Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow sump parts
scutter

posted on 1/10/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow sump parts

Greetings folks, I've just modified a second sump for my engine with a little more capicaty and the sump i got appers to be from a pre-crossflow engine, alls well except for the fact that the bigends tap the sump(now cleared with a ball pien hammer) and the crank has removed the channel that lives under the No.2 piston. I've circled the part in the photo(pic taken from Dave J website hope you don't mind)

The question is what is the channel for and can i live without it?

Could do with fiinding out before tomorrow as i'm doing my first long run down to the london boys for breaky.

ATB Dan.

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 1/10/05 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a 1300 crossflow sump you are using? believe this can cause a problem if used on a 1600 because of the longer stroke crank . Can't help with the part you mentioned though. If you need a 1600 sump send me a U2U , have a spare with a dent in the lower section but not a problem if you are modifing.
David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/05 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - been there, done that...

Modified a sump, fitted it, got a fearsome knocking when it ran. It was a 1300 sump on a 1600 block.

There's no way round it - the channel is designed to hold some oil that gets splashed up into the bores under the pistons. The 1600 sump is around 1/4" deeper in this area.

I sold my 1300 sump to someone else who needed one, and started again...

David
BTW: no problem with the picture...

[Edited on 1/10/05 by David Jenkins]

ernie

posted on 1/10/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I baught that sump for 750 race car
scutter

posted on 1/10/05 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers David, do you think that i'd get away with a 200 mile trip before I mod the original sump? (great site by the way)

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

If you mean "keep the original 1600 sump for 200 more miles" then the only worry is hitting it against a speed bump or similar - just keep your eyes open!

If you mean "keep the 1300 sump..." then the answer is no - you'll be scraping shavings of steel into your oil. It was amazing how much my 1300 sump got scratched in that area after a couple of minutes of running.

Have fun!

David

scutter

posted on 2/10/05 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
Well the original sump has been modded, only took 3hrs start to finish including fitting, then spent 2hrs trying to find out where all my oil pressure had gone turnout that the relief valve had stuck open.

Home at 2 in the morning feeling good about today only for the wife to start contractions at 3

ATB Dan.

flyingkiwi

posted on 2/10/05 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Oh sh*t, sorry to hijack the thread but that would explain the horrid scraping noise I've just found. Same problem, 1300 sump on a 1600 block.

What are the modifications needed on a 1600 sump? and has anyone got a 1600 sump loafing about I could buy.

Was quite chuffed when I got the engine running, till I heard the noise!

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

rusty nuts

posted on 2/10/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
flyingkiwi you have U2U
flyingkiwi

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Stupid question time....... Can you remove and fit the sump with the engine still fitted? I've got a sneaking suspiction that the rear bolts on the sump are hidden by the fly wheel cover.... Any tricks to get around this?

Cheers
Chris

David Jenkins

posted on 3/10/05 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yes... it can be done... but not a pleasant experience...

Here's what I did, after I found out that I had the wrong sump fitted:

Put the front wheels on ramps (the front MUST be 100% safe and supported - you'll be under the engine if it fails!);

Took the weight of the engine with my hoist;

Undid the bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine block;

Wired up the bellhousing so it can't drop after the next stage;

Wiggled the engine forward so there was a gap of about 1" between it and the bellhousing;

Wriggled over the hoist wheels and under the car, and undid all the sump bolts - yes, you are right, there are two that are normally obscured by the bellhousing;

Swapped the sump, then reversed the whole procedure.

It's an unpleasant, awkward task, with a fair chance of wrenching your back. In fact, it's debateable whether just heaving the engine out is easier.

Of course, if you have access to an inspection pit or car hoist then life becomes a little more rosy!

David

flyingkiwi

posted on 3/10/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
hmmmm, about what I figured out this morning. Might just be easier to whip the engine out.

Cheers for the help
Chris

scutter

posted on 3/10/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with David, ripping out the engine is easier, luckly for me I've not fitted the dustplate.

ATB Dan.

flyingkiwi

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
its not an issue not fitting the dust plate then? Will look into that too, also thinking of using that bit of titanium I've got loafing in my shed for a sump guard.....

Marcus

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar sump problem the day before SVA. Decided to change the oil, but couldn't get the plug to seal. Heaved on it and - yes you've guessed it - 'twisted' a hole in the sump
I pulled the engine and box apart, removed the sump and welded it up just in time. It's a pig of a job and yes I would probably take the engne out next time.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

rusty nuts

posted on 3/10/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Flyingkiwi you have U2U.
Locost82

posted on 4/10/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
The old trick of cutting the dust plate in two (from side to side) allows it to be fitted and removed when the engine and box are about 1/2" apart, and importantly while still bolted together so they can't fall out.

I no longer fit the dust shield as I need to be able to get to the bottom end as soon as possible. I fit an adapted dust cover plate using just the two holes at the bottom of the gearbox.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.