Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: herringbone edge trim
jabbahutt

posted on 18/7/07 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
herringbone edge trim

Morning all

I'm feeling really stupid asking this as it should be easy but I'm having real difficulty using this stuff.
Tried to put some round a bonnet cut out last night and got no where fast. It's the kind with the metal clips along the inside and we either couldn't get the trim to fit the edge or when we tried to open it up running a screwdriver along it the metal tabs came out!

Is there a technique to fitting this stuff or is it a matter of being firmer with it? didn't want to force it in case in wrecked the gel coat.

thanks for any advice.

Nigel

RazMan

posted on 18/7/07 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few different sizes available (for various panel thicknesses) - are you sure you have the right one for the job? Woolies do a good selection.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 18/7/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
it's stuff from Woolies I'm using. I have around three sizes from small to what I consider large.
Looking at it from the end the opening that you would expect to fit the panel into the tips of the trim are touching which ia what made me expect that it needed a screwdriver running down it to open it up slightly. As above though that just pulled out the metal tabs which I asume help keep it closed.

bimbleuk

posted on 18/7/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I usually just bend back the strip as you apply it as this splays the clips enough to get them over the edge. Then use a piece of wood or small hammer and tap the edge firmly home. Thicker material can be difficult to work with but I've probably got 5 differnt types and several meters on my car now!
Peteff

posted on 18/7/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
is it a matter of being firmer with it?

Bend it back and tap it on with a hammer shaft or rubber hammer and don't cut it till you get to the end. Warm it with a hair dryer if it needs it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.