Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aviation toilet waste?
ewanspence

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Aviation toilet waste?

We are having a debate at work. Do airlines dump their waste over the sea, or do they collect it in a tank and empty it at there destination?

thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
i havent a clue but how did that conversation start ?

Surrey Dave

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Excrement!!

I think they have tank that some lucky person empties when the plane is turned around.

I could be talking Poo!! though..............

Howlor

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was dumped and it's known as blue ice.

Steve

Howlor

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Linky

It shouldn't be dumped but it does fall from aircraft at times!

Steve

02GF74

posted on 10/8/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
so what about trains? surely some point back in time it was dumped on to the sleepers (that is those wooden things holding the rails not those who are not awake).
Ian Pearson

posted on 10/8/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
All modern passenger aircraft have the toilet waste tanked. All liquid waste from sinks and galleys is vented to atmosphere through heated vents to prevent ice build up.
mackei23b

posted on 10/8/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that it is stored, after all your faeces is generally ‘torpedo’ shaped and thus preventing the potential of anal prolapse. Flying at 35 thousand feet at –40 degrees, if this was dumped it could lead to the risk of serious injury from a frozen turd in the shape of a torpedo, what a way to go!

[Edited on 10/8/06 by mackei23b]

owelly

posted on 10/8/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they used the poo to make the in-flight food. Thats what it tastes like....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 10/8/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
The waste is emptied at your destination.
Most ice that falls from aircraft is from the build up of ice on the outside of the plane.

rusty nuts

posted on 10/8/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the loos but I was once in an Islander over Manchester held up by air traffic control going round in circles when one of the guys in the plane stuck his head out of the door and honked up . We were over a housing estate at the time ! yuk.
DIY Si

posted on 10/8/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bet the locals just thought it was some monster pidgeon!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Guinness

posted on 10/8/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
It could be an urban myth but this is a story told to me by a mate who's a pilot:-

When you flush the bog on a plane it doesn't wash it down it sucks it down the pan. This saves the amount of water they need to carry and means the drains don't have to lie to a fall like they do in your house. Hence the woosh noise.

When Boeing made the 747 a bit longer, the 400 Series? the distance between the bog and the tank was increased. But they suffered from blockages in the pipes. The initial idea from the engineers was just to turn up the suction a bit. Well a lot really. This cured the blockages but did lead to some funny shaped dents in the side of the tanks! They then had to re-inforce the side of the tank opposite the pipe!

Urban myth or true?

Mike

andybod

posted on 10/8/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
can confirm that ;poo is collected i've had the pleasure of repairing toilet service units as they are correctly known luckely there were always emptied and cleaned first also know some people who have had to go fishing for fake passports when they've been flushed which does happen quite alot
Simon

posted on 10/8/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was amused, a couple of years ago, by the story of a very fat woman who flushed before she got of the loo (at 35,000ft). Because she'd hermetically sealed the bog, she couldn't get up till the plane reduced altitude

ATB

Simon

peterriley2

posted on 12/8/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
ill tell that story to any of my 'more meaty' friends if they go travelling!! im more intreagued about trains- people say they are emptied over the tracks and this would explain all the toilet roll on the tracks in stations (although it says 'do not flush whilst in station'. i know when i went to morocco recently the train toilet was literally a hole that when you look down you can see the ground wizzing past! anyone with train experience here???

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

Simon

posted on 13/8/06 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah trains dump on tracks

So, if you've had a crap(!) journey, and your destination station is end of line, that's probably the best place to empty the can

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.