Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Acceptable weight for BEC
sgraber

posted on 9/1/03 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Acceptable weight for BEC

A recent thread discussed inserting bike engines into a production car and how it was just not reasonable to attempt due to the production car simply being too heavy.

What is the average dry weight of a 2 passenger road going BEC?

Furthermore: Let's assume a 1 to 1.2 liter engine as a baseline and the goal is to run reliably (not burning a clutch every weekend) and have spritely acceleration.

At what weight does a vehicle become too heavy to be considered reasonable for bike power? 1,000Lbs? 1,200Lbs? 1,400Lbs? more?

Thanks for your responses,

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 9/1/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
You will have to get your convertor out but a good BEC IMO should weigh in at 500kg's max, i got under this easily and have sub 4 secs 0-60 times and 130 mph top speed.........

hope this helps......

ProjectLMP

posted on 9/1/03 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think it really depends on what level of performance you are after. Performance is usually a priority for people going the bike route.

I think you could get away with a car weighing around 1300 to 1350 lbs if you use one of the bigger bike engines e.g. Hayabusa or ZX12. The As One is in this weight range with a 230hp 1400cc hayabusa. With a stock Busa I still think performance would be brisk by normal road car standards.

For my car I am aiming for a weight of around 1100 lbs with a 230hp busa engine. This will give a power to weight of around 460 bhp/ton which should be sufficient! To give you an Idea, a 996 Porsche turbo has a power to weight of 260 bhp/ton and it ain't no slouch.

For a heavier car you will definately have to up rate the clutch. For the Busa there are plenty of options. If they can get a clutch to hold 300 ft/lbs in the Dax turbo Busa I don't think you would have any problems.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 10/1/03 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
About 550kg seems to be the accepted limit for the litre+ engines, otherwise the clutches sh1t themselves. Below 1000cc, and the weight has to go down quite a bit too.
I race a ZZR1100 engine pretty hard, in an off-road car weighing 386kg, and have never looked at the clutch.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.