Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sva centres - easiest pass where???
jimmyjonga

posted on 11/8/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
sva centres - easiest pass where???

need to choose an sva centre - dont mind traveling for an easier pass - any places to stay away from or go to??? opinions please - i am in cheshire

james

mookaloid

posted on 11/8/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would be suprised if it made any difference - The things that maybe do make a difference are how the car is presented and if you have given it full attention to covering the sharp bits etc.

Emissions, braking, speedo calibration are measured on machines so they have to be right anyway.

Good luck

Cheers

Mark

VinceGledhill

posted on 11/8/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
You have only one place to go to and that is Chadderton Manchester in all honesty.

I went there with the cobra before building the locost and to be honest thought that they were a bunch of little hitlers.

Now having followed the recomendation of MK (martin) and going to beverly it was a nasty surprise for me. Beverly took me 5 times to pass because of my emissions on the twin webbers.

Chadderton took two.

So, I say this.... prepare your car for the SVA. Then go along. Smile, thank the tester... then take away your "to do" sheet.

Do what is on the list. Then the next time you go back you will pass. SIMPLE. No brainer.

Worry not. I did first time round. Second time I didn't. (should have.... bloody webbers)

HTH

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

bimbleuk

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
The Cardiff SVA centre is very Striker friendly as they've tested practically every RAW supplied car.

I found them friendly, helpful and no problems with you sseing the whole process.

They stopped the test for me twice. Once to run off to the scrappy to replace a lost bolt and second to change one dash switch to be compliant. For the braking test the operator warmed the brakes up a couple of times and also let me adjust the handbrake cable to get a pass.

mad4x4

posted on 12/8/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I sorry but thats like asking which garage will give me a dodge MOT.
If your going down that road why bother with the SVA just tax and register it as a serria and kill your self.

I would rather have a very strickt SVA and know the car is as safe as possible than one where the guys says "Don't worry about thoses sharp edges you won't feel a thing when it kills you, death should be instant!

Would you drive a car with a Fake MOT? or buy a car with a new MOT and holes round the seatbelt mounts?

Up to you!

Don't get me wrong theres nothing wrong with a helpfull centre that gives you that missing bit of trim to assist in a pass or "you'd better adjust that quick"

[Edited on 12/808/05 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

smart51

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting opinion Mad4X4. So if the SVA inspector points out to me that the 2.4mm radused edge in my instruments is 128mm away from the steering wheel is a fail then I know that I will go from a death trap to "safe" by moving the clock by 1mm or by sanding the edge of the clock by 0.1mm to make it rounder?

Rhetoric over, There are rules and there are rules. If my handbrake isn't tight enough or my headlight aim is a bit off or my emissions are just fractionaly high at SVA, I want the guy to let me adjust it so that it passes, not fail me and make me do a retest at a later date.

[Edited on 12-8-2005 by smart51]

Peteff

posted on 12/8/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I want the guy to let me adjust it so that it passes

If he's as good as the crew at Derby he'll advise you on what to do while you're doing it.
my instruments is 128mm away from the steering wheel is a fail. If you took it knowing that it was wrong you deserve what you get, put a bigger wheel on instead of moving the clock.
sanding the edge of the clock by 0.1mm to make it rounder? Just stick a hoover drive belt or some rubber pipe round it. They know you are going to take it all off but it has to be right when they see it.

[Not edited on 12-8-2005 by n.e.1]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bimbleuk

posted on 13/8/05 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
As I sad above they let me adjust my handbrake to pass the test. I don't think there's many people here with a set brake test rollers in there garage

I had made a guess that mine ws tight enough at home as the car wouldn't roll back on a hill. To pass the VOSA required standard it needed a quick twist on the adjuster.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.