Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin supercharged Lexus V8 taking shape.
thomas4age

posted on 22/6/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Twin supercharged Lexus V8 taking shape.

Hey all,

I've aquired another importand set of parts to build a
Twin eaton M45 superchared Lexus 1uzfe V8 32v monster of an engine.

and although this would not strike as locost to some, it didn't yet cost big money.

I have the
Engine, 480 euro's (JDM =2000)
4 laminova IC cores 80 euro's (125 each)
2 ex mini cooper S eaton M45 superchargers 220 euro's (350 each)
1 cut down intake manifold 30 euro's to mill flat
the desings ready to CNC the core housing (took 3 months)

the (prices) is what they normaly cost in holland so it's pretty locost sofar, and exept for the ECU all bigbuck parts are in.

the pully ratio is so that the SC's spin at top RPM (14k) at 6200rpm engine rpm all on stock parts! +/- 0.7/0.8 bar od overboost

the piece of wood that says 59.5cm to sump bottom is 0.5cm under the bonnet line, everything needs to be lower than that!

the engine as I bought it
1uzfe engine
1uzfe engine

the manifold on the engine
intake manifold cut down
intake manifold cut down

Twin Eaton M45's
Mini Cooper S, eaton M45 Superchargers
Mini Cooper S, eaton M45 Superchargers

The intercooler cores
Intercooler core detail
Intercooler core detail

The core housing desings
IC core housing drawing
IC core housing drawing

Grtz Thomas

[Edited on 22/6/07 by thomas4age]

[Edited on 22/6/07 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/6/07 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good thomas. Is this little lot still going in a GD T70? If so I assume you'll be at le mans in that next yer and not the striker!!

Keep us up to date with progress.

Ben.

thomas4age

posted on 23/6/07 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Ben,

good to see you've finnaly got some sence and bougth a 1600cc 20v engine whehhehee

Yes the lot is still supposed to go in that chassis, but it will probably take a good few years before that's ready. and then still I first need to find a new home for the striker to make room for the euurhm Large T70 4 by 2 meters..... half a meter bigger then the strikers footprint on all directions. whaaaaaa!

just make sure you'll get to le-mans 2008, 2007 was altough wet very very funny!

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 23/6/07 by thomas4age]

R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/6/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be there next year. If I get time i'll post a couple of pics of the new build this week. Still very early days but I now have a very well stocked parts store so shouldn't take too long when we get going. At worst, a friend of mine signed up to the caterham acedemy for next year. Kit should arrive in early december so we could end up in that!

Ben.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/6/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
How muh does the engine weigh Thomas?

thomas4age

posted on 23/6/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't weighed it up yet cause I can't be bothered to take it of it's stand vor that alone,
but lexus lists it at 119kg with intake system, so that's not to heavy. when it's time I'll take it of the stand to measure up the flexplate and weigh it on the scales.

but ad twin M45's in my case and I'l be up about 15kg, but they will make up for that in power no doubt.

Good going Ben come on and show us what you've got!

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 23/6/07 by thomas4age]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/6/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
That is very light for a V8 if it turns out to be correct, seems a bargain way to big power as well.

Do you think those superchargers will be sufficient though, thinking that they came off a car where one produces ~160bhp, are two going to be enough for 400+ ?

bimbleuk

posted on 24/6/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - The Mini's are able to push near 200BHP on the standard M45 superchargers (the more powerful models have uprated rotor material). So i would think 400 BHP is achieveable.

Ben - My under chassis exhaust manifold is spare now and I would probably sell my current 5" silencer too if that was of use?

Thomas - Jealous already of your latest project as the GD T70 has had a lot of engine mapping done at the garage I'm using. More specifically the LS7 engine based kit. If only I had the space, time and money I'd do one myself!

thomas4age

posted on 29/6/07 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hey all,

260hp is whats the absolute top in terms of flow, on a single stock 5th Gen M45. just is the 1uzfe head probably won't flow that good when stock.

The uprated material you talk about justin is the ceramic coating on the vanes, there's black and silver, Both Gen 5 though the black is the latest version. those are what I have.

anyway 400hp would seem adaquate to say the least, I know MR have been involved in the LS7 set-up brilliant work.

