Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork for CANAMSA
Fred W B

posted on 7/1/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Here you can see that at this point I determined that I had had to bring the highest point of the RHS front wheel arch hump up another 3 mm.

[img][/img]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 7/1/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have now started adding a bit more "fat" to the rear wheel arch humps towards the center of the rear deck.

Finally starting to feel I have now broken the back of most the body shaping.

Cheers

Fred W B
bb 0290
bb 0290

bb 0300
bb 0300

[Edited on 7/1/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Ivan

posted on 7/1/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Fred - watching your progress amazes me - you are certainly going for perfection and getting there.

It reminds me of an old work colleage (a surveyor believe it or not) who's favourite expression was "we are not grinding crankshafts here" as an excuse for mediocre quality work or taking shortcuts, and in many cases it was valid. However that definitely doesn't apply to what you are doing and I am sure that your "grinding of the crankshaft" will show in the end result.

Keep up the good work - you are an insperation to many of us.

Fred W B

posted on 9/1/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Ivan

I use the expression "this is not a space shuttle" quite a bit

Cheers

Fred W B

violentblue

posted on 10/1/08 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
WOW, i check for updates on your project every time i visit these forums. I'm always impressed.

a few pics of my other projects

sgraber

posted on 10/1/08 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
That is cracking me up! I use the phrase "we aren't sending a man to the moon" all the time!

But seriously Fred, you are really going the extra mile. And I just know you are having a great time doing it! Fun! Hard, but fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
thanks Ivan

I use the expression "this is not a space shuttle" quite a bit

Cheers

Fred W B

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dom9

posted on 10/1/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Fred, I have hovered on this forum for quite a while but have spent the last few years working away from home. So I never signed up here or indeed had the space to work on my own project.

I was offered a Group C Jaguar XJR-9 body in GRP a few years back, but I had to move house and so couldn't commit to the project and I also remember in one of the UK kit car mags a few years ago, another Group C/ Le Mans style body in GRP being sold for only £600 if memory serves correct...

I haven't seen anything (except maybe the Ultima) like that for a long time and so I have been thinking a lot about getting a nice, authentic die-cast model in say 1/10th scale and having it drawn up in AutoCAD (my missus, Lou, is a CAD draughy) and make the plug exactly as you have done in the garage.

I would really love to design the whole car, from spaceframe and suspension through to bodywork and own my own Group C/ Le Mans/ IMSA GTP replica!

This thread is a real inspiration as is Andygtt's work, which I have followed (quietly) on Pistonheads since he first posted there. The only thing that scares me is the cost and the time involved... Despite being an engineer in the oil and gas industry, having previously worked for Lotus and Ferrari, I would still be worried about trying to build a body from scratch.

If we are ever in town, and I have promised Lou we will go to SA soon as my grandparents were from Cape Town, I would love to come and see the work you have done.

Hopefully I will have the time and passion to do what you and Andy have done, over the next few years.

Fred W B

posted on 10/1/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
HI Dom

Thanks for your post. I would be very pleased to show you what I am doing, if you ever end up in Port Elizabeth. If you are planning a trip to SA, driving by road from PE to Cape Town (or visa versa), via Kynsna is reccomended.

Anything is possible, if you persevere. As an engineer you already have the problem solving skills required. Before I started this, I had no practical experience in any car designing or composite building skills.

As I said in another post a while ago, once I've decided what I want to do I:

Find out how to do it - books, internet, speak to people.
Get what I need to do it - tools, materials.
Start doing it!
Solve one problem at a time.
If you get stuck do something else for a while, then go back to it.

So just go for it

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 10/1/08 by Fred W B]

Fred W B

posted on 10/1/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
[img][/img]

TheGecko

posted on 11/1/08 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Anything is possible, if you persevere. As an engineer you already have the problem solving skills required.

This brings to mind the quote attributed to Nevil Shute who, as well as being a notable author, was firstly an aeronautical engineer. He said:

"An engineer is a man who can make something for five bob that any bloody fool can make for a quid!"

