Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a VX 220
paulf

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a VX 220

My brother has decided that he would like a sportscar, but doesnt want to build one and needs it to be a reliable everyday driver.He fancys a Vx 220 but has limited funds so is looking at the lower priced cars. is there anything particular to lookout for considering the method of construction etc? we have seen a few damaged repairables and repaired cars but am not to happy about buying a rebuilt car.
Are they ok mechanically ? i suspect the mechanics are straightforward but maybe difficult to work on.
If anyone on here has experience of them then any advice would be appreciated.
Paul.

[Edited on 13/2/07 by paulf]

tegwin

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
We looked into getting a VX220 and were told by the guy in the showroom that they were a nice car appart from the entire lack of any sort of heatshield between the engine and your arse....

IMHO for similar money you could get a pretty smart Elise...

flak monkey

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Better off with the Elise IMO. Although the VX220 is basically elise underneath anyway... Always prefered the look of the Elise over the VX220 as well.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jasper

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Speak to Fozzie - they own one and love it - more power than the Elise in turbo form that's for sure....
westf27

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Elise every time,vx 220 is basically elise with carpets,had two now,rag em to death,reliable and not expensive to fix as long as you advoid the stealers,the toxic frog is attached 172bhp Rescued attachment th_VirginiaWatersPHMeet-12-15.jpg
Rescued attachment th_VirginiaWatersPHMeet-12-15.jpg

andrews_45

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Last months PPC mag had a big writeup on em. They said a much better buy than an Elise...
DIY Si

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted by a VX220, as my mates Elsie has shocking build quality. The bloody thing rattles like a tin can full of bolts, and leaks like a sieve!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Fozzie

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yep got a VXT (turbo) 220.

Yes, the model we have is the re-vamped version (mid-2004) and has more power than the Elise, doing 0-60 in 4.70 secs. With 200 bhp.

However, it was designed by Lotus and built at Lotus alongside the Elise.

Handles like a dream, not so 'bumpy' as the Elise, but goes like stink......

It was featured on Top Gear a while back, but the NA (naturally aspirated), which is not as fast as the Turbo, and before the re-vamp. JC loved it.........

It doesn't leak nor does it rattle so more refined than the Elise.....

But if you are a fashion 'victim' and the Lotus badge does it for you, then go for an Elise!

If handling and speed are your 'thing', go for a VXT (as opposed to the VX220).

They are not the easiest motor to work on thats for sure,very confined, and no 'workshop manual', but there is plenty of help and advice on the VX220 web site.

I wouldn't like to comment on buying a rebuilt car, as the repair is only as good as the repairer......
The chassis is ally.........

HTH Fozzie

Pictures in my archive under 'new toy'

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

the_fbi

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I am a complete Vauxhall nut and seriously considered a vx220 n/a as I prefer instant throttle response to a turbo, Ginetta G20's seem fantastic value for money.

You get a nice Zetec engine in a light but well designed/constructed bodyshell and it pretty much appears a production car, with doors!

OK this one is a bit new, but I think represents excellent value for money.

Clickme

[Edited on 13/2/07 by the_fbi]

jamesg20

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
good call fbi!
Mines about to go up for sale.... and beats the spec of the one on autotrader by a country mile... oh and beats it on price by about the same too...!

See my avatar.

Hijack over!

Fozzie

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
Whilst I am a complete Vauxhall nut and seriously considered a vx220 n/a as I prefer instant throttle response to a turbo,

You should have given the 'later' turbo a try! There is instant throttle response and no 'turbo lag'....... the turbo does 0-60 in 4.7 !

Mucho instant throttle response

Fozzie

smart51

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'd be tempted by a VX220, as my mates Elsie has shocking build quality.

The elise and VX220 are build on the same production line, such as it is. I'd have thought that the two were pretty well identical.

The VX has a heavier but more powerful engine . It also has an airbag and ABS. I believe it is cheaper to insure than an elise (slightly). The turbo has no real lag that I recall from being a passenger round the lotus test track. They are both very nice.

greggors84

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think they are built on the same production line, but the VX220 has to go through Vauxhalls quality control where as Lotus doesnt seem to have any.

