Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood suspension
Pdlewis

posted on 15/11/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood suspension

Hi Guys,

Just been trying to compile a list of jobs to do over the winter and the 2 top were convert the front sliding pillar to double wishbone and suspension and remove the original sierra springs and shock and replace with coil overs

I have been intouch with robin hood and they can do me 2 kits (one for front, one for back) containing all gaz shocks, wishbones and rear brackets. all this would be arround £700 ish (+ fitting which would cost me an hour for a bloke with a welder) this sounds a tad expensive to me how does it sound to you guys?

Cheers

tegwin

posted on 15/11/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a part built 2B sliding pillar over a year ago and have been slowly converting the front end to double wishbone suspension...Its not been a cheap or simple process and with hindsite I would not have bothered...

Lets face it, the RH chassis is rubbish and therefore, I would suggest you save your time and money and buy a chasiss that has been designed this decade out of modern and light materials and that already has wishbone suspension...

I know for a fact some of the suppliers can give you a shiny chassis for under £500...add the bones etc...

02GF74

posted on 15/11/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
agree, ouch!!!

* 4 shocks with springs £ 300
* front and rear wishbones, dunno, £ 100-200 tops
* brackets 50p
so thre is £ 200 unnaccounted for, are the wishbones gold plated? as that is usually extra.

can you not mount brackets to use say MK/GTS/Luego or other wishbones?

Pdlewis

posted on 15/11/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly I would live to sell it and get a new kit but its not the time of year to sell (i tried it on ebay a couple of months ago for a very reasonable £3850 with no interest apart from a offer of 2K)

I have a bit of play in the front suspension so it either needs rebuilding or replacing before next summer for the mot as it was them that informed me.

The only advantage of having their kit is its self jigging so there would not be any element of guess work which would be involved with individual components and as its not a book chassie i wouldnt like to get it wrong

phil.shelton

posted on 15/11/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to have a look at the wishbone setup on the front of mine no prob in wigston not far from end of m69
Volvorsport

posted on 15/11/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah , i know all about richards self jigging chassis bits !!!

with a bit of research , buy the shocks , make the wishbones yourself , be a lot cheaper .

the rear is just a different bracket , ive got some proper ones if your really stuck .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Pdlewis

posted on 15/11/07 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i figured the rear end would be easy to do. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to the old sierra swing arms on the back end?

Im not very confident with doing the brackets and bones myself due to the issues if they come off

Volvorsport

posted on 15/11/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
back end falls apart if you take that xmember out .LOL

im sure if you got al the bits together from local sources , a welder wouldnt charge much to do it .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

2b_pablo

posted on 16/11/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Im in the process of upgrading my rear suspension (pikey sierra springs and shocks) and there are a couple of issues Im having:

- is there enough width to allow a coilover to sit between the chassis and wheel?

- will a replacement shock (coilover) be long enough? The sierra shock is like 22" long ish.

- the mounts will need to be reinforced to take the extra load. Or new mounts made lower down the chassis.

I also contemplated buying a new kit and transplanting but to be honest I cant justifty the cost (few k) plus the SVA hassles. I have a blast in my hood and once I make the pinto go faster it will be fine.

I got a set of 4 coilovers for free from a fellow hoody so Ill mock them up etc and see how they look. I think there will be enough width as Im using wide wheels with a low offset so should have space.

little pic to illustrate the crappy shock setup.

Pdlewis

posted on 16/11/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi pablo

I think your trying the replace the wrong part!! The coil over replaces the blue spring in your picture and the red shock is binned as it is no longer used. This is how all the later 2bs are setup and is also how robin hood advise

Also on my existing setup the same as yours my shock mounts at the base of the roll bar not the back by the tub

I know hoods get alot of stick but now i have redone alot of mine i think it looks greate and drives pretty well, but i do appriciate why they have a bad reputation after seeing alot which have been thrown together using alot of the sierra bits eg the clocks and look really shabby there are still a fair few cosmetic schange id like but otherwise i do quite like the hood but an MNR is top of my wish list

cheers

Paul

2b_pablo

posted on 16/11/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
got a pic mate? now im confused!
Pdlewis

posted on 16/11/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I will have a dig about im sure ive seen one somewhere ill try and put it up tomorrow (wont be mine as i havnt done it yet)
2b_pablo

posted on 16/11/07 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
think Im ok now, check this thread for a couple of pics mate.

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=17630

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.