Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting a VIN number
vintagebuilder

posted on 3/8/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a VIN number

Afternoon All,
I have just received an information pack from my local Leeds DVLA . I had requested information as to how I got a VIN number prior to SVA-I did not have a donor Sierra.

I received the following forms:
Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report
V55/5
V55/4
I have been requested to return the completed forms then they will allocate a VIN number prior to SVA.

Forgive my ignorance, but which forms do I need to return to get a VIN number.

Regards

David

Billbro

posted on 3/8/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
vin number

Make one up comprising of 17 digits and letters. I did and it passed last week.
(I got the same reply when I applied for a number)

Hellfire

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a bit back to front to me. In our case we had to have the SVA MAC Certificate before completing the V55/5 (Sheffield DVLA).

If however, your local DVLA wants the info prior to SVA, you need to fill in the V55/5 and return it, leaving questions 1, 21 and 23 as 'DVLA to allocate'

HTH

danro

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
So long as the number you stamp is likely to be unique you can do it yourself, my bro-in-law does it with trike frames.
The number is based on the welders postcode, date and other seemingly random items...
This gives tyo the chance to 'put your stamp on it' as such, you could probably use "vintagebuilder05" or "VB03082005XXXXXXX"
I think it is a nice touch to make your own up, it's personal - like your car.

just my 2p worth.
Q. does it have to be 17 long? or could it be more?

cheers

Danro

David Jenkins

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
As I've said numerous times before - "Contact your local DVLA office and talk to the bloke who does kit cars". Admittedly, not quite as easy as I make out, but a letter may well initiate the link (it did for me), and not all offices will communicate (Ipswich did). Don't try ringing the local office - you'll end up talking to Swansea, who'll give you the run-around.

The Ipswich guy gave the pile of forms, talked me through them, and came and did his inspection about two months before the SVA. By the time I passed the SVA all I had to do was go and register the car.

rgds,
David

Humbug

posted on 3/8/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
As David Jenkins says, speak to the relevant person at your local DVLA office.

For my VIN, I wrote to the lcoal office (Maidstone) and asked nicely if they would agree to the 17-character VIN code I wanted (based on family's initials, ages, etc. in my case). The person phoned back and said it was fine to use that, but I believe some offices will only issue numbers they have made up themselves.

Again, the process for forms at Maidstone is different from other offices: they wanted the V627/1 (build-up form) with relevant receipts, plus the V55/5 completed as far as possible before seeing the car and before the SVA. Apparently, once I have an SVA appointment I can phone up and make a DVLA appointment for the same day - I hope - and go along after the SVA when te DVLA willfinalise the paperwork and give me my reg. number, tax disc, etc.

richardhuggins

posted on 5/8/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Worcester will only supply ther own (dependant on whom you talk to there) all depends on what kind of mood the person is in!
vintagebuilder

posted on 10/8/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Afternoon All,

Thanks for the information. Thought I'd give an update. I posted the V55/5 and the Built Up Vehicle Report to the Leeds local office last night. Got a phone call today to make arrangements for the lady inspector to come to my home next Tuesday. SHE will issue a VIN number.
Not bad service!!!!

Regards

David

JoelP

posted on 10/8/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
i wrote to the leeds office over a year ago to request an inspection, still no answer! You think they've forgotten me?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.