Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Black and Decker drills
mak

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Black and Decker drills

I'm currently on this site as my Black and Decker drill can't take no more and has started smoking. Does anyone know what i'm melting by pushing this drill hard? (a new style orange black and decker)
mookaloid

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I burnt out 2 black and decker drills and a bosch jigsaw making my car. They are one of the disposable items in car building...

Cheers

Mark

gazza285

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Its usually the insulation around the armature windings that smoke when pushed hard as they overheat when overloaded.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mak

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
This IS my Second!! Only bought it two weeks ago and already had it smoking.

Doubt it will last as good as my old green one, which only gave up after being abused on the pillar drill accessory. To be fair it never gave up, just made a loud grinding sound and smoked all the time!!

The new designs seem to be a bit toy like.

If I could afford makita i'd buy it

gazza285

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
For what you can get them for I'd look at getting a 110v drill and transformer as they are usually industrial quality. It helps that I need 110v for my job as I can offset the cost against my tax of course, but there you go. The only time I can get my Bosch drill smoking is when I am mixing two pack grout, five gallon at a time with a huge, home made paddle, and even then it keeps going.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
get a s/h makita or blue Bosch from ebay.

s/h good tools are better than new cheap ones!

gazza285

posted on 6/9/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mak
This IS my Second!!

"Buy cheap, buy twice" I think the saying goes.

mak

posted on 6/9/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
wise words
wilkingj

posted on 6/9/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I got a cheapo 1kw drill (metal gearbox one) from Argos, and paid for the additional insurance for 3 years. I have burnt out one, and am on the replacement. They even restarted the insurance for free
Seemed like a good deal to me... the additional warranty, cos I knew it was going to get a good thrashing durning the build. Normally I dont bother with the insurances, as they are not worth it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Hellfire

posted on 6/9/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
At least a Bosch - you get what you pay for!

James

posted on 6/9/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'm being weird but I think:

"Buy once, use properly" is a better saying.

Why knacker stuff if you don't have to. If your loading stuff that highly then you're doing something wrong I'm sure! And maybe asking to get hurt in the process too!

Anyway, it's your wallet!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ewanspence

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
use a bench drill where possible

I have had a B&D mains drill for the last 9 years and use it for steel and brick etc. Used fairly frequently but with care.

When building the car most of my drilling is done by a cheal (£39.99) pillar drill from B&Q. I have had the pillar drill for around 7 years and if you try to overload it the belt slips so you can't easily burn it out.

The pillar drill also drills through steel alot faster than a handheld.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

JonBowden

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've still got an 8 year old Black and Decker hammer drill. I have abused the stuffing out of it drilling long holes through stone. It still works but could do with new brushes - I'm well pleased

Jon

DaveFJ

posted on 7/9/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
fed up with 'throw away' cheapies I finally forked out £150 for a decent Bosch cordless. never had a problem and used 'hard' for 2.5 years now.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

lexi

posted on 7/9/05 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
For what you can get them for I'd look at getting a 110v drill and transformer as they are usually industrial quality. It helps that I need 110v for my job as I can offset the cost against my tax of course, but there you go. The only time I can get my Bosch drill smoking is when I am mixing two pack grout, five gallon at a time with a huge, home made paddle, and even then it keeps going.

Curious about two pack grout. Is it for heavy duty tiling and what are the chemical /materials used. I assume it`s used for. faster curing.
Alex

britishtrident

posted on 7/9/05 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Been using the same Black & Decker drill for 10 years no problems except the hammer action keeps turning itself on **** ***** !
johnjulie

posted on 7/9/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Take it back!
Cheers John

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

Russ-Turner

posted on 7/9/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second the Bosch and Makita shouts. I've given both brands some abuse in my time and they both stand up to the rigorous, daily abuse of the construction industry

gazza285

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lexi
quote:

Curious about two pack grout. Is it for heavy duty tiling and what are the chemical /materials used. I assume it`s used for. faster curing.
Alex