Thats what the PPC article seemed to be getting at anyway.

How about a S1 Elise if he cant afford a VX220.

[Edited on 13/2/2007 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

DIY Si

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
What ^^ said about quality control. Apparently, about 50% or so of the Vx's were sent back due to NOT meeting the Vauxhall quality standards.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Fozzie

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
I think they are built on the same production line, but the VX220 has to go through Vauxhalls quality control where as Lotus doesnt seem to have any.

Thats what the PPC article seemed to be getting at anyway.

How about a S1 Elise if he cant afford a VX220.

[Edited on 13/2/2007 by greggors84]

Spot on! the PPC VX was a n/a as opposed to a turbo, we have owned our one for 8 months now and love it!

Fozzie

the_fbi

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
Whilst I am a complete Vauxhall nut and seriously considered a vx220 n/a as I prefer instant throttle response to a turbo,

You should have given the 'later' turbo a try! There is instant throttle response and no 'turbo lag'....... the turbo does 0-60 in 4.7 !

Mucho instant throttle response

Fozzie

There may well be an instant response to the throttle being poked, but nowhere near that of a Z22SE on throttle bodies. Its simple not possible.

For normal road driving it probably woulnd't make a difference, but on a track it would.

Unfortunately after driving a 355 F1 Challenge and the experiance of instant throttle response, nothing with a turbo can ever beat that feeling.

And, yip, I've driven Elises/Exige/VX220 n/a and Turbo's. For an enthusiastic road driver a turbo may be fine, but imho TB's (n/a) is better.

DIY Si

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
How's about supercharging it then? Doable, or a logistical nightmare?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

the_fbi

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
How's about supercharging it then? Doable, or a logistical nightmare?

The engine is available out of the box with a supercharger, no idea if it would fit in a VX220 though.

You can also get over 600bhp from it n/a which would be nice!

GM have a fantastic set of pdf's and details of tuning options, guidelines etc etc.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=Ecotec22L&engine=Ecotec%202.2L&sku=19156263&engCat=rpo

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/race_shop_build_book.htm

shortie

posted on 14/2/07 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Supercharged Honda Elise, yes please

VX220 is basically the same car as the Elise chassis wise but VX has more creature\safety comforts than the Elise and VXT is quicker than a standard Elise. Fozzie could probably confirm but the VX220 probably doesn't leak either

Just depends what you want, as Fozzie mentioned if you want the Lotus badge then it has to be the Elise.

I loved my Elise and am thinking of selling the Indyblade and buying another, not because I don't like the Indy but just because I used to drive the Elise everyday, winter, summer, rain, snow but I can't do that with the Indy.

If you want a car that you can drive to the track, blast round all day and then drive home then both the VX220 and Elise can't be beaten, both great cars.

IT's a personal preference, I love the lines on the S1 Elise so that's my choice but others love the VX220 and Fozzie and Stu's is lovely.

If you are thinking of buying an Elise then go to www.seloc.org for all the info you could ever want, also lots on the VX220.

Be careful if buying damaged\repaired, chassis alignment is all important and must be right!

Rich.

Paul G

posted on 14/2/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have an elise s1 160 and loved it but it was unreliable - got a vx220 na now and I love it even more, if you like the looks and are not a badge snob it is a much better car in my opinion. If he's after keeping a dealer service history it is much cheaper to service than the lotus and insurance is a lot less - I pay £300 fully comp, at the same time i checked insurance for an s2 elise, it was double that. the fact that you can get 45 mpg out of them is also a bonus!

Theres loads of cat d repaired or repairables around which are cheap and easy fixes, and its not a problem if the chassis is fine - many have been put back together better than when they left the factory (thats not difficult!). Many are written off by the insurance companies if just the front or rear clams and lights have been damaged cos these cost a fortune from vauxhall but can be picked up for a fractiion of the cost on ebay or sometimes easily repaired. If its been in an accident and the wishbone mounts in the chassis are damaged though just walk away, it will cost a fortune and is only worth breaking for parts

[Edited on 14/2/07 by Paul G]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.