Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: converting road car to semi space frame
johnston

posted on 3/6/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
converting road car to semi space frame

what way does it stand wit mot and the like if you hack of the front chassis legs on a raod car and tube it out ??????

any guesses

DorsetStrider

posted on 4/6/05 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm just guessing but I would have thought that would qualify under the heading cut and shut........illegal

Who the f**K tightened this up!

dave dickson

posted on 4/6/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quite a common job when fitting much bigger engines into normal shells.
Have a look on www.valvers.com for ideas.

paulf

posted on 4/6/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the lastest PPC mag. Theres a Mini in there with the front cut and shut with a tubular subframe to take a vauxhall twincam.
Paul.

MikeRJ

posted on 5/6/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
I'm just guessing but I would have thought that would qualify under the heading cut and shut........illegal

I don't think so! Cutting and shutting is the joining together of two halves of a car, which in itself is perfectly legal unless it's part of some ringing operation.

However, as it is subtantialy altering the structure of the car, I suspect an SVA test should theoreticly be required, but with the number of cars that have had simmilar mods running about I bet no one does.

NS Dev

posted on 6/6/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
The last post above is spot on. SVA is your only possible hurdle, but look at the way they decide if you need one on the DVLA site...........if you are clever you can avoid it. I know plenty of people (incl me!) that have done this with no such SVA worries. Just take it for an MOT on the reg plates that it came with and see what the tester says!! I'd bet he won't send you off for an SVA!!

Going back to DorsetStrider's post...............what a load of old crap!!! Just shows the "general public's" misundertstanding of car construction!! How the hell do you think the car is held together to start with.......I think you'll find it is all welded!! Yes, there are dangerous and safe ways of doing the job, but spaceframing a front end is certainly not unsafe!!

johnston

posted on 6/6/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just take it for an MOT on the reg plates

problem is im in northern ireland wit government owned mot centers they are as tight as so u kinda have to go by rule's

MikeR

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
what harm is there in asking the MOT tester before you do it? At least you've got an idea of what will happen - not sure how you'd get it in writing in case he changes his mind.
davidwag

posted on 7/6/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
cut and shut.

How do you think they build streched limos?
Cut a car in half add a few extra feet, some extra doors and weld the lot back together. Hey presto
Better not tell your local mayor/the prime minister/the Queen that their car is illegal!!
David

Noodle

posted on 8/6/05 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidwag
cut and shut.

How do you think they build streched limos?
Cut a car in half add a few extra feet, some extra doors and weld the lot back together. Hey presto
Better not tell your local mayor/the prime minister/the Queen that their car is illegal!!
David

Or the undertaker....

Your sort make me sick

DorsetStrider

posted on 8/6/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
ok ok people calm down calm down. I stand corrected.

I figured that since the metals would be of different ages there was a danger of it not holding together well hense why illegal. However I am happy to admit when I'm wrong and learn from my mistakes.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 12/6/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
this is when I figure you guys are so lucky... In Belgium ANY chassis mods are highly illegal... For exapmle: a roll cage is not allowed, unless on rally cars, which can be road registered, but that's a whole different story. Tubing a former uni-body design is just not legal at all. Stretching limo's etc isn't legal either, at least not unless you're running a company who has a car builder status (in other words: nothing for locost forum members ) To prove how stupid these rules are: if I build it, have it SVA'd in the UK and re-import it (at least if the SVA would give it a new chassis number) it'd be perfectly legal (but a bit expensive).
As for cutting two cars in half and welding them together: that'd be VERY unsafe, but if you take the car apart the way it was constructed (on the original spot welds) it would be just as strong as a "normal" car.

johnston

posted on 12/6/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
just checked out dvlni's website and dvla and guess what i still dont know

plus it looks like dvlni(driver vechile licensing northern ireland) are changin their procedures

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.