Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY rev limiter and shift light - anyone got any plans
nick205

posted on 4/5/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
DIY rev limiter and shift light - anyone got any plans

I'm after fitting a rev limiter and possibly a shift light to my Pinto engined Indy. Not wanting to shell out for off the shelf products like Omex etc and being confident with electronic assembly are there any plans available for DIY devices?

Cheers
Nick

RazMan

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
How about the Evodash? All of your needs in one box and cheaper than a bunch of gauges too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nib1980

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
what about mega jolt it will do all that for you, and allow programming of ignition
nick205

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea, but I've already made and fitted my dash with gauges

I'm really after the circuit plans so I can build something in a box and tuck it away under the dash then just have a shift light on the dash.

nick205

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
what about mega jolt it will do all that for you, and allow programming of ignition

That's certainly an option, but more work than I want for the time being.

BenB

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
The shift light is relatively easy to do... The rev limiter is less easy!!!! Also if a shift light goes wrong its not biggy, if the rev limiter goes wrong you could knack the engine!!!
BenB

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.hondaclub.com.ph/diy1.html#

for a DIY shift light.....

which is basically the applicate note from the LM2917 application data with a few filters chucked in...

[Edited on 4/5/07 by BenB]

nick205

posted on 4/5/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting - that might be just the thing.

Cheers Ben!

britishtrident

posted on 4/5/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Rev Limiter / Gear Shift Indicator Kit

Refer Silicon Chip April 99. Reaching or exceeding the RPM ³red line² of your engine can cause severe damage. This rev limiter will restrict the RPM at an adjustable preset limit so that ³red line² will not be exceeded. Two lamps will illuminate consecutively before ³red line² and another when the limiter is activated. The rev limiter can be connected to 2 & 4 stroke engines with 1 to 12 cylinders and uses Hall Effect, points, low voltage signal reluctor or ignition coil to measure RPM. The project will also perform as a Gear Shift Indicator to improve acceleration times. The rev limiter requires the KC-5255 Engine Immobiliser Kit, which connects to the ignition coil to perform the rev limit. Kit supplied including PCB, lamps and electronic components.

http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=KC5265&CATID=&keywords=rev&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1= &Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

nick205

posted on 4/5/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
looks even more promising!

Thanks for the info guys

MikeR

posted on 4/5/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
i've got one from a capri club (via link on here). I've made it, just not tested it.

errm. link is ...........

http://www.ford-capri.fsnet.co.uk/whiterose/led_rev_counter.htm

tks

posted on 4/5/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
its very easy to build a rev limiter..

just tell me your setup and i can help you.
saying that you will need expierence with microcontrollers...

Aks me to help and i will..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

nick205

posted on 7/5/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i've got one from a capri club (via link on here). I've made it, just not tested it.

errm. link is ...........

http://www.ford-capri.fsnet.co.uk/whiterose/led_rev_counter.htm

Best one so far Mike!

Cheers
Nick

nick205

posted on 7/5/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
its very easy to build a rev limiter..

just tell me your setup and i can help you.
saying that you will need expierence with microcontrollers...

Aks me to help and i will..

Tks

Hi TKS,

Thanks for the generous offer of help. Fr now I'm going to have a go at the Capri one as per Mike's lonk. May still need to call on you for help if I get stuck though.

Cheers
Nick

MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Hi TKS,

Thanks for the generous offer of help. Fr now I'm going to have a go at the Capri one as per Mike's lonk. May still need to call on you for help if I get stuck though.

Cheers
Nick

Note that the project on the capri web site is only a tachometer, it has no rev limiter functionality. Useable s a shift light if you scale the range of the LED's though.

oadamo

posted on 7/5/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
i used a lm3914 chip to make a afr meter a long time ago my car had a sensor already in the exhaust it worked quite well
adam

tks

posted on 8/5/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
en my opininion to build a
coil based rev limiter the only things you need is a

- N Channel Fet (between the 4amp and the shotky)
- Shotky diode (for after the fet)
- 4Amp normal diode (for before the fet) and to car battery)
- Small cap (10uF) (between coil VDD and Gate Fet)
- Pre programmad microcontroller

the micro will stop pwming the fet when it reached a presetted value. this will shutdown the coil taking away the spark (on a carb engine) if its injection you could shutdown the power tot he injectors easyly) then a preset delay and you will reread input rpm.

