregs out of the main tank at the end for the weigh in, but the extra fuel still keeps the weight up and also potentially allowed Button to go further before pitting. Heard that yesterday from a mate who's a chassis engineer at Red Bull.

I heard that the extra tank was inside the main tank and was only to stop weight transfer (fuel sloshing about) upsetting the car on low fuel and also to help fuel pick up.
I also heard that the FIA knew of the setup and were ok with it.

What the FIA didn't like was when they asked BAR if the car was "fully drained" and they replied "Yes". They then found ~5.4kg of fuel still in the inner tank

They have said they are going to fight it and try and qualify to race this weekend anyway. The poo could really hit the fan then!

Should be worth watching this weekend.......

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Triton

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
That's Farty 1 racing for you.......pillocks
Triton

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Make them all race 2 cv's then at least it would be worth watching
bigandy

posted on 6/5/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Formula 2CV....

Has a certain "appeal" to it doesn't it? I'd watch it!

Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well, you did mention it!

2CV racing

David

bigandy

posted on 6/5/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Why are no ideas original these days?!!!

Pretty cool site though!

Andy

andyps

posted on 6/5/05 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently, the fuel tank used by BAR is identical to that used by some of the other teams. What is the likelihood that with BAR having decided not to challenge the ban that someone might challenge the result of the race and lead to other manufacturers getting similar bans?

Andy

Northy

posted on 6/5/05 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
BAR have decided not to challenge the ban. They were already set up in the paddock, so they are packing up and going home

Shitter.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

britishtrident

posted on 6/5/05 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Apparently, the fuel tank used by BAR is identical to that used by some of the other teams. What is the likelihood that with BAR having decided not to challenge the ban that someone might challenge the result of the race and lead to other manufacturers getting similar bans?

Re other teams I was just about to say the same.

turbolag

posted on 6/5/05 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Because other teams using the same tank arrangement have cars that still weigh the 600 kilo minimum without fuel, where's BARs car needed the 'supplemenatry' tank to be full to meet the limit. If they'd stuck a bit more weight on the car itself then the actual tanks themselves, or otherwise, aren't an issue.

andyps

posted on 6/5/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
BAR are sufficiently pissed off with the FIA to have published the whole of their defence submission on their website, even though it gives info to competing teams. The car needed the extra fuel to run properly, so would be above the weight limit at all times (according to what they say). All 103 pages are available here

Andy

Peteff

posted on 7/5/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've read that and it sounds like the FIA moved the goalposts with the "except for fuel" clause. If the fuel was there at the end of the race and couldn't have been added after it should count towards the all up weight.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

escary

posted on 11/5/05 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
f1 is dead

they have destroyed 'the pinacle of motor car racing'

clipping the wings of what is supossed to be the fastest men in the fastest cars driving at insane speeds in equally insine tracks makes a mockery of it all.

It's all for tv!

Motorsport existed before tv now who rules supreme?

reset F1 back about 10 years with slick tyres and no traction control, limitless engines, and twelve lap qualifying.

And just for tv make everyone do a three lap run each 15 mins.

Problem sorted.

Or do what everyone else seems to be doing , like me, support Motogp.

It's much better (you know its true)

Ignore whats' left of F1, maybe they will get the message.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.