Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 954 fireblade emissions
pick

posted on 6/11/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
954 fireblade emissions

Hi, my car has been for its sva this morn but has failed on its emissions, it has a cat fitted and an electronic unit that bleeds air into the mixture (to hopefully lean it up)

has anyone got any ideas how I can get the emissions down further for its retest?
Cheers

worX

posted on 6/11/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a power commander?

pick

posted on 6/11/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
No, but will get one if it will improve the emissions?
cheers

alfasudsprint

posted on 6/11/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
surprised you didn't make it. Power commander with a a downloadable prog for SVA the way to go mate.

Tim

worX

posted on 6/11/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have a standard Carb'd Blade so i didn't have to do this modification.

The reason for using the Power Commander is the ability to tune your fuelling requirements to your engine's new home in the car. So things like High Performance Air filters, different length exhausts can be catered for by altering the fueling.

The second reason why people fit them is because you also have the ability to "upload" a "Lean Map" to the PC and therefore Run this Lean Map on your test and so hopefully will come in under the emissions.

You can find PC's in a variety of places, Bike shops, ebay and probably Malc of Yorkshire engines and also maybe Andy of AB Performance.

HTH

Steve

edit: ONE ON EBAY - CLICK HERE
quote:
Originally posted by pick
No, but will get one if it will improve the emissions?
cheers

[Edited on 6/11/07 by worX]

Toady1

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
are you using the std airbox? the pair control system feeds air into the exhaust ports to fool the emmisions reading so it doesn't actually lean the mixture out. If its wired in properly then it shuts off whilst driving. A power commander will enable you to re-map the fuel mixture at idle to get you through, but I wouldnt advise driving like that! what was the reading btw?
watsonpj

posted on 6/11/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I used a unit like this for my 919 blade and it passed fine. Is it the Balckburn automotive unit (arodo industries) cat unit/controller if so it should work upto 1300cc. See summary pic below.

Cat
Cat

if it is this one its really important that you set you engine up very slightly rich before you switch the unit on. I know Amalyos used my unit and used color tune to set the engine up slightly rich and he got a really good pass.

hope this helps Pete

pick

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the help,
here are my readings for the test..
co required = 0.30 my reading =4.37
hc required = 200 my reading =578
lambda required between=0.97 -1.03 my reading =0.860

what do you think?

p.s. I have used the std trumpets out of the airbox but fitted pipercross filter 'socks' to them. all the std sensors are still attached

[Edited on 7/11/07 by pick]

chockymonster

posted on 7/11/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
thanks for all the help,

what do you think?

p.s. I have used the std trumpets out of the airbox but fitted pipercross filter 'socks' to them. all the std sensors are still attached

Where did you get the cat as those figures are really high. Is it a cat from a bike?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 7/11/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:
thanks for all the help,

what do you think?

Where did you get the cat as those figures are really high. Is it a cat from a bike?
It's running massively rich

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfasudsprint

posted on 7/11/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Pete,

how much was that unit. I have an injected 954, looks a good option to me.

Tim
ps, its welded into exhaust permanently, so you use all the time?

Toady1

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
tha socks wont be helping you, but I think its down to other things ie. cat and exhaust plus the induction combination.
pick

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too sure about the origin of the cat but its built into the back box I have on the car.

is there anyway I can check if the unit fitted to the vac system is working correctly ?

watsonpj

posted on 7/11/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cost me over 300 a few years back from fisher cars don't know if they still do them

Pete

Toady1

posted on 7/11/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm not too sure about the origin of the cat but its built into the back box I have on the car.

is there anyway I can check if the unit fitted to the vac system is working correctly ?

I take it you mean the pair control valve? if you take the single pipe off the air filter and can blow down it then its bleeding air into the exhaust ports, if you cant blow air into it then its not working. It will work all the time if you just unplug it, but you'll get lots of popping and banging down the exhaust!

pick

posted on 8/11/07 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Toady I'll check tonight you don't happen to know what the standard emissions readings should be on a 954 ?
Toady1

posted on 8/11/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Im afraid i dont no, but it would have to have been under 0.5%co iirc to pass the cat test. Let me know how you get on and ill try and help out more if i can!
pick

posted on 10/11/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Toady,
Sorry for all the questions, I can't get my u2u to work....
What did you do with the solenoid valve that sits on top of the rocker cover and goes into the airbox, are you still using it or have you removed it and blocked the holes off?
Cheers
Shaw

Toady1

posted on 10/11/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
No its been removed and the pipes blocked off including the one that goes into the airbox, but ive done sva so dont need to worry about is emmission atm! Come mot time in 2 years i may have to refit it tho.
pick

posted on 6/12/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
just thought I would post a conclusion to the emissions saga.....for other 954 users...
the breathers on top of the rocker cover need to be left open for the emissions to be lower, if they are covered the hc will be really high as I found !!, i also got a power commander from ebay and got a lean map set on it which also drastically improved my emissions readings.
The car passed its sva last friday so just can't wait for the bloke to turn up and check the car so the dvla can assign a number plate.

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/12/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
ace!

That looks beautiful!

worX

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Congrats!!!

Steve

Toady1

posted on 7/12/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
yea well done mate, looks very nice! top engine choice too! Andy Bates has one in one of his cars thats been running 180+bhp now for nearly 2 years!

The pipes just bleed air straight into the exhaust ports so fool the testing equipment into thinking it has more fresh air in the emmisions, to kind of dilute the HC etc. It doesnt actually do anything to the mixture.

Be carefull in it tho when you get it on the road! Its stuuuuuuuuuupidly slipery on the roads now, and such a light car with so much power has NO grip! lol! fun tho!

[Edited on 7/12/07 by Toady1]

alfasudsprint

posted on 7/12/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
well done mate, and thanks for posting the follow up. should help me in the future.

Tim

pick

posted on 8/12/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind comments, I just can't wait for the dvla (or police??) to come and check it so I can get my plate sorted

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.