Poll: Roll Call. [Back to Voting]
I'm not building a middy but like reading what you mad buggers are up to. 34 (0%) -»
I've finished the thing. 4 (0%) -»
I'm in the middle of construction. 18 (0%) -»
I've yet to start construction. 17 (0%) -»
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Call.
Doug68

posted on 6/9/07 at 04:51 AM Reply With Quote
Roll Call.

Posting here seems to have gone a bit quiet lately, so I was wondering who's doing what these days with mid-engined projects...

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Fred W B

posted on 6/9/07 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still here, working, building, thinking etc..

Most of my effort at the moment is documented HERE

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 6/9/07 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

RazMan

posted on 6/9/07 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I finished mine last Xmas (2006) and have been using it on a daily basis since then, having covered nearly 9k miles so far.

I really miss the building process though, and keep thinking about the next project ..... but don't tell my bank manager or I'll be in deep trouble

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 6/9/07 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I clicked 'Finshed the thing' but I'm fitting a new engine and this looks like a pretty major job (again!).

Wyn

ditchlewis

posted on 6/9/07 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
RaZman i saw you on the A12 a couple of weeks back. cool car really stands out from the rest of the hacks trudging up and down to work

Ditch

RazMan

posted on 6/9/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ditch - it doesn't exactly blend into the commuter traffic very easily does it

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 6/9/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Its taken a while, but the chassis is now nearly ready to start having bits bolted on.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JC

posted on 6/9/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still here! It's been quiet over the summer due to an old broken shoulder being a pain(!) however, about to bring the car home into the garage where hopefully progress will resume!
rpmagazine

posted on 6/9/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Still weighing components and accurately measuring suspension bits, chassis changed too as per thread.
Just got last issue of magazine done, so I have a couple of weeks to do work. Just sourced a 5 axis cnc machine to do the body work and negotiating with a spa company to get 4" of foam sprayed onto a mold in the future.

TheGecko

posted on 6/9/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I clicked still working on it but I felt a bit dishonest I've hardly touched the car in the last 3-4 months - combination of work, (and more work and more work!), cold weather (remember, it's winter down here in the antipodes) and family commitments.

All that said, things are on the up: I just finished a 5-week stint acting in my bosses job (he can have it!) which collected me some extra beer tokens. Plus, two lengths of 25mm round steel got delivered and I spent some of Tuesday evening turning innocent bits of pipe into squashed bends (may/will need to pack the pipe with sand as the bender I have borrowed is pretty basic). Those bends will eventually result in a portal frame for my scuttle bulkhead - think Lotus 23 as per photo:

Still very time poor but, as someone said to me a while ago: "Once you start putting schedules and time limits on it it stops being a hobby and becomes work". So, it'll be done when it's done

Dominic

kb58

posted on 6/9/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I finally got to see an authentic Lotus 23, and boy are they low; it make a Seven look like a truck. Here in the U.S. with the big SUVs, it would be dangerously invisible once you're closer than 50 feet to many trucks.

On the topic of projects, a buddy has an idea that's pretty nuts - very different from my Kimini. As a hint, it would be most appropriate to be wearing a leather helmet and goggles!

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

iank

posted on 6/9/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
On the topic of projects, a buddy has an idea that's pretty nuts - very different from my Kimini. As a hint, it would be most appropriate to be wearing a leather helmet and goggles!

Something like this?
http://www.spiritowners.co.uk/homeindex.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Alan B

posted on 6/9/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the middle of two middy projects....finishing one would be nice I guess..LOL
sgraber

posted on 6/9/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
HEEEEre I am....

I would say 'present', but nothing seems like a gift these days. The last 5% seems to take 95% of the effort....

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Doug68

posted on 6/9/07 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's good to see that there's people out there still going! Judging by the responses I think there's some lurkers on the forum too!

I'm sure we'd all like to know what you're up to or planning...

Here's my progress as of Wednesday night... Rescued attachment DSC03478.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC03478.jpg

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Doug68

posted on 7/9/07 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
BTW there's a bloke over here in Perth who's building a car under original Lotus 23 bodywork for track use.
He's got a Toyota 4cyl twin cam of some sort and a VW tranny in it.

Steve, whats the hold up now? Are you legal on the road yet?

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

v8kid

posted on 7/9/07 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
With me its just that last 1% thats the killer. Took the car on the track last night and it only lasted a couple of laps before a hose blew off - well I forgot to put a hose clip on actually and it would be in the most inaccessable place.

Gearchange is much better but the combination of a very high first gear and a lightweight flywheel makes standing starts a challenge.

SVA next month and then a winter of testing before the 2008 season I guess.

akumabito

posted on 7/9/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Still lurking! Since I'm not building anything, there's usually not much constructive/interesting I can say..
violentblue

posted on 7/9/07 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building a +4 seven at the moment, figured it'd be smart to do that first before beginning my mid engined build.

I have an evolving design, that I'm intending to start once the "7" is done.

a few pics of my other projects

airframefixer

posted on 7/9/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
It's good to see that there's people out there still going! Judging by the responses I think there's some lurkers on the forum too!

right here. Ive been dreaming about building one since I was 17 yrs old, finally building now. Career, lifestyle, and finances have aligned themselves to make this possible for myself.

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2142

R1 powered, scratch built, le mans inspired middy

Andrew

[Edited on 7/9/07 by airframefixer]

gttman

posted on 8/9/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Still working on mine..... slow progress due to work and the fact that I sold all my wishbones and uprights!

Have planned my Alloy fuel tank which is just being welded up and I have spent more time fettling the body, mainly around the winscreen frame and the hard top.

Frame and hard top work.
Frame and hard top work.

[Edited on 9/9/07 by gttman]

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

geoffreyh

posted on 8/9/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hey GTTMan,

Why did you sell your wishbones and uprights. Maybe they were so nice somebody offered you a fortune for them?

Geoff

mark chandler

posted on 8/9/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Frame coming along nicely, engine and G/box mated so will be having a look at solidly mounting the engine in the next few weeks.

Here its is hanging above my BEC, serious lack of space at present. Rescued attachment DSCF0031.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0031.JPG

gttman

posted on 8/9/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoffreyh
Hey GTTMan,

Why did you sell your wishbones and uprights. Maybe they were so nice somebody offered you a fortune for them?

Geoff

Basically yes lol.
Didn't make any money on them and it took the guy 8mths to convince me to sell him the lot.
He had the wishbones, uprights, bearing hubs rose joints, steering rack etc etc.
And I have also just made him 2 radiators and the petrol tank so it looks like he is hoping I will end up selling him a complete kit as I develope it.

The main gain for me is that it is paying for me to redevelop the rear end so that it is repeatable in the future.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

andybod

posted on 8/9/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
does rebuilding the noble count i ticked the box anyway Rescued attachment noble build photos 041.jpg
Rescued attachment noble build photos 041.jpg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.