Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Isocyanate free 2 pack paint
ed_crouch

posted on 10/8/07 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Isocyanate free 2 pack paint

I is currently in yankeeland. A friend of mine over here is restoring a 'Stang, and is about to get going with the primer.

He told me he was spraying 2pack, and I gave him the usual warning about isocyanates.

He said that wasnt a problem, cos the 2 pack hes using is isocyanate-free.

what a CORKING idea!!

Whens this going to jump the atlantic I wonder?? Sounds like a top idea to me: decent paint finishes that dont kill the DIYer...

Ed.
P.S. Probably be banned in the nanny state for being too effective. Bring back Organo-Phosphate crop sprays etcetcetcetc.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

David Jenkins

posted on 10/8/07 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
One big problem with paints, whether they're iso-cyanate or not, is the risk of breathing in air-borne particles.

It was never good to breathe in cellulose particles, but at least they would eventually break down inside your body*. Nicely hardened 2-pack paint never will, and would eventually lead to lung problems similar to silicosis.

You really can't beat a good paint booth and air mask to be entirely safe.

DJ

* I am not advocating the use of cellulose paint without all due precautions either!

Peteff

posted on 10/8/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
They're acrylics

We've had them for years.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ed_crouch

posted on 10/8/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ill find out today, but apparently not... Still has to mix catalyst into the paint, which makes it 2-pack.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ed_crouch

posted on 10/8/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
linky:

iso free 2K

TangoMan

posted on 10/8/07 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Isocyanate based paints are only one form of two pack. Two pack simply means the end substrate is chemically hardened.
There are acrylics and synthetics which are non isocyanate based. We are currently using a clear lacquer which is UV dried, although two pack as it needs a catalyst to absorb the UV rays.

Great stuff, show it the UV lamp and it is polish dry in 7 minutes, with no heat!!!

Not cheap though!!!!

and sunburn could still be a problem

With all the highlighted concerns with isocyanate based paints, don't forget the other risks. Any airborne particles will damage your lungs, especially polyester based fillers. Some paints, etch wash primers specifically, are carcinogenic and cause cancer.

My advice is always wear a mask for preparation and painting. No point building a car and growing too old to use it very quickly. Goggles are also important when painting if you do not a full face airfed respirator.

I used to ignore this advice when I was young and stupid. I now have eyes which are always a problem as they became sensitized to isocyanate. If I spend too much time around paint fumes now I get big bags of puss under the skin of my eyeballs. It is not a look that I am keen on

I never leave home without eyewash as even a short drive with no roof and no glasses (doors on!!) causes my eyes to play up for the rest of the day.

[Edited on 10/8/07 by TangoMan]

Summer's here!!!!

Peteff

posted on 10/8/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Here's some top coat. Chlorinated rubber pain is one that I am allergic to. We used to use a floor paint which choked me, I had to go home if they'd used it in the factory and eventually they stopped using it as more people were getting sensitized to it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 10/8/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
bought an airfed mask a few weeks ago, and now I use it for sanding, cutting grp, painting, everything in fact!!!

I HATE face masks with a passion, can't stand the bloody things so never wore them with the obvious consequences, but now I have used an airfed I am never going back.

Get some nice light curly airline to feed it and a decent belt for it and you hardly notice it, and it feeds lovely cool air on those horrid hot days!! (as long as you ahve a big tank on your compressor obviously!!! )

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.