Just have to sell my sylva striker first to make room for the new chassis

Grtz Thomas

[Edited on 29/6/07 by thomas4age]

DarrenW

posted on 29/6/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
That is going to look fantastic. Id be tempted to skim the top of the inlet manifold down to remove the lexus bit and make a Lola plate for the top - or something along those lines.

With tubular manifolds etc it will be a work of art. Great project. Cant wait to see the progress posts.

thomas4age

posted on 30/6/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
The top-end of the manifold will not be used on the engine, a complete new topintake has been desinged which takes the intercoolers. that will be a flat piece of alloy 18cm by 42cm big on which I can engrave anything I want.

hmmm open for options!

ps Got a alternate alternator yesterday which saves a lot of room for the SC on the lefthand side of the engine.

it has become a block hugger below the exhaust system now! yippie first problem solved.

grtz Thomas

thomas4age

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
update twin supercharged 1uzfe

after setting up my new garage toy I thought I'd have some play with making up a few mountening brackets for the lefthand side M45 today (girls out with friends..... whatelse would you do?)

anyway I managed to make the first smalltime c**kup on the SC's I have made the vertical mount, but without having the outlet flange on the supercharger, (only the carbboard cover is on now) the flange will be 6mm thick so the mount is now 6mm to short... ah well cut and shut will probably solve that. otherwise it might prove usefull on the other side.... Oh jolly I need to do another one....

it's not fully supported on it's own yet, because I didn't have the time today to get the pulley's lined up perfectly. so once that's done using clamps I'll weld the 2 outlet mounts up to the horizontal bar which is allready on the engine.

just to make an excuse for the piccie's, this is the first all by myself purpose made weld EVER!, I doesn't look really good, but they at least stick.... (who was that mr silicon orso?)

M45 semi-fitted left side
M45 semi-fitted left side

leftside eaton rear vieuw
leftside eaton rear vieuw

Grtz Thomas

ps had a drive in a LS1 powered cobra this week, and only now am I beginning to understand what I'm actually building that stuf is very quick!

[Edited on 11/8/07 by thomas4age]

gezer

posted on 11/8/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
No wonder we're fighting the arabs,
Thomas is nicking all their petrol,

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

thomas4age

posted on 11/8/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
hahahaha gezzer I don't even want to think about the amount it would consume on full throttle, but appart from that cruising should be very similair to the normal Lexus LS400 probably even better because of the weight of one compared to what Im thinking.

it will be a full bypass mode set up, so the SC's will only make boost under acceleration, and will be in 100% bypass when engine speed isn't rising anymore. the compresion is stock 10.5:1 so when of boost it'll drive like a stock engine, when on go...... whole different ball game and compression works against me probably, needs some juice against knock

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 11/8/07 by thomas4age]

thomas4age

posted on 15/8/07 at 05:38 AM Reply With Quote
updated!

So another day of fidling with the engine now sees #1 supercharger mounted to the engine, and the outlet flange made up, I've done that by hand completly using nothing but a hacksaw and a few files, and once again Oh jolly I need to do another one.....

here's piccies

the allingment of the pulleys is spot on in real whereas the piccie shows an offset gap between the ruler and the pully, it's within 1/10th of a milimeter overall.

pully allignment
pully allignment

completed left side
completed left side

front left side
front left side

Mini M45 outlet flange
Mini M45 outlet flange

Grtz Thomas

Simon

posted on 19/8/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Stupid question, but is that going in a seven, and if so, will blowers clear chassis rails, engine mountings, steering column etc etc etc

ATB

Simon

bimbleuk

posted on 20/8/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Simon,

No I don't believe its Thomas' plan to fit it in a seven. Like me I'll guess he knew which engine he wanted to use and just picked a chassis to suit. So the GD T70 is most likely where it'll end up.

Thomas,

Makes my SC bracketry look simple even though I cut n shut my bracketry by hand as well. At least I only had the one to do. The alignment can be out a bit when using belts but of course you want it perfect just like me.

My project took longer than I planned but since I've built my engine and bolted it in the chassis its worked perfectly and much better than I predicted! The only failure I've had was on the alternator bracket which worked loose due to insufficient bracing. I didn't make that part so at least I can blame someone else

thomas4age

posted on 28/12/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
updated!

