Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: my first brush with the plod!
Dillinger1977

posted on 23/6/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
my first brush with the plod!

while I was out today with my continued emission woes, I drove past a police van on the way to the garage.
while in the garage, the police van turns up!

They'd obviously clocked the lack of plates, done a 180 and followed me to the garage. (I would have been well away but its hard to hide a bright orange car on the forecourt!)

anyway, policeman gets out, does the usual
'is this your car sir, where are the plates etc'
and I was bricking it..
but luckily i had a folder with every bit of paperwork in it, and calmly explained the law regarding driving to and from places for repair work.

ends up with the policeman sheepishly mumbling something and driving off. The mechanics at the garage were laughing quite a lot as they said the police looked 'properly gutted' that he couldnt do anything.
im not gloating, he's only doing his job really so im not having a dig, but the other people there loved it..

anyway, thats my first experience with the law in the MNR, and its not even legal yet. lets hope it doesnt happen again!!

-Rog

SeaBass

posted on 23/6/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Following on from this then...

Can I drive my car (insured) to a pre booked MOT without any tax??

Cheers

BenB

posted on 23/6/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes! Enjoy!!
farmer.palmer

posted on 23/6/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a thread anywhere explaining the law regarding driving vehicles which are not registered etc to garages, tests etc?

thanks

james

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

jamesg20

posted on 23/6/07 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
No you can't thats quite clear. Needs to be insured against the chassis number.

Didn't read the post properly... sorry.
Does need to be insured though. I got stopped by old bill driving mine with no plates pre sva, just as a fuel hose let go....
How i laughed later. Much later.

[Edited on 23/6/07 by jamesg20]

froggy

posted on 23/6/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
my mate is bringing his transit back from france with no tax or test and technically he is covered by booking it in at my place
Dillinger1977

posted on 23/6/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
wow thats stretching the law a bit !

it is rather tempting to book it in for 'repairs' at a garage quite far away, with some lovely b-roads inbetween!

To be honest, I didn't know anything about this until my SVA examiner told me I could do it, to try and sort the emissions out.
I think as long as its prebooked (not just verbal, get the garage to log it in as proof) and you have paperwork to explain it, you should be fine.

[Edited on 23/6/07 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

zxrlocost

posted on 23/6/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
whatever the law is

my cover note today said insured chassis number to use for domestic AND social pleasure and thats exactly what I did!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Krismc

posted on 23/6/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can some one run this law business past me....i just started engine today and would like to do some testing!!!

...tell me more!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

NigeEss

posted on 23/6/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
Can some one run this law business past me....i just started engine today and would like to do some testing!!!

...tell me more!

AFAIK it only applies to/from a pre-booked test.

zxrlocost

posted on 24/6/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
yes you are supposed to insure the car for the day make sure its got brake lights etc lol

it costs £25 through adrian flux(they knock all the £25 off your final insurance though when the car is registered)

so then you drive to and from an arranged pre MOT not a proper MOT

so like a check over

however if you dont turn up etc it cant be helped as YOU WERE ON your way

DarrenW

posted on 27/6/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesg20
I got stopped by old bill driving mine with no plates pre sva, [Edited on 23/6/07 by jamesg20]

why was old bill driving your car??

marc n

posted on 27/6/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

why was old bill driving your car??

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toady1

posted on 15/7/07 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I got pulled by traffic cops on way home from my passed SVA! I knew the law and wasnt speeding, and had clocked him in the unmarked vauxhall elite! so knew there was nowt to worry about! Turned out they were petrol heads too and just appreciated the car! shame all coppers arent the same!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.