Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scottish Electrical Regulations
JonBowden

posted on 23/9/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Scottish Electrical Regulations

Can any one guide me about what the regulations for house wiring are in scotland - I understand that the part P rules don't come in until 2006 in Scotland.
Specifically :
Can I add my own sockets
Do they need to be inspected (if so, by who)
Does it matter if I use the old red / black cable or the newer blue / brown cable.

Best possible answer would be to point me to an on-line resource or book

Jon

albertz

posted on 23/9/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this site:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2003/20030008.htm

Or this site, which links to all the UK regs, note that the Scottish Regs shown here are now out of date, although i am not sure what changes there have been regarding electrical installations.

http://www.carryduffdesigns.co.uk/buildingregs/buildingregs.html

JonBowden

posted on 23/9/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a look at both. The first one doesn't seem to mention electrical wiring, the second one looks better but the document for part P is missing when you try to download it, the Scottish regulations document seems to give little information
Perhaps I'm being blind or thick.

Jon

craig1410

posted on 23/9/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I wondered about this as well although I too couldn't find anything concrete to guide me on the do's and don'ts.

To be honest I don't think it would stop me wiring in a new socket if the need arises, I've been doing it for years without incident. This new legislation is in my view just another example of the "Nanny State" although I would support a requirement that some form of certification be required to allow you to modify electrical systems legally. However, this certification would need to be cheap and quick to obtain locally for those who already have the basic skills with the option of attending a more extensive course if you have no prior knowledge. I'm all for keeping idiots out of the electrical systems of houses but in my experience Darwin's "Natural Electrocution" theory seems to take care of this pretty well...

Cheers,
Craig.

ewanspence

posted on 23/9/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
what about all those

added sockets from the last 50 years, will they be required to be tested? How does a home owner who doesn't buy a new build know what is new or original?

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 23/9/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ewanspence
added sockets from the last 50 years, will they be required to be tested? How does a home owner who doesn't buy a new build know what is new or original?

I think that's why they changed the wire colours at the same time. i.e. if it's black+red it's done pre-regulations, if brown+blue and hasn't been signed off someone will have to inspect, or someone gets nailed.

Wonder when the first insurance company will refuse to payout over an electrical fire using missing paperwork as the reason

JonBowden

posted on 23/9/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've been doing a bit more checking. I found this.
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/ documents/divisionhomepage/br0054.hcsp

The first link seems to indicate that in England, I can add new sockets to an existing ring except in a kitchen or bathroom. I may not add a new ring.
This is all I would want to do anyway.
It wories me that the only cable I can get now uses the new colours (blue / brown) so it will be obvious that new work is new

Jon

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/9/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
All new properties should have a test certificate supplied to the owner/agent. The form is in triplicate you should get the yellow copy. As for existing properties how can you tell if its new or old. You may say by the wire colours but you'd not be entirely correct as the colours were phased in before the legislation. The legislation also says the work is to be done by a competent person. Who or what defines a competent person??? Is it an apprenticeship, or someone who has passed a 2 day course, or the 16th rules and regulations on paper but never done any manual installation.
I work with electricians and the general consensus seems to be that it is not and cannot be policed at the moment so carry on as before mates.
As for house insurance that's a different matter. My own opinion is that they will at some point all start asking for test certificate bfore they will renew your policy and then everyrthing will have to be done by a business and every added item will have to be covered by a minor works certificate ( you'll get a copy, they are in triplicate as well).
So the moral of the story is get everything done before this happens.

JoelP

posted on 23/9/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
landlords too will soon have to do a safety check yearly.

To be honest, i did a lot of wiring before i got 'qualified' (does a 4 day course count?! ) Theres a lot of little things that you dont realise you are doing wrong. Like that buried wires mostly have to run in straight lines from sockets, back boxes need earthing, earth wires need sheathing seperately, all joins need to be accessible etc.

With regards to testing, its not essential but it is a bloody good idea. Ive only tesed maybe 20 rings so far, after i worked on them, and several of those have shown up simple errors. If nothing else, you should test continuity, insulation and the earth loop impedence.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.