Hey all,

after a few moths not working on the engine at all,
(lets just say that 2nd half of 2007 goes in a box and the box will burried on the north pole)
I've finnaly got around to get some quality time in the garage. so late december sees supercharger #2 fitted to the right side of the engine.
the brackets will be also suited with round tubes inside where the bolts pass through.

this one was allready on but there's now a 4age alternator with the 6rib 1uz pulley attached
left side + 4age alternator
left side + 4age alternator

Right hand side #2 eaton M45
rightside eaton front
rightside eaton front

front of the engine I'll only need 1 extra support pulley for the belt run,
engine front view TWIN eatons
engine front view TWIN eatons

sump stays the lowest point of the engine. it may not be higher than 60cm with intercoolers on top of the inlet manifold.
Twins fully mounted
Twins fully mounted

belt run
Image deleted by owner

So on to the intercoolers now.

Grtz Thomas

[Edited on 28/12/07 by thomas4age]

[Edited on 28/12/07 by thomas4age]

oadamo

posted on 28/12/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
id check first you can get a belt that big
adam

thomas4age

posted on 29/12/07 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Gates have 6rib belts from 28.8" up to 120.3" in +/- 1.5" increasements, so there must be one availeble,
I could fit another 5 sc's propably before the longest one is to short, whahaha

OT but handy to know, gates numbers:

K06 means 6 rib belt (K04 = 4 rib)

in the # K061203 it says
6 rib 120.3" long on inner length (rib side)
in the # K060288
6rib 28.8" long on inner length (rib side)

the metric coding is like this,
PK62245
PK6 = 6 rib
2245mm long inner length (rib side)

the original belt is 2245MM (88.3" long

so that's covvered, there's a tension pully with a spring attached so that has some play, lets just hope it's strong enough.

grtz thomas

bimbleuk

posted on 29/12/07 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good as usual!

Obviously this is an early stage and you already be aware of it but keep in mind you my need to add additional sprung tensioners in between the long belt runs. What I mean is you may get belt whip as the superchargers speed up and slow down under the huge dynamic loads.

Justin

Mave

posted on 29/12/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good Thomas.

My charger should be in the mail too!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 29/12/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is there going to be enough friction to drive the alternator with that small contacted radius?

monster looking engine though makes my NA RV8 look puny.

thomas4age

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Justin,

I asked a long time ago about the length that a belt may run unsupported, but noone awnsered, can you tell anything consstructive?
I've seen guys run single M90 compressors with unsupported lengths bigger than my layout on the previous page , they dont seem to have problems,
there's also one difference in my system, the complete load of the SC system is devided over 2 pulleys, so belt slipage on the chargers should be OK (mini sport don't have problems with up to 220hp)

I'll measure the longest length unsupported but doubt that it is longer than 25cm. this engine is tiny

@ blueshift: I think I'll be allright, in the original mode it's about the same and I don't run a very big electrical system + the 4age alternator normaly runs on a 5 rib belt and it's niow converted to 6 rib so additional friction is allready there.
I tried to get as much wrap around the cranck pulley and SC pulleys I could, and was even willing to move the alternator to the driveshafts on the gearbox.

@Mave, Nice man going on the Zetec I suppose? if you find anything that let's us connect a throttle bodie to the supercharger entry please let me know, still looking for a cheap well thought solution.

Grtz Thomas

bimbleuk

posted on 30/12/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Thomas,

Unless someone else has already done this same setup before then its just something to be aware of when the engine initially runs. Just get someone to watch and blip the throttle on off sharply to see what happens. More of a problem though if you don't have any sort of sprung tensioner in the system like on my engine!

In the picture below the small pulley at the top was added as a precaution against whip. Not to provide more wrap as you might first deduce. The OMEX installation has very similar belt runs to mine but they don't have the pulley at the top. On the rollers their setup spat off a belt on the first day of tuning. So they went away and revised their design. They still don't have the top pulley so maybe they have a sprung pulley at the bottom.

Justin

Rotrex brackets - front left
Rotrex brackets - front left

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.