Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B&Q mesh
jabbahutt

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q mesh

Afternoon

I've been looking on the threads reqarding mesh and severl time B&Q have been mentioned for about £10. I've wandered around my local superstore a couple of times now and seen none.
What times do they sell (colour/style)? and which section is it usually in. I've given up asking as I either can't find anyone to ask or they vaguely wave there arms round and say round here

would really like to crack on with grille etc so the front end looks a bit more finshed.

thanks
Nigel

nib1980

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used a thick plastic bird mesh netting from ebay, very good and very strong and easy to use!

B&Q mesh is kept next to the metal sections, square angle etc, lots of styles, usually near the rope too

hope that helps

smart51

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q warehouses have more metal in stock than the smaller branches.

They have expanded mesh in steel and alu, plus some perforated sheet. It isn't cheap.

I used halfords stainless wire mesh which looks nicer, I think.

graememk

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
my B&Q mesh has rusted.

Macbeast

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can see, trouble with B&Q / Homebase mesh is there's too much metal and too little hole so it would hamper the airflow.

What I was hoping for was old fluorescent tube diffuser to give egg-crate
effect but after a year of keeping an eye open, I've not seen any.

Anyone know who might sell egg-crate grill ?

Like this

[Edited on 4/9/07 by Macbeast]

David Jenkins

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Look in B&Q for a stand holding steel, aluminium and plastic bars in various sizes and shapes. You will probably find a vertical stand just to 1 side of it, containing assorted sheet metal, including expanded ali mesh.

Personally, I found their ali mesh to be thin and flimsy, and I wouldn't put any steel mesh on the front that wasn't stainless.

FWIW, I've seen nicer mesh in Halfords - and there's some woven stainless steel mesh that looks VERY attractive! Their ali mesh was around £10 - £15 a piece, and the woven stainless was around £25 (I think - may be more). Each piece was enough to do 2, maybe 3, seven-style grilles.

HTH,
David

GazzaP

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I found the mesh in the b + q whorehouse in the garden centre bit outside with fence panels and stuff

Gary

www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk

BenB

posted on 4/9/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
At my local warehouse it's next to the square section tube etc (same as in every B+Q I've been to who stocked it).

The steel mesh is okay but you'll need to spray it or it'll go rusty
Some plasticoat red oxide primer and plasticoat black satin did the job for me....

02GF74

posted on 4/9/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Your mistake is that you are looking inside the store - think outside the box and look at those trolley, lovingly crafted from mesh.

B&Q sell expanded mesh (aluminium sheet cut with tiny slices then pulled to open up the holes) - shite in my opinion and mesh for making rabit hutches. This is quite flimsy.

There are companies mulitmesh (?) and 1 other that can sell you any mesh you like in a variety of materials - stainless steel being one of them. troulbe is they sell in large pieces (e.g. 1 m square) so maybe a group buy?

JAG

posted on 4/9/07 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I used 2" square steel weld-mesh. It's round bar about 1.5mm diameter welded together in a square pattern, lot's of lovely holes

It's also zinc coated so won't rust and mine was free out of a skip on a local trading estate. Just asked the guy nicely and he gave it to me.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

MkIndy7

posted on 4/9/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
What I was hoping for was old fluorescent tube diffuser to give egg-crate
effect but after a year of keeping an eye open, I've not seen any.

Anyone know who might sell egg-crate grill ?
[Edited on 4/9/07 by Macbeast]

Its a much smaller mesh, but there's Veltilation extract grills, Have a look up next time your in the Supermarket or office.

I think there 600x600 Square or whatever the size of a normal cieling tile is, or they do bigger rectangle ones for overdoor heaters.

Might be able to aquire one from a Heating and Veltilating company or a site close by!

nick205

posted on 4/9/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
At my local warehouse it's next to the square section tube etc (same as in every B+Q I've been to who stocked it).

The steel mesh is okay but you'll need to spray it or it'll go rusty
Some plasticoat red oxide primer and plasticoat black satin did the job for me....

Ditto - exactly what I did and no sign of rust yet. It does a very good job of keeping the flies and other debris out of the radiator too.

The Doc

posted on 5/9/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I used a BBQ grille and welded a 4mm rod surround to it with four bolts facing backwards to fix to four lugs in the nose. Didnt take as long as one might think to weld it and tidy up with a file after.

Had to paint it of course as the chrome burned off with the welding.

Anyone know if there's an SVA issue with the diameter/radius of and size of gaps between the mesh rods in the grille?

iank

posted on 5/9/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Doc
I used a BBQ grille and welded a 4mm rod surround to it with four bolts facing backwards to fix to four lugs in the nose. Didnt take as long as one might think to weld it and tidy up with a file after.

Had to paint it of course as the chrome burned off with the welding.

Anyone know if there's an SVA issue with the diameter/radius of and size of gaps between the mesh rods in the grille?

Grill radius information is in this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=70807

Not too sure about welding chrome plated steel - wouldn't it give off poisonous fumes?

[Edited on 5/9/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

saigonij

posted on 5/9/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
i brought some mesh from B&Q and used a fibre glass repair kit to fiberglass it to the inside of the nosecone.

just dont "somehow" get resin on the outside.... ;-(

( all off and looking great now though )

gottabedone

posted on 8/9/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Macbeast,

If you decide what sized square hole you want and how deep you want the grille and "egg crate" look you could make it quite easily out of sheet ally. If you cut holes halfway through each horrizontal and vertical where they intersect, turn them around and slot them into each other - you have an egg crate. If you cut the slots to a tight fit then it will add rigidity.
You could run a piece of ally around the whole grille and use some right angled pieces riveted between this piece and the grille.
Use some paper/card as a template and build the whole thing off the car. If it's not rigid enough then you could rivet some more angles into the egg crate between horrizontal and vertical.

hope this helps as I did a similar thing a few years ago (don't have it to show you a pikky of unfortunately)

regards

Steve

Macbeast

posted on 8/9/07 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve, I was thinking the same.

Unfortunately I'm a measure twice, cut once and still get it wrong sort of person.

But it's worth a try

MikeRJ

posted on 8/9/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Thanks Steve, I was thinking the same.

Unfortunately I'm a measure twice, cut once and still get it wrong sort of person.

"Measure twice, cut once, discard, repeat"

gottabedone

posted on 9/9/07 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
In that case try measuring twice and getting someone else to cut

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.