Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Standard EFi Questions
VinceGledhill

posted on 29/9/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Standard EFi Questions

I have removed my head.... no.... on the 2.0 pinto from my donor.... and there's absolutely no wear on the engine at all. So much so that there is still the cross hatch honing on the bores.

Lucky old me... yeah.

Now I've got the Des Hammil book on pinto tuning and was thinking about tuning it a bit.

If the bores had been worn, I was going to build a low compression motor and add a turbo later.

However they are not so (tight Yorkshire git) I cannot go spending dosh on new pistons etc to lower the compression.

Twin side draughts seem like a lot of money at £300 for a new kit complete with all the bits and bobs I will need so was thinking about robbing a set of injection parts from a later scrapper???

Please could you guys give me your thoughts about what else I will need from the donor, what sort of money the "caboodle" will cost me in the end?

Fabricating isn't a problem, I've got a "tig" kit and the wiring isn't a problem if I can get a hold of a decent diagram.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/9/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a 2.0i pinto and am using the injection, I have a pdf of the sierra wiring complete if you U2U your email address. It looks a bit daunting for a non sparky like me, but I am sure I will crack it OK.

You may need to drop the plenum, I have just done this and am really pleased with it. You will need the Injection head (just unbolt the head c/w plenum from a scrapper and drag what wiring you need from the same car (the ECU is behind the dash, but has an inspection hatch so is easily getatable)

If you need any help with the wiring, just let me know ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

VinceGledhill

posted on 29/9/03 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like great fun ahead. Whoever said this project was going to be easy. Hey one thing said.... I am absolutely loving every minute.....

So to the scrap yard dear Vince. You need.....

1 x Radiator... Polo
1 x Sierra fuel injection system
4 x Nissan Trailing arms

I suppose I'd better get ooooot there before it gets too cold.

Nothing better than removing trailing arms when it's *issing it down and all the freezing cold water is running down yer neck.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/9/03 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
It was torrential when I got my trailing arms, and the front uprights for that matter!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

DaveFJ

posted on 30/9/03 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
As Mark said you will need the injection head because the ports are a different shape. There is a short but not very detailed example of lowering the plenum on RHOCar.

I believe you will also need a different dizzy and of course a suitable electric fuel pump.

timf

posted on 30/9/03 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
you need the injection head because the head has some cut outs in it for the injectors.
dave1888

posted on 5/10/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at the RHO site and the injection plenum mod looks quite good the guy who done the mod is selling the kit to convert for £25 + delivery might get one myself
JoelP

posted on 5/10/03 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
two links that may be useful, both very interesting and given to me the other day by kind souls on here!

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pinto.htm

http://www.burtonpower.com/system/index.html

might have to shimmy them to get the right bit... never understood how the page can change but the address stay the same?

CairB

posted on 5/10/03 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've lowered the plenum on a 2.0 injection pinto in an Indy.

See thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=3840 for a lengthy chat we had a while ago.

Have a look in Cairb photos to give you some idea of the mod I did.

I bought the kit from David Wilson, problem is that there's not as much room under a locost bonnet as there is under a Hood's and the kit doesn't quite fit, in the end I used very little of the kit but it was good for ideas.

Mines still OK after 3k miles.

Others have tried a similar route then gone for carbs.

Mark Allanson, and others have done nice jobs by a different tack - a search of this site should yield other threads.

If I was doing it again I would go a route similar to Mark.

Cheers,

Colin

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/10/03 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
At some point I will put together a pdf of how I did it - and if I get the time - a website thingy, my son does the for other people for cash so shouldn't be a problem, just will cost me a few taxi drives from the local gigs at 3:00 in the morning!

Just a quick pic to give an idea of the general layout Rescued attachment Plenum7.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum7.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/10/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
That gives the general position, this is the (almost) finished job Rescued attachment Plenum6.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum6.jpg

VinceGledhill

posted on 6/10/03 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
That's knackered me then. I've put the Y shaped braces in the engine bay as per the recommendation on here. This reduces my engine bay at the near side somewhat.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/10/03 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dont worry, the plenum chamber has 16mm clearance over the braces on the chassis if you put your block height at 5mm higher than the chassis tops (bellhousing 25mm below the lower chassis rails).

Just make sure you use stiff engine mounts!

danro

posted on 17/10/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

How did you arrive at the size and shape of you new plenm chamber.
Is the total volume crucial?
What things need to be taken into account when constructing a new chamber?

cheers
Danny

JoelP

posted on 17/10/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
and whilst stuff is being explained, does anyone know what is meant by 1000cc injectors? heard of a skyline with 6x1000cc injectors. and what is the purpose of bigger injectors? is it just to allow bigger turbos? thanks in advance!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/10/03 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Danro,
The shape and size of the plenum chamber was determined by the space available, I made it a big as possible, to counter act the lack of design knowlege, and knowing that, as carol Shelby said, there aint no substitute for cubic inches. I assumed that the air being sucked in would behave the same as gasses being pushed out. A badly designed exhaust manifold with 1.5" ID tube will perform better than a computer designed one with 1" ID tube. So I made it to fill the available space. Rescued attachment Plenum11.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum11.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/10/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
........as for 1000cc injectors - I haven't got a clue - sorry

JoelP

posted on 18/10/03 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
ah well... looks damn nice anyway! a good job.
CairB

posted on 19/10/03 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,

From your photo it looks like your air filter inlet will breathe hot air from near the exhaust, which is ok for cold starting, but not good for power. Insulating exhaust wrap should help if its a problem. I keep intending to measure the air filter inlet temp on mine which is on the other side of engine to yours, to see if I can gain umph by getting colder air to it. Warm air is one of the BHP attenuators.

PS - Have you considered your design as a marketable item?

Cheers,

Colin

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/10/03 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I had considered the temp of the air supply, but my exhaust goes almost straight down from the manifold and will have an extractor cowl around its exit. I am also considering having a horizontal fan which will sit directly under the bonnet and draw out all the hot air through a bonnet louvre.

As for marketing it, I don't even know if it works yet!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.