Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Adj ride height
kango

posted on 6/12/07 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Adj ride height

Is there an accepted design that is used on the 7s where one can adjust the ride height without adjusting the springs.
So what I am saying is there a design to move the shock mounting points?
Just making bib brackets with lost of holes is not the idea. some fine adjustment is needed.

Macbeast

posted on 6/12/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I don't see how moving the shock mounts would do what you want. Wouldn't you have to move the wishbone mounting brackets ? (or fit bigger wheels and adjust tyre pressures )
nick205

posted on 6/12/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure why you'd want to do it that way and not use the built in shock adjustment to achieve the same thing.

However you could use off centre mounting bushes/eyes or adapter plates for the top shock mount. Similar to the off-centre mushroom adapters widely used to attache the upper wishbone to a Sierra front upright. That would allow some fine tuning.

blakep82

posted on 6/12/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
you could make the first known 7 with hydraulics

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough I was also looking at this for my new car, the idea being ride high could be adjusted without affecting the total stroke of the coil-over. A simple series of holes one above the other on the upper shock mount on the chassis would be one way to do this.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 6/12/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
push/pull rods and inboard coilovers?

i guess you could make a threaded adjuster for the top shock mount if outboard, like a landrover adjustable height tow hitch, but as has been said, i don't see what your need is for it.

it's also probably easier to engineer the shockers to be inboard than actually make the above work well too.

tom

tks

posted on 6/12/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
search for air ride....
there are pneumatic chocks for that

tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

kb58

posted on 6/12/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
What's the purpose, for show? If so it doesn't matter how it's done. If it's to lower the car for the track, be aware that once the ride height is changed away from the designed value, the RC and camber curves change, and probably for the worse.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matty Dog

posted on 7/12/07 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
Use a Citroen as your donor
Doug68

posted on 8/12/07 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you want to do this to get the corner weights right and - or to correct for construction tolerances?

Here's 2 methods to do it...

1. Bolt rather than weld on the shock top mounting bracket and use shims between the frame and bracket to get the desired result.

2. Put the top bracket onto a threaded bar which is wound in and out of a suitably threaded and securely mounted tube on the frame.

Both of these methods are used on sports motorcycles. I'd suggest a trip to the local bike shop for more ideas.

Also some shocks such as this one...

Are adjustable in length as well so this also a possibility.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 9/12/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Adjusting Ride Height

Various Methods, in order of elegance

1) Use torsion bars and at the dead end adjust the angle of the arm with a bolt, wedge or screw jack. Look at a Morris Marina to get the principle. The factory actually used this method to trim ride heights due to the way the splines were rolled.

2)Mount each suspension on subframes and space these from the chassis

3) Use Citroen.....actually very easy

4) Use adjustable pushrods on the inboard coil overs

5) use airbags

6) Hydraulics.

But as has been said altering ride height throws out your carefully designed (you have carefully designed?) geometry. Suspension is designed around a working height.

kango

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Just trying to keep the shocks in their 1/3 of their stoke when the car is set to the correct ride height.
Dale

posted on 13/12/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have considered doing this, but would work much better on inboard shocks. The idea I had would just be for speed bumps ect. Just an electric screw drive or air cylinder to turn a cam which would adjust the bottom plate as to where the dead end of the shocks would be. There are speed bumps in my town that I am sure that must be around 4 inches high.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.