The rpm input stage could be build with a optocoupler and some zener diodes etc.
i would do it like mega squirt v2 (very close to that)

rev lights/shift lights could be added to the micro just depend on how much leds and wich ones and wich micro is used.

Tks

MikeRJ

posted on 9/5/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Tks,

There is a bit more to it to make a useful system. To prevent (possibly damaging) backfires you need to make sure the coil is switched off at an appropriate time.

The commercial systems (e.g. Omex) do not interrupt the feed to the coil, instead they ground the negative side of the coil. This way they can gradually retard the spark to apply a "soft cut".

Syd Bridge

posted on 9/5/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
A rare post these days, so here goes......

The home made system we ran on the youngsters grass track mini's worked as follows.....

It all started with a Maplins Magazine, Gear Change Light article, then moved on quite a lot! The most difficult part is getting a clean ignition event signal for the 2914. That's where the Schmitt and the flip flop helped. Getting a clean signal for the Schmitt then became the issue. Then I bought an oscilloscope!

Input into a Schmitt trigger>flip/flop>2914n>opamp>voltage divider bridge>comparators>led's/
>Mosfet>gnd.

This setup worked reliably for 6 years, and took a lot of development to get working on the racing ignition. It's all analogue, so no programming, and all adjustments by 24 turn pots.

Biggest enemy is noise on race stuff. And the grounding mosfet needs to be at least 600 volt min., to avoid breakdown.

I've junked all the paperwork and circuits, but Mike should be able to fill in the gaps.

May still have a couple of assembled boards in the last of the mini gear. I'll have to rummage.

One opamp output was configured as a start limiter, and ran through a switch on the steering wheel.

The end result was Start Limiter, Rev Limiter w/adjustable cut rate, Change lights, and a Change Down light (just for the learners); all in one box and all analogue.

I set it up on the bench, against a tacho and pulse gen circuit, but the flip flop gives the ability to set up on the car at half revs.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 9/5/07 by Syd Bridge]

tks

posted on 9/5/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Tks,

There is a bit more to it to make a useful system. To prevent (possibly damaging) backfires you need to make sure the coil is switched off at an appropriate time.

The commercial systems (e.g. Omex) do not interrupt the feed to the coil, instead they ground the negative side of the coil. This way they can gradually retard the spark to apply a "soft cut".

I the event of over rev there should be activated a delay wich is adjustable by a potmeter.

anyway best way is to cut fuel (its also easyer) in that way a rev limiter can be a really hard revlimiter wich will result in a steady rpm limit. Just like on our Corsa!

it doesn't bounce, it just stays still also automaticly it never cant generate back fires...

Tks

Syd Bridge

posted on 9/5/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Here's what it ends up like. BTW It cuts sparks on the low tension (coil-distributor) side. Didn't harm a single engine in 6 years of racing. Sold near 20 of them to others also, and no harmed engines.

It's in the archives in my folder, if it doesn't show above.

The two red wires, bottom right, go to the switch on the steering wheel for the start limiter. Shielded coax ,bottom left is signal in, with shield to earth and signal/cut earth. Note the BIIIIIG capacitors, they are necessary for stability.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 9/5/07 by Syd Bridge]

Popee

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hey all, thought you might be intrested in my friend and myselfs recent projects:

Mine is a traction control system with launch control, rev / pit lane speed limiter / 0-60 timer etc....

and He has done a Digital Dash. Any questions feel free to ask!

Lee

peter17

posted on 26/3/14 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
en my opininion to build a
coil based rev limiter the only things you need is a

- N Channel Fet (between the 4amp and the shotky)
- Shotky diode (for after the fet)
- 4Amp normal diode (for before the fet) and to car battery)
- Small cap (10uF) (between coil VDD and Gate Fet)
- Pre programmad microcontroller

the micro will stop pwming the fet when it reached a presetted value. this will shutdown the coil taking away the spark (on a carb engine) if its injection you could shutdown the power tot he injectors easyly) then a preset delay and you will reread input rpm.

The rpm input stage could be build with a optocoupler and some zener diodes etc.
i would do it like mega squirt v2 (very close to that)

rev lights/shift lights could be added to the micro just depend on how much leds and wich ones and wich micro is used.

Tks

Sorry for old post, but this is a great idea. Please, do you know, can I use this component for 2T engine with CDI ignition? I need a rev limiter, who will cut off ignition (on pickup wire ~4V AC, or wire from CDI to ignition coil AC~200-400V) on some rpm e.g. 8500rpm single cylinder.

If you have some i formation, THANK YOU!! )

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.