I agree wholeheartedly with Fred's thoughts here. Knowledge of the technical details of building a car are less important than the mindset necessary to enable you to acquire that knowledge.

I suspect that some people enjoy the problem solving aspect as much as (or maybe even more than) driving the finished product.

Dominic

Peteff

posted on 11/1/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I like Monty Burns' saying in the Simpsons " Good grief man,this is brain surgery, it's not rocket science " You'll see the shape more when it's all one colour but it looks good so far.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Fred W B

posted on 10/2/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
So now we have bigger hips...........

feb 006
feb 006

feb 008
feb 008

[Edited on 10/2/08 by Fred W B]

Fred W B

posted on 10/2/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Here you can see how much material I added when reworking the nostrils.

feb 001
feb 001

Now just need the edge radii formed

feb 022
feb 022

Fred W B

posted on 10/2/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
As always the devil is in the detail and the smallest things always seem to take forever. Here I am forming the windscreen recess

feb 108
feb 108

feb 024
feb 024

feb 025
feb 025

Fred W B

posted on 10/2/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Looking back up the thread I see I have been reworking for 7 months now. But finally I am happy with the major details of the shape

Cheers

Fred W B
feb 012
feb 012

feb 013
feb 013

RK

posted on 10/2/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
How much is 5 bob?
Kaspa

posted on 10/2/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
1 quid = 1 pound. or 20 shillings in old pre decimal curreny
5 bob = 5 shillings
not a lot
Kaspa

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 14/3/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Struggling with my motivation a bit at the moment, and have had a few other things to do. Haven't touched the car in a month.......

Cheers

Fred W B

Delinquent

posted on 14/3/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Struggling with my motivation a bit at the moment, and have had a few other things to do. Haven't touched the car in a month.......

Cheers

Fred W B

Think there must be a bug going around - virtually everyone I know that has a project running at the moment seems to be down on enthusiasm!

Fred W B

posted on 13/4/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Enough! Foam and preskinning filler work finally finished. Just completed shaping the front lower edges of the front wheel arches and the surface under the nose. Working overhead while lying on your back is not fun!

Now just radiusing a last few edges and then I can start with laying on the grp skin and the real surfacing.

Cheers

Fred W B

nose 55
nose 55

nose 049
nose 049

nose 50
nose 50

nose 51
nose 51

[Edited on 13/4/08 by Fred W B]

Delinquent

posted on 13/4/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats Fred, a milestone reached - and a bloody good looking one at that
autohausdolby

posted on 14/4/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome thread
ghetto_eddie

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fred,

I am building a body in a very similar way to you... even down to the little KD (modesty/whatever you call them) blocks holding the ply together..

But one big question... how the hell did you secure yours together? i started to assemble my buck the other day and realised my drill is too big and hence doesnt fit in enough for me to sink the final screw (of the 3) in the blocks!

My only solution so far is a 90degree drill adapter... but would be interested to see how you got on with this!

Regards

Edd

Fred W B

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Eddie

I made sure that I worked from the first station outwards, so you were always working away from the previous panel. Secure that panel, then move onto the next. You have to think the assembly process through to ensure you can get in where necessary. Put all the joiners on a panel before you add it to the buck where possible for example.

Where I sometimes had to go back in, I had to cut away the second panel back enough to get a short battery operated pistol grip style screwdriver in. Or some times I could use a very long adaptor made up from 1/4" drive socket set bits, through access holes drilled in the stations etc etc. Use a large "spade" drill

All the best with your project

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 16/4/08 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 16/4/08 by Fred W B]

ghetto_eddie

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thankyou Fred for the quick and helpful reply!

I shall see tonight if my 90 degree adaptor idea will fit in... if not i shall procede with the method you outlined above!
All the consideration i put into this build... and i overlook the smallest of things!

Edd

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.