Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this a common problem??
Markp

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a common problem??

Hello all,

Im running a 2l blacktop zetec and I have now just knacked alternator number 3 in the last two months! It appears that the vibration of the car is shaking loose components in the alternator or bits of the electrical side fall off it.

IT IS DRIVING ME MAD

I can't belive I'm the only one to have this problem.

What alterntors are other people using?

The engine mounts aren't that stiff so I can't see it being them and all the alternators have been brand new units.

The alternator on the xflow engine I had in originally never went wrong so why should this?

All advise welcome

ATB Mark

big_wasa

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Very common to over rev them.

When speaking to Dunnell They said there was two choices, Live with the fact you will need to keep replacing a standard part or get a proper motor sport item.

As I Doubt mine will see many miles a year I have taken the first option.

martyn_16v

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
If that's the case then surely you could change the pulley size to drive it a bit slower, got to be cheaper than a motorsport jobby.
zetec

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I run a s/h Mondeo unit, 5.5K miles later still fine. Running standard pulley size for crank and alternator so should be running correct rpm ( I think that's right..). I use a Spyder mount.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Stu16v

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, fit a bigger alt pully, or a smaller crank pulley. Or both...

Dont just build it.....make it!

givemethebighammer

posted on 3/9/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Daihatsu Charade 1.3 alternator. I had a 6 rib pulley the same size as the original daihatsu one made for me. Over 4000 miles (inc. 7 track days)and no problems yet.
stevebubs

posted on 3/9/06 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a silvertop alternator from a mundao on the standard blacktop mundao mounts. Not quite a perfect fit but close enough.

Must have done 3/4000 miles and no problems so far...

procomp

posted on 4/9/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the most common problem for the alts to shake them selfs apart is when people mount them on the inlet side halfway up the block is that where yours is ?.

And no need for a mega expensive motorsport one either.

Cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Markp

posted on 4/9/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
procomp.

thats exaclty where it is, whats another alternative?

The pully is off a sierra so it is already about 3 times bigger than the normal mondeo pully,

Is there away to stop the vibration going from the engine to the alternator, like mounting it with some sort of bush, like the renault 5's did.

ATB

Mark

procomp

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi i have always foud that when mounted there they are prone to vibration. I mount all mine down at the bottom below the water outlet using the standard CVH bracket system assuming that your engine mount allows it of course.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadboy

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
That's very interesting, mine is located under the throttle bodies & has already snapped a 8mm mounting bolt which I have now increased to a 10mm stud. I shall have to keep an eye on it.
Cheers
Ian

Jude Performance Services

stevebubs

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is directly under the TBs, too. No problems so far....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.