Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rough price of tarmac please
Avoneer

posted on 3/4/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Rough price of tarmac please

Anyone know a rough price for tarmaccing a drive?

Price epr square metre would be handy.

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bernie955

posted on 3/4/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Actually I'd like to know that as well. Only have a single drive and could use a 2nd.
ned

posted on 3/4/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine does a lot of tarmac laying, don't have a price but block paving is cheaper per sq/m and you can do it yourself if you hire/borrow a vibrating plate.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 3/4/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I found that too. Block paving worked out cheaper than tarmac or that concrete stuff (pattern impregnated??).

gingerprince

posted on 3/4/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Guess it depends if you want it doing properly or if you want a pikey to lay a 2cm covering on your lawn
Avoneer

posted on 3/4/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ned - can you ask your friend for a very rough price per square metre of pavin blocks.

Obviously won't be using him as way up North from you, but just for a general idea.

Cheers,

Pat...

smart51

posted on 3/4/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had a tarmac drive laid 5 years ago. It was definatly cheaper than block paving. W had a hard core base with a 50mm wear coarse of tarmac which the guy said would be OK car parking cars but not for driving trucks over. I don't remember how much it cost but I doub't I'd have paid £2000 for it. My drive is about 8m by 3.
ned

posted on 3/4/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
i got quoted about £1200 iirc for the local council to drop the kerb for our double width drive, although the kerb is subsided so much I never bothered having it done - the pavement is falling to pieces though so I'll have to have it done eventually.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Avoneer

posted on 3/4/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
My drive will be 18M long and 6M wide when I get this new house.

I wonder if concrete would be a better/simple/cheaper option ???

Pat...

Jon Ison

posted on 3/4/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Pat, we got tarmac, wish i had gone block paving, had quotes for both tarmac wasn't that much cheaper sqr mtr, cant remember exact prices, trouble was our drive is a touch on the big side, with hindsight would have had blocks laid.

Nick Skidmore

posted on 3/4/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a big area done, three individual drives and our shared area and it was £20 per metre.

That was dug out, MOT stone base, base coat and top coat.

We had 5 prices and this guy was the cheapest which put me off initially but went to look at some of his old (2 yrs+) work and it was still good.

The most expensive quote was triple!!! the cheapest.

We had some block work done as well, couple of paths etc. and at £250 for a pack of 1000 blocks it's difficult to see it ending up cheaper than tarmac??

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Danozeman

posted on 3/4/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
You could lay a concrete yourself for not much money.

Dig it out shutter it up and lay some hardcore then get readymix to fill it up.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Avoneer

posted on 3/4/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - I was thinking about the concrete route.

I could dig it out and hardcore it and then get a builder in to do the rest and get a nice ribbed neat top surface.

Pat...

MikeR

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Gravel is always a good option for standing normal cars - if the car leaks, mix the gravel around a bit and ...... no unsightly oil stain

Careful with blocks, over time it sinks if you keep jetwashing it.

Moorron

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Think i can help here. Just about to get our drive done, 55sq/m is 3455 for block paving and 2000 for tarmac. Getting it block paved as tarmac doesnt like axle stands used on it.

We are using a guy who does all the Telford centre and carparks round here (also a friend of a friend). Going to take 5 days to do, but he as assured me that it wont budge under my range rover. 10 year garantee.

Hope it help.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Moorron

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
ps, geting it done as my gravel extension to my drive attracts cat poop, which isnt to nice if u walk in it and then walk thru the garage, then lye down in it to weld up car sills and smell it for days. !!!!

gravel is cheap and really easy to do, but it gets dragged onto the path by your tyres, cant work under your car on it and also the above.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

lexi

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Monoblock look nice when just done but I aint seen one that dont have weeds come
up through time. I think they are crap. You can`t power wash without resanding and vibrating it back in. I`ve heard all the promises of how much hardcore is under them and special membranes etc. Basically the blocks used are not good quality. I mean if you build a wall in facing brick there are scores of different quality brick you can use and the more you pay the better you get and good brick aint cheap. My driveway is on a slope. I put 4inch of concrete and 2inch crushed granite with steel mesh underneath. Put a ribbed finish on the slope and a smoother brush finish nearer the top where it levels out. Did it in five rectangular slabs with 20mm expansion joints. 11 ton of mix through a barromix mixer and nine years later it still powerwashes up every year. Ithink including the steel the materials were about £700. You`re only doing a panel at a time so can`t go wrong. If you can build a Locost you can screed concrete.
Alex

GEORGE80

posted on 3/4/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
block paving

i charge around £40.00-£47.00 a metre,
that includes 5 different colours, dug out, hardcore,bottom, then a layer of concrete, then the blocks, evrything.

JoelP

posted on 3/4/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
ive never seen block paving that doesnt sag, nevermind jetwashing it. Mines shite, its only been down about 3 years and theres a dent where my 406 used to park. Being on a slope cant help (nor can the underground stream!) but im disappointed really. I dont think concrete or tarmac looks anywhere near as good though, so maybe if i sorted some proper drainage and a better base, it might be better next time.
rusty nuts

posted on 3/4/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tarmac goes soft if you have a car with an oil leak , oil stays in. Gravel drives stay damp under the gravel for longer and seems to cause cars to rust quicker . Would reccomend concrete. Dries quicker than gravel , you can use a trolley jack and axle stands without "denting" the surface and can be steam cleaned if you have oil leaks . Just my opinion though, from my own experiences
wilkingj

posted on 3/4/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Rusty.. Concrete every time.

Tarmac... beware of Travelling Ethnic Minority types...

£50 for the tarmac, then later they tell you its an Extra £1000 for rolling and laying it AFTER its been laid.

BTW... cheapo Cat Litter stuff is good for cleaning up oil... cheaper than the special absorbent stuff for your garage floor.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.