Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: internal/external waterpump
Ringius

posted on 16/12/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
internal/external waterpump

Hi all!

I am planning for building a middy around the VAG 1.8T engine and transaxle.
Now I have realized that some of these engines have an internal waterpump and some have an external water pump.

Could someone please explain the differencies between internal and external waterpump and, if possible, to give some hint of what would be the best choice for a middy application. I would assume that an external waterpump would be the best, since the cooler will sit in the front of the car and the engine at the back, - I assume it is easier to replace an external waterpump with something a bit more powerful in order to secure circulation in the longer coolant pipes that I will have (compared to original setup)?

RazMan

posted on 16/12/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Why not go for an electric water pump - works well for me in my middy. It also releases a few more horses which is nice

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ringius

posted on 16/12/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds lika a good idea.
Would that mean that the internal/external question is irrelevant, or is one of the configurations easier?

RazMan

posted on 16/12/07 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Basically if you remove the original water pump and drive belt (if it has one) you can replace it with an ewp and put it in a convenient place. Mine is in the engine bay but there is nothing stopping you mounting it up front if you have a front mounted rad.
Couple that to a dedicated controller and everything is taken care of automatically. The pump simply kicks in when the temps dictate and is totally independent to revs.

Check out the Davies Craig website for more info. Link Best mod I did on my engine - the cooling is fantastic whatever the conditions.

[Edited on 16-12-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ringius

posted on 17/12/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Razman, andn many thanks for your help.

As I see it (right now at least ) ), EWP is the way to go for me as well.

Best Regards,
Ringius

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.