Its not tilling grout, its a grout for setting steel posts into drilled concrete. I use it at work when we are fitting stainless (usually, but can be galvanised steel) handrailing and balustrading into paved steps and ramp. You drill a hole 15 to 20mm bigger diameter, set up the posts plumb, wedge them in with small wooden wedges and pour in the grout. A quick curing time is needed as the railings are usually in a public area and time is of the essence, especially if its job and knock..

caber

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with take it back. There is a requirement to provide product fit for purpose and most peope in most DIY sheds and cheap tool shops won't be in a position to argue and are generaly told not to. I have done this with a few cheapie electrical tools and never had an argument about the swop , it heps to have the original receipt or a credit card statement proving you bought it from them

Best of uck

Caber

lexi

posted on 7/9/05 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lexi
quote:

Alex

Its not tilling grout, its a grout for setting steel posts into drilled concrete. I use it at work when we are fitting stainless (usually, but can be galvanised steel) handrailing and balustrading into paved steps and ramp. You drill a hole 15 to 20mm bigger diameter, set up the posts plumb, wedge them in with small wooden wedges and pour in the grout. A quick curing time is needed as the railings are usually in a public area and time is of the essence, especially if its job and knock..

Gotcha! It`s Polyester resin with a sand type filler. Same as the stuff I use for anchors in walls with threaded rod. I remember when they poured lead in to the stanchions.
Alex

[Edited on 7/9/05 by lexi]

Rorty

posted on 8/9/05 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Why knacker stuff if you don't have to. If your loading stuff that highly then you're doing something wrong I'm sure! And maybe asking to get hurt in the process too!

Here here! If you're burning the things out, then your bits are either dull or you've got little knowledge of, or respect for your tools. I wouldn't say I give my tools an easy life, but I've never damaged one like that.
In order of quality:

1. Makita
  2. DeWalt
  3. Bosch

I have fourteen Makita powertools and they don't get better than them.
DeWalt 18V cordless drills and angle grinder ROCK!
Unfortunately Bosch tools aren't up to the same quality as some of their other products.
Black & Decker are only for housewives tool boxes. No self respecting man would even be caught glancing sideways at one in a tool shop!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

NS Dev

posted on 8/9/05 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
quote:
Originally posted by James

Here here! If you're burning the things out, then your bits are either dull or you've got little knowledge of, or respect for your tools. I wouldn't say I give my tools an easy life, but I've never damaged one like that.
In order of quality:

1. Makita
  2. DeWalt
  3. Bosch

I have fourteen Makita powertools and they don't get better than them.
DeWalt 18V cordless drills and angle grinder ROCK!
Unfortunately Bosch tools aren't up to the same quality as some of their other products.
Black & Decker are only for housewives tool boxes. No self respecting man would even be caught glancing sideways at one in a tool shop!

fully agree.........except! Bosch industrial (blue, not green) stuff IS very good, I would say comparable to Makita, BUT, it costs more than Makita too!

De walt cordless stuff is unbeatable but again very expensive.

makita is by far the best combo of price and performance

owelly

posted on 9/9/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have always hankered after Dewalt stuff so when I was ordering tools for a big job at work I spent £4k on Dewalt stuff. What a waste of money. The battery drills kept on knackering bearings. The mains drills were clumsy to use (the variable trigger was all or nothing) and they also ate chuck bearings. The jigsaws kept lunching gearboxes. The angle grinders munched the bevel drives. etc, etc. We ended up using the old Makita stuff that we were suposed to be scrapping.
It's not as if it was one person we could brame for abusing the stuff but several 'competent' people who should know how to use tools (and were personally accountable for them). The old Makita stuff is still going strong and most of it is over 6 years old.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

gazza285

posted on 9/9/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have found Dewalt to be better at being a desirable brand name than a tool manufacturer. Everything I have is Bosch Industrial/professional exept for my 9" grinder, that's a Metabo, and my broaching machine, that's a Rotabroach.

I suppose its different when these tools are making you money rather than a hobby.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.