Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bigger silencer
smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bigger silencer

I am going to buy a bigger silencer to try and quieten my exhaust a bit. How much bigger do I need it to be?

I currently have a 24" x 5" straight through stainless steel can. I need to lose 3 or 4 dB to get into a track day.

Before I shell out a load of cash for a new can, only to find it is still too loud, What size do I need to make a noticable difference?

smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure that a 7" can will clear the body work. How much difference would a 6" can make?

I could fit a 30" can in the tail pipe was short, i.e. straight. A curved tail pipe would take up more room. Which is best, a longer can with a stubby pipe or a shorter can with a curved pipe?

marc n

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
colin if you are going to fit bigger give me a bell tomorrow and i can bend you up a offset link pipe to give you more clearance, as i have the 2 inch tooling still in the machine

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Marc. Can you supply bigger silencers as well?
marc n

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
hi colin not in diameter but can in length

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

then length can make a big difference on it's own

follow with smutty comment of choice

know what youre getting at though

[Edited on 17/3/06 by marc n]

smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Marc, How much longer is the longer can, how much does it cost and how much might it reduce the noise?

I'm thinking of going to total kit car live and so may be able to collect.

smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've looked at cans on a few places and they quote figures of 1dB less for aly than stainless. Aly might be an option.
smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd thought of that. If I could get a 6" long can with 2" outer diameter tubes on the end then I could put it in place of my link pipe. I don't know whether it would be as effective as a 6" longer can or whether it would be much cheaper than a longer can.
smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
The reason I suspect it wouldn't be much cheaper is that there are the same number of parts, requiring the same amount of time to make, just the perforated tube, outer cylinder and wadding would be shorter. the saving would be in material only. Still, it would probably be cheaper and if it would work as well it would be a nice option.
Lightning

posted on 17/3/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just shove a Merlin Motorsport muffler on for track days. Mine made 4db difference. costs about £50.
It effectivly gives you 4" extra length.

[Edited on 17/3/06 by Lightning]

Steve

smart51

posted on 17/3/06 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin say that on some cars their small muffler does nothing and on some cars it does a lot. it's a bit of a risk. I've tried allsorts with little success so I wouldn't hod out much hope.
mnr laptop

posted on 17/3/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
not sure what to suggest colin, my car has passed sva and brands noise tests, but failed donnington by 2db added a db killer and reduced it by 5db, had various customers who have had similar sucess. including ians v8. guess i will se again at oulton ?????
is the packing ok, i ask as i managed to solidify the packing in mine hence the fail at donnington, running lean on emmisions at sva with cat caused it. are any of the breathers left to vent to air as some of it could be engine noise especially from the crankcase breather

best regards

marc

ned

posted on 17/3/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
we used the merlin muffler at goodwood and managed ot get our 235bhp xe within the limits there which is pretty tough - i've heard they have less effect on bike engines though.

Picking up my new exhaust tomorrow, depending on space its going to be 27-29" x 7" with 2 3/4" exit.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.