Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaiffe reverse box
Wheels244

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Quaiffe reverse box

Can anyone give me their FACTUAL account of their experiences using a Quaiffe reverse box please.

I've already fitted one to mine (still in build ) but have read differing opinions on them.

Quaiffe are renowned in the rally world for their LSD's, gearboxes etc....

Why would the reverse box be any different ?

Not wishing to offend anyone , but could the replies be limited to people who have had 1st hand experience.

Thanks.

worX

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I understand why you would phrase it in a certain way as the last time this was posted it became a bit contentious, but at the same time I think it was still discussed relatively well.

Anyway!
My only experience is on a friends Westfield Megablade, and he had to fabricate an elongated tube coming out of the breather hole, with a breather filter on top. And even then, the breather still was quite saturated with oil.

This however was several years ago, so my comments only apply to that model.

All the best,
Steve

Wheels244

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve

That's one of the things I'd heard - they tend to push oil out of the breather - I got a catch tank from MNR when i bought the kit.
Did it give any mechanical problems ?

Rob

watsonpj

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one its done about 3500 miles now. Its not keen on oil it chucks it out through the breather at the top but as long as you top it up its fine (gives the underside a nice protective coating ). I have had no oil leanks from gaskets seals etc. I have had the bearings on the output shaft replaced by quaife once at 1000 miles and it looks like its heading that way again now. It is very noisey (whiney) in reverse but who cares it not something I use that often. Forward gear has a little bit of backlash which contributes to the drivetrain noise a bit, but if your using a bec its barely noticeable above all the other noises. If you've got one already they are OK so use it and enjoy your car, but check the oil level and bearings periodically.

Pete

Wheels244

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete

Just what I'm after.

How did the bearing failure manifest itself ? Was it noise, play or mechanical failure ?
I'm not bothered about noisey reverse - like you say, it's not used that often.

What oil do you use ?

Overall, are you happy with it ?

Rob

watsonpj

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Should have also said get a TRT prop to go with it, it really does make a difference to the noise level and must also save you diff and reverse box from large torque spikes.
Wheels244

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Already fitted one
Ricks-9r

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
ime in the process of fitting mine (today actually) on rubber mounts to cut down on transmission noise ,then got to order the prop from DUNNING & FAIRBANK on Monday hopefully ,that's another £190 with the postage & vat ,Heard a few stories of these boxes ,of oil coming from the breather but i think this is only if overfilled with oil ,but ime going to do a longer breather pipe on mine also to hopefully stop this maybe a catch can aswell,was also thinking of some sort of cooling for it ,ether water or fan not sure what to do yet

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Ricks-9r]

watsonpj

posted on 30/11/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I noticed the bearing failure at my first MOT, the guy had the car up on the lift and I was having a good look underneath (nice friendly local garage) and just happened to check the the bearing and noticed there was a lot of play. Quaife charge £109 to replace it which is a bit of a rip off considering its clearly a design weakspot. THe bearing thats a problem is at the reverse switch end. I just use standard gearbox oil 80/90 (i think it is) although I know that quaife suggest 75/90 synt but it didn't protect my first bearing.

Pete

watsonpj

posted on 30/11/07 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you need to cool it, its in the tunnel there should be plenty of airflow past it.
I'm wary of the 'its only if you overfill it' because of the bearing failure I'd rather loss a bit of oil than have the bearing go.

I have considered buying one of these

Ricks-9r

posted on 30/11/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
I noticed the bearing failure at my first MOT, the guy had the car up on the lift and I was having a good look underneath (nice friendly local garage) and just happened to check the the bearing and noticed there was a lot of play. Quaife charge £109 to replace it which is a bit of a rip off considering its clearly a design weakspot. THe bearing thats a problem is at the reverse switch end. I just use standard gearbox oil 80/90 (i think it is) although I know that quaife suggest 75/90 synt but it didn't protect my first bearing.

Pete
Ime sure a half decent bearing suppliers would have stocked a bearing a 1/4 the price of Quaife £109 price did you shop around for one ?

watsonpj

posted on 1/12/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
No I didn't I wasn't aware of the quaife bearing issues at the time and sent it back to them for inspection as I thought a failure after only 1000 miles was pretty poor. They agreed but I couldn't prove it was only 1000 miles and it was more than a year old (a nice long build time) . So they charged me for inspection and service ie parts and labour, so i guess theres a lesson learned which is don't send anything back to quaife.
Dillinger1977

posted on 1/12/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
ive got one, with a breather fitted, and no TRT prop
I havent done many miles in it at all and not used it a great deal tbh. Its a bit of a pig to engage it when completely stationary, and obviously not wise to try when moving forward at all, so i find that a little bit of easing off the clutch while engaging it usually clunks it into action.
other than that is seems fine.

-Rog

busakid

posted on 1/12/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
reverse box

i have had two quaife reverse boxs with no trouble,they are abit clunky but to be expected with bike engine clutch etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.