Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Sump gaskets with baffle plate 2 needed?
hobbsy

posted on 17/2/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Sump gaskets with baffle plate 2 needed?

I'm planning to swap my sump baffle plate (on my 2003 5PW engine) this week hopefully from the existing All bikes one to one I bought off here. (Doing this because I've heard of at least one that died when an All bikes plate disintegrated - I was being taken out for a spin at the time)

Anyway checked the book of lies and it shows it uses a gasket (the Blackbird I had before just used RTV/instant gasket).

I'm assuming I need two of these, one either side of the baffle plate. What have other people done?

And is there a good place to buy them from online like an equiv of David Silver spares but for Yamaha bits?

Here's a pic of the Allbikes plate so you can see why I am thinking of changing it to a one piece (without rivets) item:

[Edited on 17/2/07 by hobbsy]

fesycresy

posted on 17/2/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
There is one main sump gasket. No need for a gasket either side of the baffle. The baffle should be screwed to the webbing of the R1 motor.

But you'll need (or I'd recommend) you get new O rings, for the water pressure relief tube. And watch you don't pinch it when installing it.

I pinched mine and it leaked water, I think Chris mentioned in the past he pinched his on the top side and got water in the oil ??

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

hobbsy

posted on 17/2/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Duh, I'm being a complete nob end.

I forgot that the plate fits inside the sump and it isn't a sandwich like it was on the 'bird.

Cool just one gasket then, will order new o-rings. Should be too expensive.

fesycresy

posted on 17/2/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hobbsy,

I've had plenty of those moments !

Don't forget to lubricate the O rings, don't put them in dry.

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Coose

posted on 18/2/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Try any Yamaha dealer. Gaskets are pretty cheap, though you'll probably have to order them....

Spin 'er off Well...

Furyjim

posted on 14/1/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Please can someone tell me which tube is the water relief tube and where the o-ring sits on a 5pw r1
CosKev3

posted on 14/1/18 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyjim
Please can someone tell me which tube is the water relief tube and where the o-ring sits on a 5pw r1

Presume you haven't removed the sump?

As once you remove it the tube will be obvious to see,it pushes into the bottom of the water pump,and then the other end pushes into sump when you fit it.
They have rubber O ring on both ends.

If you look at the listing in the link it's the small straight pipe with the raised shoulder on each end,the rubber O rings sit on that shoulder.
You can also see where the pipe sits in the sump in the pics.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/2002-2003-02-03-YAMAHA-YZFR1-YZF-R1-OEM-OILPAN-OIL-CASE-PAN-BELLY-SUMP-5PW-/272726292024?nav=SEARCH

[Edited on 14/1/18 by CosKev3]

hobbsy

posted on 14/1/18 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wow ten year old topic of mine.

What id add 're the water escape tube thing is put the o ring on to the pipe before bringing the sump to it. If you do it the other way around you risk taking a bite out of the o ring with the pipe. I've had both that happen, my fault I think, and also an engine builder totally leave the o ring out. Which was somewhat annoying as it's a pain having to drop the oil and the sump when the engine is back in the car.

Furyjim

posted on 16/1/18 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry chaps, I now understand about the water relief tube, there’s another pipe that’s secured by a little bracket with a small Allen bolt. When I first removed it it was a snug fit, now it drops out if the retaining bolts not in.
Does anyone know if there is a seal or onring for this and what the tube actually does?
Is described as an oil delivery tube by yamaha

welderman

posted on 16/1/18 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just saying

Description
Description

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Furyjim

posted on 16/1/18 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
[img]http:// R1 sump pipe
R1 sump pipe
[/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.