Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZETEC CAM LOCKING TOOL
Krismc

posted on 5/6/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
ZETEC CAM LOCKING TOOL

How do i use it, ive bought the draper cam locking bar and the crank lock pin!

ive got the bar lined up and tapped into place- the cams are now locked!

How do i know when the pin can be put in to lock the crank because when i screw it in the crank still moves about a bit!!!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Monkeybasher

posted on 5/6/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
does it move more than a tooth?

If it only moves a tiny bit you will still get the belt on
correct position, it would have to move more than a tooth, I would have thought.

Krismc

posted on 5/6/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
it moves quite a bit. and can be screwed in in what ever place you put the crank??

someone mut have used one!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

stevec

posted on 5/6/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Take the cam locking bar out. Carefully rotate the crank until the timing pin touches, The cam bar should now slide in if the timing is correct.
Remember that the cam pulleys have no key ways so you should set the belt tension with the pulley bolts loose then when all is correct torque the cam pulley bolts up.Rotate engine at least two revolutions and check again.

[Edited on 5/6/06 by stevec]

CorseChris

posted on 6/6/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I got one of those too....and didn't find the pin to be any use whatsoever, crank just went round and round with it in place. Read somewhere it was for diesels?????

Used a DTI & probe in #1 in the end to find TDC. Turned out that the marks on crank pulley & sump where spot on as long as you use a straight edge to 'transfer' the mark from pulley to sump (IYSWIM).

Krismc

posted on 6/6/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
didnt fully understand either of your answers!

can you explain again! in proper england like i use to could spoke

Krismc

posted on 6/6/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
what and where is the timing pin??

Krismc

posted on 6/6/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
right ive rotated the engine with the pin in and it doesnt touch a thing!!
so i guess as you say its for a diesel!!

if i lock the cams up and try to loosen the crank it just turns and the cam pullys slip through the bolts!

WHAT DO I DO!!! AHH I HATE THIS ENGINE. ITS GIVEN ME NOTHING BUT BOTHER

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/6/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
don't try to turn anything with the bar in the back of the cams ! You'll break the cams.

1.Put the bar in the bar of the cams turn engine over by hand until you find the position that the bar can be easily slipped in at)
2. Loosen the cam belt tensioner
3. Take the old cam belt off.
4. Use the special tool as detailed in the haynes manual (see below), to hold the cam pulleys while you loosen the bolts (these will be very tight it's much easier if someone helps you when doing this)
5. Check TDC with the timing marks or with a dial gauge (more accurate).
6. Fit the new cam belt
7. Fit a new tensioner and allow it to "tension" the new cam belt
8. Once the belt is on and tensioned use the special tool again to tighten the cam pulley bolts.
9. Remove the bar from the back of the cams and turn the engine over by hand a couple of revolutions (use a socket on the crank pulley)
10. Finally check that you can still slip the bar into the back of the cams at TDC and check the belt tension.

Job done

I've used this method twice on my 95 2.0L zetec. Even if yours is the later one the procedure shouldn't be too different.

ps if you can't get the crank pulley off jam the flywheel teeth with something (again helps of you have another pair of hands to assist you).

pps I never used a locking pin to do this.

good luck

all here:

http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/zetectune.htm

[Edited on 6/6/06 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment cambelttool.jpg
Rescued attachment cambelttool.jpg

Krismc

posted on 7/6/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
A new tensioner???? can i order this seperatly from ford??

cheers for that, thats what i needed to know how to get the crank pully loose!!

mind didnt click to locking the flywheel off!

i dont seem to have any timing marks or a guage!!

[Edited on 7/6/06 by Krismc]

givemethebighammer

posted on 7/6/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
The tensioner should be available from ford /motorfactor. I have always bought cam belt kits (belt, all pulleys and tensioner). I just renew the whole lot, just seems a sensible idea.

The timing marks will be there, mondeo haynes manual gives details on where they are. However finding TDC with a dial gauge is more accurate (they cost about £8 from engineering suppliers).

If you don't have the haynes mondeo book, drop me a u2u with your email address and I send you the pages you need scanned.

Krismc

posted on 7/6/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
if you could send me them pics that would be great... i dont have the haynes!!

and the guage...where and how do i use it?? i have a rough idea

givemethebighammer

posted on 7/6/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The timing marks are smal notches in the rim of the crank pulley, they line up with a mark on the sump (haynes explain this), There are a couple on the pulley so you need to make sure you get the right one. But if yoy have rotated the engine and put the bar in the back of the cams one mark should more or less line up anyway. I'll try to get the haynes stuff scanned tomorrow night.

DTI gauge stuff here:

http://www.our-nest.co.uk/Caterham/2001_projects/zetec_engine_swap.htm

gauges from here

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2echronos%2eltd%2euk%2facatalog%2fcatalogbody%2ehtml&WD=dial&PN=Chron os_Catalogue_Dial_Gauges___Magnetic_Bases_9%2ehtml%23a6052025#a6052025

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/6/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
haynes scanned just drop me u2u with where to send the zip file

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.