Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bearing grease
JoelP

posted on 5/8/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
bearing grease

hi all.

im putting together some cortina ujprights with fresh bearings. Not a trace of grease on it at the minute, can anyone shed some light on how much and what type? I have some moly grease int garage i think, but do i need to do anything special to the timken bearings first?

Also, there is a nice rubber seal that i dont remember from before (pictures below) does this go into the hub or onto the upright first, and which way round? Also, the bigger bearings dont fit veyr well onto the stub, do i just push? Or are they meant to go into the hub first rather than onto the stub?

Cheers! Rescued attachment oilsealsmall.JPG
Rescued attachment oilsealsmall.JPG

daviep

posted on 5/8/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Moly or lithium grease are both fine for packing taper roller bearing with.
Before fittitng the bearings work grease into the inner race's (the bit with rollers)using your fingers making sure the grease is pushed right through on to the inner race.
The seal is fitted with the spring towards the inside of the hub and should be fitted to the hub before the hub is offered up to the shaft.
The outer race's should ideally be pressed in to the hub being carefull only to press on the edge of the race not on any part the bearing runs on, an old outer is ideal to press the new race in with. You can knock the outer in with a brass puch if don't have an old race or a punch.
The inner race's should be a sliding fit on the stub shaft, if they are tight check you are offering the bearing up nice and square and check the shaft for grooves or ridges caused by the bearing turning on the shaft in the past. If you need to tidy up the shaft be very careful and don't use a grinder or it will end up scrap.
Remember to fit the inside bearing before fitting the rubber seal.
The area between the bearings should be packed with grease and the grease cap should be 1/4 filled with grease.
Hope this is of some help, not exhaustive just a few general points.

Cheers to you too!!

JoelP

posted on 5/8/06 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
much appreciated davie, cheers!
mnr laptop

posted on 5/8/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
hi joel are these raceleda ones by any chance ???, if so the bearing will slide on when fully assembled and can be drawn onto the stub with the retaining nut, the seal goes in the rear of the hub

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.